Upgrading SD Card

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by rev52, Jan 1, 2014.

1. rev52
    OP

rev52 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    United States
    I recently did a system transfer using Gateway's 2.02b update. It worked like a charm and I am more than happy with being able to play my games on my Gateway system. That being said, I decided to upgrade my SD card from a 4gb card to a 32gb. I tried to write my old card's (4gb) image into the new one (32gb) but it is telling me that I only have about 800mb of data left. The writing essentially blocked out the rest of the available data from the 32gb card. I am relatively new to this and I would really like to know how to make it so that I can use my old 4gb partition with my new 32gb card and still use all of the available space. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    assuming you are talking about a nand back up, just back up the system again with the 32gb card inserted

3. Belmondo

Belmondo GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2007
    New Zealand
    I just did the same thing. get a program like paragon partition manager. backup your data from your old fat 32 partition, format that partition back to fat32 (don't format the emuNAND) and then extend the partition the remaining 28gb. then copy your backup'd up datea back onto the sd card. done.

4. rev52
    OP

rev52 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    United States
    Could you possibly give me a step by step guide? I am new to this and I am worried that I might lose my information.

5. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Before you start, you may want to backup your SD card contents... like the 3DS folder just in case something goes wrong. You can also backup your EmuNAND using this tool here:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-v1-0.359239/

1. You need to backup the image of the card you are replacing.
    2. Write that image onto the larger SD card.
    3. Download a free partition managing program (I use EaseUS partition manager)
    4. With the larger SD card in the computer, load up the partition program. It will show all your drives and their current file structure. You should see your SD card on there as whatever drive letter it is assigned as . This is what it should look like... I don't have screenshots so I will improvise NOTE: My letters are for labeling purposes:

|__A___=======B=======______________C____________|

A. Is labeled as unallocated space BUT this is your emunand! DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MESS WITH THIS!
    B. Should be labeled as FAT32 and this is the usable area of the card... like where your 3DS folder and launcher file are, etc.
    C. Is the unallocated space that is the extra storage on your larger card.

5. What you need to do is right click the B area and do resize partition. It should bring up a slider or something similiar. You want to to resize it past the space AFTER the partition NOT before!
    6. When you are done, it should look like this:

|__A___====================B====================|

There should be no unallocated space after the FAT32. Then click the Apply button and it should perform the action and you are done.

6. rev52
    OP

rev52 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2014
    United States

Awesome. It worked perfectly. Thank you.

Ryft likes this.