USB HDD for vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Itachi2099, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Itachi2099
    OP

Itachi2099 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    Hey guys and gals, can anyone give me some advice?

I installed Homebrew Channel for my vWii on Wii U and decided to use a 500gb hdd i used on my original Wii for it.

The problem is that it seems that the Wii U doesn't support it fully without the Y USB Cable? When i load the game and play it, everything is fine and great, but then the HDD itself shuts off for a second and then boots up again, which doesn't affect the game or gameplay at all, just a frame of freezing and it goes back to playing no problem, no freezes or graphical/sound bugs.

My question is, can that bring any harm to the HDD or even bust it up? With this rebooting once in a while by itself? Or is it a risk and i should order the Y Cable for it online?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That might just be the HDD going into sleep mode.

3. Itachi2099
    OP

Itachi2099 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Moscow
    I disabled that in Wii U's options though, i can still hear the drive rebooting when playing vWii on it.

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Anyway I would recommend getting a Y-cable, it's probably not good for the drive even though it probably won't outright kill it. It might shorten the lifespan.