Hacking Updating..

Jerry2015

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there really any reason to hold off on updating anymore? We have cfw and exploits for every fw now.. I've had my switch on 2.3 since I got it. I've literally only played Zelda and never connected it to the internet.. If cold boot is the only reason, I just don't care anymore lol. I always play my switch at home so it's not a big deal... I know I can update my switch without burning fuses but it's a fairly long guide and I'm feeling lazy.. And on top of that, If I update past 4.0, my cartridge slot becomes unusable on anything Lower...I print jigs and sell them so I have pretty much everything I need...

So I guess I need to decide if I'm going to follow the update without burning fuses guide or just update.. Am I missing something? Is there any other reason not to burn the fuses? I'm ready to start using my switch again and playing something other than Zelda..

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
I saw a thread on Reddit that claimed if you turn on auto RCM before you update, then when you reboot right after the update it won't burn the fuses so long as it's to RCM/cfw.

This does make sense, just be aware if you ever do boot that stock horizon the fuse will burn.

Edit - Its been pointed out that the update will remove the autorcm, so you need to have a jig present (and holding vol - ) when the switch reboots from the update. But then you can immediately re-enable autorcm and it will stick forever so long as you don't change it.

Last edited by iriez,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason you would not update without burning fuses is because following the guide is too daunting for you which is not necessarily true as it is detailed to ensure no mistakes are made whatsoever. It also installs AutoRCM by default so if you are uncomfortable with that, you may not wish to follow the guide. However, AutoRCM can easily be dealt with appropriately so long as the console is powered off correctly. There is an easier but riskier alternative (here) but it doesn't include instructions on how to prevent your cartridge slot from being updated when updating to a firmware above 4.0.

Also, lower firmwares have unreleased warmboot exploits, not coldboot. We already have a coldboot exploit but it involves a jig and USB cable which may not be desirable to everyone. The unreleased warmboot exploits will most likely involve loading a webpage. There is a theoretical coldboot exploit up to 3.0.1, but no one has been able to achieve it to the best of our knowledge.

Jerry2015

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warm boot is what I meant, sorry.

The guide isn't daunting.. I have no problem with it and have read through it. It's all laid out and is simple stuff. It's just a lot of steps and will take a bit. Like I said, it's really just me being lazy in that aspect.. I'll probably end up doing it that way.. I just didn't know if there were any other benefits. I'll need to make a nand backup either way.. And it would be nice to have so I could reflash it before I ever go online.. I really don't want to get my switch banned and th at would help a bit. I've been trying to hold off until things were a little more stable.. It seems like things are getting there now though. There weren't really many other games out that I wanted to play until recently. I haven't played in a few months and am tired of Zelda lol. I just need to sit down for an hour or two and go through the update procedure I guess.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I saw a thread on Reddit that claimed if you turn on auto RCM before you update, then when you reboot right after the update it won't burn the fuses so long as it's to RCM/cfw.

This does make sense, just be aware if you ever do boot that stock horizon the fuse will burn.
AutoRCM is removed on a system update.
Source: my switch

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there really any reason to hold off on updating anymore? We have cfw and exploits for every fw now.. I've had my switch on 2.3 since I got it. I've literally only played Zelda and never connected it to the internet.. If cold boot is the only reason, I just don't care anymore lol. I always play my switch at home so it's not a big deal... I know I can update my switch without burning fuses but it's a fairly long guide and I'm feeling lazy.. And on top of that, If I update past 4.0, my cartridge slot becomes unusable on anything Lower...I print jigs and sell them so I have pretty much everything I need...

So I guess I need to decide if I'm going to follow the update without burning fuses guide or just update.. Am I missing something? Is there any other reason not to burn the fuses? I'm ready to start using my switch again and playing something other than Zelda..
do not update over 3.0.0 stick to 3.0.0,thats my advice or get a second switch if you would like to play new games.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

do not update over 3.0.0 stick to 3.0.0,thats my advice or get a second switch if you would like to play new games.

Jerry2015

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I didnt know that. I'll probably just use the method we have now rather than waiting. I have a little bit of time off work tomorrow.. Finally. I just wasn't sure if it was worth it. But I guess I've waited this long.. I'm pretty sure I saw there was a way to update without updating and burning the game cart slot.

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You answered your own question. If you don't really care about coldboot then update. Coldboot is only "guaranteed" for 1.0.0 anyways. Warmboot is possible for 4.1.0 and below. However, the current bootROM exploit is faster and seems like less of a hassle than a warmboot exploit.

No need to follow the overly complicated guide. If you want to update without burning fuses just update normally. Prior to the console rebooting at the end of the update process, insert a jig and hold vol + so the console reboots into RCM. Install autoRCM and then boot your preferred CFW. The fuses only burn when you boot normally. Noteworthy is that the first version (or first two versions?) of SX OS would burn fuses. This is no longer the case.

shchmue

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is, yeah. just search the thread if you have problems, i've kept up with it the whole time and basically everything has been answered 5+ times, especially stuff about how to use CMD but if you're solid on that you'll be just fine

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes and no. It's true that if you don't allow the system to boot normally after the update (boot directly to RCM) you won't burn fuses. However, you can't simply enable autoRCM prior to the update. The update fixes boot 0 and thus removes autoRCM.

Jerry2015

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, like I said, I have no issues with the guide or doing any of the process. Its simple stuff. I just was curious if there were any other benefits other than warm boot. I'm not going to buy sx os. If anything I'll use atmosphere/hecate/reinx. I still need to read up on the benefits of each. I stopped lurking here for a bit and came back and there was a lot of new options/methods lol.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only reason you would not update without burning fuses is because following the guide is too daunting for you which is not necessarily true as it is detailed to ensure no mistakes are made whatsoever. It also installs AutoRCM by default so if you are uncomfortable with that, you may not wish to follow the guide. However, AutoRCM can easily be dealt with appropriately so long as the console is powered off correctly. There is an easier but riskier alternative (here) but it doesn't include instructions on how to prevent your cartridge slot from being updated when updating to a firmware above 4.0.

Also, lower firmwares have unreleased warmboot exploits, not coldboot. We already have a coldboot exploit but it involves a jig and USB cable which may not be desirable to everyone. The unreleased warmboot exploits will most likely involve loading a webpage. There is a theoretical coldboot exploit up to 3.0.1, but no one has been able to achieve it to the best of our knowledge.
About the cartridge slot, does how does SX OS handle that?

Jerry2015

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and no. It's true that if you don't allow the system to boot normally after the update (boot directly to RCM) you won't burn fuses. However, you can't simply enable autoRCM prior to the update. The update fixes boot 0 and thus removes autoRCM.

Yeah, that's too risky. Might as well update normally. All it takes is one time for it to boot to horizon and fuses are burned. I'm going to bite the bullet and use the no burn guide tonight or tomorrow. I'll kick myself in the ass later if I burn the fuses lol.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's too risky. Might as well update normally. All it takes is one time for it to boot to horizon and fuses are burned. I'm going to bite the bullet and use the no burn guide tonight or tomorrow. I'll kick myself in the ass later if I burn the fuses lol.
you so funny!! lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.