Upgrading from homebrew 4.2 to 4.3

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xanthux, Oct 27, 2013.

1. xanthux
    OP

xanthux Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2012
    United States
    I recently bought a refurbished Wii. It's in 4.2 and already softmodded, but I want to update the system to 4.3 so that I can play Skyward Sword (USB loader). The main problem is hackmii.org is down. Is there any way to upgrade without deleting HBC/bricking the system?

2. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    You don't need to update your wii system to play SS, just try to run game.
    If he don't work, just use modmii to install/update your cIOS and Loader.

3. xanthux
    OP

xanthux Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2012
    United States
    I tried using ModMii but it still wants to connect to HackMii. I'm updating IOSes using Pimp my Wii, if that helps?

4. boomario

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    It's not recommended but it works
    you can just skip the part of hackmii if you already have homebrew channel,
    just check if you have bootmii.

5. xanthux
    OP

xanthux Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2012
    United States
    How do I do that?

6. boomario

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    When he asks "Its your first time modding wii?" tell no and choose what you need:
    Loaders, cIOS and everything,
    just don't forget to keep same system menu version.

7. rusty shackleford

rusty shackleford Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    United States
    What I did when mine was on 4.2, i just ran the system update from the menu. I've done this several times so i know it works. Then use the letter bomb exploit at please.hackmii.com or do this here http://gbatemp.net/threads/wilbrand-launcher.328943/ . Then run pimp my wii from the homebrew channel and let it do its thing.

8. xanthux
    OP

xanthux Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2012
    United States
    I tried using those two programs (ModMii and WilBrand), but they keep on connecting to HackMii.org and BootMii.org, which are down at the moment, to download necessary files. Both failed.

9. xanthux
    OP

xanthux Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2012
    United States
    Was your 4.2 already had HBC BEFORE updating? I've read that it's dangerous and might brick the system.

10. xanthux
    OP

xanthux Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2012
    United States
    I think my Wii doesn't have BootMii. I opened HBC, pressed the Home button and chose BootMii. It only resets my Wii. Doesn't load anything. I can't download the file because the website is down.

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There is no reason to update to 4.3, and ModMii shouldn't be trying to update you to 4.3. I suggest you run a sysCheck and then use the SysCheck Updater option in ModMii to update the recommended IOS and cIOS files on your Wii.

12. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    What you've read is a load of crap. Having HBC while updating is not dangerous in the slightest. The absolute worst thing that has ever happened to anyone in that situation is HBC being deleted.

Any other issues are either caused by some other crap (e.g. cIOScorp, softmii etc. - stupidly invasive system wide modifications), or completely unrelated (e.g. wii's bricking when Nintendo updated boot2 to remove BootMii from some Wiis - happened to wii's with and without HBC, made no difference having it).

For a considerable amount of time now, the latest version of HBC has been able to withstand the latest official updates, and there is zero reason to avoid updating or update things manually.

13. Damian666

Damian666 Coder from Hell

Mar 24, 2010
    Netherlands
    In your code...
    i always update using official nintendo's update, never had any problems whatsoever.

hbc is simply a portal, nothing more.

brickmywii, thats trash...