US DSi on 220V

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Tweet2002, Sep 8, 2009.

Sep 8, 2009

US DSi on 220V by Tweet2002 at 9:24 PM (716 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Tweet2002
    OP

Newcomer Tweet2002 Newbie

Netherlands
    Hi All,

I have bought an Nintendo DSi in the US last week and brought it to the Netherlands. As you probably know the charger doesn't fit since the plug is different. So I tried it with a converter on the original charger, but at that moment the DSi didn't charge. So I borrowed an original dutch charger from a friend and that one worked.
    After that I bought a 220V charger that came in an original package. But when I started charging, I already felt that the charger was getting hot pretty quickly and after twenty minutes, the complete charger with the DSi on it blew up! It sprung open and smelled burned.
    Luckally, it didn't harm the DSi, it is still working (I bought it for my son (7 years old) with my son's hard earned money!)

Does anybody understand why this happened and why the original charger that I borrowed from a friend had no problems? Maybe just a bad one?
    What charger should I buy to be safe so that this doesn't happen again?

The charger I bought from internet has the following details:
    Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz
    Output: DC 4.6V 900 mA

Any suggestions are welcome!

2. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Stick to an official Nintendo charger if you can track one down, they do sell them individually.

3rd party chargers are always a bit hit and miss, it was probably a poor quality one. I remember watching one melt into the socket of a friend's laptop once :S

3. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    we always use 3rd party charger here since we have 220v. Dunno why yours blew up. The problem here is that in the next few months, the charger will not charge due to loose wires.