Update or not Update for Luma

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by guki92, Aug 7, 2017.

1. guki92
    OP

guki92 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    United States
    I bought an 3DS XL today. The firmware version is still 9.2. I want to install a custom firmware, so my question is, is there a benefit of updating the 3DS (to 11.3) and then installing the CFW with Soundhax or does the original firmware version not matter?

Thanks in advance

P.S. What is important when buying an SD Card, which manufacturer is best (I remember the Wiiu likes Sandisc)

2. targren

targren Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United States
    According to 3ds.guide, 9.0.0-11.3.0 is all soundhax. I think you need CFW to upgrade to a specific version that's not the latest anyway (not sure though), so I'd do the CFW first just to be on the safe side.

The most important factors in an SD card are size and speed. I use a Samsung 64GB 80MB/s ("EVO Select") card and haven't had many problems with it.

Last edited by targren, Aug 7, 2017
  3. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Just use the guide from your current firmware via SoundHax. As for the SD card, don't buy one online unless from the manufacturer. If you find a 128GB on Amazon for $16 you know that shit is fake and will cause you nothing but trouble. That doesn't stop people from buying them because "OMG, only $16!" You can get a good 64GB (which is more than enough IMO) for like $10 from your local Walmart/ Department Store. I've been using a cheapo sandisk I got from wally World for over 5 years now, and it works just fine.

Quantumcat likes this.
  4. guki92
    OP

guki92 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2011
    United States
    Thanks for the replies. One more question: When you install CIA Files on the SD, do they take up the same space as the file size or do they get bigger on the card?

5. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Same size, though I'd recommend using a network installer for smaller CIAs and using the "install and delete CIA" option in FBI for larger ones since there is no reason to let the CIA take up double the space after it's installed.

6. PagaN

PagaN GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Cuba
    I have o3DS XL 9.2 with (b9s+luma 8.1) emunand 11.5 working good.