Update on day0?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by HorreC, Nov 16, 2012.

Nov 16, 2012

Update on day0? by HorreC at 5:30 AM (718 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. HorreC
    OP

Newcomer HorreC Advanced Member

United States
    They are talking about this HUGE update we have to do right off the bat, that made me kinda pissed, I have a shit wireless card for internet out here in the country. I was telling my friend that I would just stop by his place and use his so I could get it and head home, then I thought if there is a hole in that that would allow for homebrew I would be pissed. I also thought, well nintendoland dosent need it, and I am sure mario and dance party 4 and the workout game (my purchases on day1).

Does anyone else plan to leave theirs on factory firmware till they NEED the eShop or video chat or what ever else you are looking forward too that it would put on there? I dont think I would need online play till MHTU, you?

2. 59672

Member 59672 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    There's a day0 update for a pretty good reason, it was so they could start making wii Us while finishing off the software side for some features like Wii mode. If they didn't there would likely be a whole lot less wii Us made in time for launch.

3. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    Nintendo wants you to lure you into updating to get standard features so you can become acquainted their eShop. Its a sneaky promotion if you will.
    As for homebrew on firm 1.0, forget it, there is 0% chance the Wiiu's security will be that soft. If there is the unlikely existence of an exploit, I'm sure it'll be in firm 1.1 as well.

tldr--you're not missing out on anything by updating

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    When looking at the features, it's got quite some reasons to update.

My guess is that hackers will simply start looking for exploits in that day 0 patch and not the original firmware. So unless you want (and know how) to look for exploits just for the fun of it, I'd say the update is the best way. All in all, I even think that a patch that's rushed to make it in time for the release day is more likely to introduce bugs than the basic firmware that's probably been tested pretty thoroughly.

HorreC likes this.
  5. HorreC
    OP

United States
    I think you might have a good idea there, plus its going to be easy to get a hold of then the one that is sitting fully encrypted and what not (not like the update wont be). I still think I might wait and see if I really need those features for anything.

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    nintendo have learned from the wii so security will be very tight, plus with the fact that firmware updates will be handled the same was as 3ds updates so expect 0-1% chance of the firmware been cracked on day one.

yep, it's very sneaky of them but that is how they lure you in so you become heavily reliant on the eshop, it won't help that a lot of people will be buying retail games in digital format too.

7. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    if it's like the 3DS, updating the firmware online doesn't require you to connect to eShop nor even agree to their license agreement.
    Adding programs to access eshop and Nintendo Network on the first update doesn't mean users will access it.

I updated my 3DS, but never accessed eShop on it ,even if there's an icon on the menu, because I never accepted their license.
    Nobody is forced to use and buy games online.

8. HorreC
    OP

United States
    Well I didnt mean crack it right off the bat but have the update by watching what its downloading. And I didnt realize that on the 3ds you dont even get a user agreement to agree to (which I thought was industry standard) I wonder how their legal dept feels about this, and what agreement we have accepted that says we will install all updates, other then you wanna use the eshop then get your ass on board.