USB 3.0 External Drive - Work With Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by A4orce84, Jun 28, 2017.

1. A4orce84
    OP

A4orce84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Hello Everyone,

I found an old 1TB External drive, and wanted to plug it into my Wii to use the increased capacity. Right now in my Wii, I just have a small 1GB SD card for all my emulators + roms + homebrew stuff, so I want to take advantage of the external drive for getting new roms and things.

Drive details:
    http://imgur.com/a/lbfMJ

I am using this wiki to see if the drive is supported with the Wii, and not having much luck:

Drive Compatibility Wiki:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for all of your time and help!

2. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    I currently can't access Imgur, as I'm at school doing technical for drama, but I'll be home soon.
    Have you formatted it to either FAT32 or NTFS? The former is recommended if you are using more than just Wii games, the latter if you're using it for just games (WBFS/ISO)

3. A4orce84
    OP

A4orce84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    I haven't done anything yet to the drive. I want to first know if it will work with my Wii before I do any formatting and updating drive configurations. I've read USB 3.0 drives can cause problems with emulators and loading things correctly, so that's why I created this thread.

Basically, I want to know if I can use this external 3.0 USB drive, or if I should go pick up a 2.0 USB drive to use with my Wii.

Thanks!

4. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Since 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0, you should be alright.

5. A4orce84
    OP

A4orce84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Hey Yepi69,

I would have thought the same, but if you look at the wiki I pasted in my original post, it looks like there are some hard drives that are NOT compatible with the Wii for a variety of reasons.

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    There's not really any way to tell other than to try it. There are some drives that are known to NOT be compatible, though.

7. A4orce84
    OP

A4orce84 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    What's the best way to test it? Just plug it in and see if the Wii can read the drive?

Last edited by A4orce84, Jun 28, 2017