Hardware US version 3DS in Asia

CrooJerr

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi everyone!
I'm buying an US version 3DS in China. Here there's no problem to find the machine and games at good price. But I have a big doubt and can not find any post related to it: Being outside USA (China), with its 3DS version, can I play online, download games from eShop or update the firmware using my WIFI connection?

Thanks!

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Yes. What you cannot do is download videos for Nintendo Video and use the 3DS' Netflix (and possibly Hulu, if it comes out).

other than that, you'll be fine. you can access eShop, download firmware updates, Spotpass, everything.

Reactions: 1 person

Codename

GREEN BRO IS BEST BRO
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. What you cannot do is download videos for Nintendo Video and use the 3DS' Netflix (and possibly Hulu, if it comes out).

other than that, you'll be fine. you can access eShop, download firmware updates, Spotpass, everything.
Why not download Nintendo Video videos? If he is able to download the NA software from the NA eShop, then why would Nintendo Video and Netflix not work?

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
I have Japanese and European 3DS's:
Online: Yes.
eShop: Yes, but requires you to buy eShop Cards from a that region, or just use your Credit Card (Credit Cards can be used from any region).
Update: Yes.

You'll only find out, that you'll be having trouble with Video-based Apps, which are locked on location IP (not even Proxies work, I even tried that), and you'll also find a problem, when your Friend wants to do Multiplayer, but he/she has a Japanese or European/Australian 3DS.
It's because both, Download Play, and Local Play, are fully region locked.
There's no problem with Online Play, though.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
eShop: Yes, but requires you to buy eShop Cards from a that region, or just use your Credit Card (Credit Cards can be used from any region).

You'll only find out, that you'll be having trouble with Video-based Apps, which are locked on location IP (not even Proxies work, I even tried that), and you'll also find a problem, when your Friend wants to do Multiplayer, but he/she has a Japanese or European/Australian 3DS.
I'd have to contest the credit card thingy. Nintendo's eShop tends to reject local credit cards, even if branded Visa or Mastercard. you will probably have to use internationally branded credit cards (like HSBC or something). also, there will probably be exceptions, but for the most part they probably won't work. i know eShop refuses most of the local credit cards from my country except for a few.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
I second the rejecting credit card thing.

I tried 4 local credit cards and they are all rejected. Then something scary will happen. You card provider will call you telling Nintendo is charging you amount you tried to load x 4 @_@

@^
I even tried my buddies HSBC card.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
No.
I can charge my Japanese 3DS and European 3DS, using a Dutch Credit Card, without any problems.
It's just Sony and Apple, who reject foreign Credit Cards.
I don't know about Microsoft, though.

The Credit Card used, is a PrePaid Visa Card.

ameerh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Local cards dont work... I tried my card in Pakistan.. The card was rejected but i was still charged..

Easiest way is through www.maximuscards.com/... Its instantaneous.. after you press the submit button.. theres an email from the website with your prepaid card serial :D

You have to pay a little more though.. its 22.99 for a 20 dollar prepaid card

Disizdream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Video-based Apps, which are locked on location IP WORK with Proxies. I use the Nintendo Video App on my American 3DS every week with a proxy while I'm in France and it's working great.
And about the region locked multiplayer, not all the games are locked in Local multiplayer (while all the games are region locked on Download Play). So far all Nintendo games are region locked in Local multiplayer (except pokedex 3d and streetpass) but all the capcom games are working great between every region in Local multiplayer.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
I did try a variety of Japanese Proxies on my Japanese 3DS, none of them gave me Nintendo Video access.
StreetPass works, I know that, but that's not really Local Multiplayer (vs 2 cartridges).
The only Local Multiplayer game I have in both regions (EU and JP), is Mario Kart 7.
So maybe that's where I came from?

Disizdream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did try a variety of Japanese Proxies on my Japanese 3DS, none of them gave me Nintendo Video access.
StreetPass works, I know that, but that's not really Local Multiplayer (vs 2 cartridges).
The only Local Multiplayer game I have in both regions (EU and JP), is Mario Kart 7.
So maybe that's where I came from?

That's really strange that japanese proxies doesn't work for you...

Concerning the Local Multitplayer games, see this post with my experiences so far:

http://gbatemp.net/topic/317862-so-im-thinking-of-importing-a-us-3ds-for-my-birthday/page__p__4050917#entry4050917

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.