Update 3DS to specific firmware

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by onepiecefreak, Oct 26, 2015.

1. onepiecefreak
    OP

onepiecefreak The Special One

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    I found this topic many times, but there were inconsistencies about the given information.
    Now I want to know how I will be able to update the emunand of my new3DS XL Majora's Mask Edition from 9.0.0 to (for example) 9.5.0 or 9.7.0.

I have a Gateway3DS with Ultra 3.4.1. In sysnand I installed the DS Exploit and I also have a Zelda OoT exploit savegame. I have the NUSDownloader...

Pls, I need any explanation on how to download and install the specific firmware I want.

Thx,
    onepiecefreak

2. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    You have to install sysupdater in emunand, get the update pack, place it in your SD card and run sysupdater.

You can't get the update pack from 3DNUS anymore, you have to download it from some iso website, there is one really famous but that info can't be requested/shared in this website, is against the rules.

3. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    1) you can only update till 9.5 on new3ds
    2) NUSdownload is useless for your purpose because Nintendo removed the old firm from server.
    3) found a full 9.5 update on that ISO site according to your region and download it, should be 104 or 105 CIA files.
    4) Install sysupdater in your emunand
    5) create a folder named "updates" on the root of your microsd card and put all the cias inside.
    6) run sysupdater and let him do his things

4. onepiecefreak
    OP

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    But I found many news articles where they said with minimum GW Ultra 3.2.1 you can use emunand 9.7 on new3DS.
    But thx for the explanation. I try it ASAP.

5. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Nope, new3ds -> 9.5 for now

6. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    N3DS emunand update was blocked with the 9.6 new encryption, impossible to update emunand to 9.7 without breaking that encryption.

7. onepiecefreak
    OP

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    Hmm... ok whatever these news sites told. :D
    And on the github site of sysupdater they mention that I shouldn't use this tool on things like gateway mode because of firmware spoof.
    Ok, notice to me, try to find a way to deactivate the firmware spoof of the gateway emunand and rxtools.

8. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    That's for sysnand update, you should avoid gateway or deactivate firmlaunch in pasta or use rxtools devmode, but you are trying to update the emunand so it's ok. By the way are your sys/emu unlinked? I'm not sure if it could lead to a brick if they are still linked

9. onepiecefreak
    OP

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    Hmm, I did that many times. So I think if I formatted an emunand and then formatted the sysnand they're unlinked right?
    Then yes. My systems are unlinked.

10. night_hawk

night_hawk GBAtemp Fan

Dec 3, 2014
    Italy
    Yes just open your microsd card -> nintendo3ds folder -> if you see 2 folders with random numbers then they are unlinked. You can also select a theme in sysnand and another in emunand, if they are unlinked the 2 themes will stick separate

11. onepiecefreak
    OP

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    Yeah, I just pointed that out, too. But I first wanted to update my emunand before I change anything, because of... idk, maybe because of my personality or something like that.
    Thx, for that.