USB advance, multiple partitions to external HDD

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Sumea, Dec 26, 2010.

Dec 26, 2010
  1. Sumea
    OP

Member Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Finland
    Hello GBAtemp!

I am in process helping my friend who I've provided softmod with help of my own PS2, ESR and told about different loading techniques as USB and internal HDD.

For my friend, finding a network adapter with compatible HDD is hard task, but he DID get a 1TB external hard drive this year; Buffalo JustStore Desktop (own power supply etc.)

Initially we did as OpenPS2loader tutorial said; make two partitions with windows HDD tool, first one is 160Gb for PS2, and second including rest of space is NTFS system for all his PC files and such. Then the 160GB partition was formatted with USB advance tool to FAT32 system (using the tool itself) - after what I used USBinsane to install games on it.

Thing is; they DO work mostly on openPS2loader, but even with newest version compability is a bit of hit and miss, especially when SKSapps list shows some games we have had no luck with to be compatible with USB Advance.

I DID get a ELF of USB advance and have it ready, but it does not detect the usb HDD even trying several ways connecting the HDD (have it inserted before booting USBa, disconnect before power on, launch USB advance, THEN connect etc.)

So, in short, I'd like to get a guide/guidance to get this partitioning scheme work with USB Advance. As said, it DOES work quite well with most current version of OpenPS2Loader, 0.8, but there is games that I think will work better on USB advance.

THANKS for all help and stay classy GBAtemp!

2. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Try OpenPS2loader 0.5 on the games that you are having trouble with. I found a few that would only work with this version.

3. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    Will try that.
    Some game included in troubleful ones are .hack (this is pretty wide known to have problems but SKSapps still lists it working fine from USB), fatal frame and Ratchet And Clank 3 (repeatedly crashes in one scene at opening)

Still, thanks!

4. Sumea
    OP

Finland
    Compability actually seems to be even worse with games we test (now dothack crashes even FASTER than 0.8 openPS2Ld) - if anyone has a good tutorial for multipartitioning HDD to work (specifically) with USB Advance I'd still try that before saying "FUCK THIS SHIT" and just havinig hot sex with open PS2 loader rest of our lives.

5. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    You are useing PowerDefragmenter to defrag all the games before you play without that you will get crashes.
    Well i give up i cant get Ratchet and clank 3 to run on USB. Internal HDD it works 100% with patch.