Unsure on FW help

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by mingmong24, Jul 2, 2019.

1. mingmong24
    OP

mingmong24 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    Hello, so i followed this guide https://www.cocoscope.com/watch?v=26479 to set up emunand. If i boot into emunand or sysnand and try to see which fw i am on by going into system setings it just says 'System Update Ready'

So what is the best option to update sysnand as i want to play online, Do i just apply the update? What does choidujourNX do? And can you use it on Sysnand?
    And how do i go about updating emunand?

Thank you for the help

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    • You can update normally if you're using a clean NAND that, for example, hasn't had NSP files installed to it.
    • ChoiDujourNX can be used to update your sysNAND or emuNAND version to whatever you want. You can use it on your sysNAND, yes, but if you're trying to keep your sysNAND clean for online play, I'd recommend updating normally. All hackery should be done on a dirty/offline emuNAND.
    • I am assuming you are using the RCM exploit for your hacks. If you are using the warmboot browser exploit on 4.1.0 or lower because your system is patched, you cannot update your sysNAND.
    • If you have AutoRCM installed, you need to be running Atmosphere when you install updates to your sysNAND through official means. Otherwise, AutoRCM will be removed, and you will have to reinstall it.

3. mingmong24
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am using a jig and pushing payload from pc ( thats RCM right?) I never installed AutoRCM as i read in a post that someone said it could possible be detected by nintendo and as i want to play online with the sysnand i never installed it. Is it correct it could possibly be detected?

Also when u say clean nand... I installed atmosphere about a month ago but i didnt ever install anything, all i ever did was open the menu using R button and clicking album. Then i put switch away until atmosphere released emunand. Is this still concidered a clean nand? Thanks

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Yes, that is the RCM exploit.

It's highly unlikely that AutoRCM is detectable, and there's no evidence that anyone has ever been banned merely for having AutoRCM installed.

Merely loading Atmosphere one time has probably don't nothing to dirty your NAND; it's probably still clean. In the future, you should not use CFW with your clean NAND.

5. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2019
    Slovakia
    Is this your assumption or did you analyze all the telemetry Nintendo is using (this could also change in future fw releases so even if you did it might not be valid for too long)? Just cause not banning anyone for AutoRC doesn’t mean they can’t detect it (nor that they can).

I’d probably consider this to be bigger problem than AutoRCM, again possibly detectable. Whether Nintendo does detect it and decides to act based on that information is also unknown (at least I don’t see it as a fact either way).

Lacius likes this.
  6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    There is nothing currently in place that allows AutoRCM to be detected from Horizon. BCT verification is something that happens outside Horizon.

Running CFW on a clean NAND is not recommended, yes. But merely loading Atmosphere one time and not installing anything is unlikely to have been detected, and it's unlikely to have left any traces behind. There hasn't been a verified case of this leading to a ban, particularly since error log redirecting became a thing a long time ago.

PHiLiPZ likes this.
  7. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    @Lacius - Users can now take the 8.1.0 FW Files and Update with ChoiDujourNX, yes? Having problems with a few Games. Either wont Install, wont allow a Update NSP, or wont run (gets stuck at Loading, or Crashes at Loading)

8. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2019
    Slovakia
    8.1.0 cfw works and can be installed that way. Remember to apply the patches.

9. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 17, 2015
    United States
    Carmichael, California
    The 2.0.0-8.1.0 exefs/kip Patches? Already done :D

10. mingmong24
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    So i have update my sysnand to 8.1 and checked my burnt fuses, its at 10. Is this normal and does everyone who plays online with sysnand on 8.1 have 10 burnt fuses also?

I dont really understand what these fuses mean, i just see alot of talk about them

Thanks

11. PHiLiPZ

PHiLiPZ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2019
    Slovakia
    Yes, 8.1.0 has 10 burnt fuses.

1.0.0 -> 1
    2.0.0-2.3.0 -> 2
    3.0.0 -> 3
    3.0.1-3.0.2 -> 4
    4.0.0-4.1.0 -> 5
    5.0.0-5.1.0 -> 6
    6.0.0-6.1.0 -> 7
    6.2.0 -> 8
    7.0.0-8.0.1 -> 9
    8.1.0 -> 10

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Fuses are a way to prevent downgrades. If you update to 8.1.0 normally, then you will have ten burnt fuses. If you try to boot anything lower than 8.1.0 (without Hekate or another bootloader) on a system with ten burnt fuses, the system will refuse to boot. If you don't care about being able to downgrade in the future, then you don't really need to worry about fuses.

Once fuses are burnt, it's irreversible. It's a physical modification to the system.

It is possible with AutoRCM to update to a system version (e.g. 8.1.0) without burning any additional fuses. This requires that you boot the system through a bootloader like Hekate or fusee-primary every time. That means some people are on 8.1.0 but have fewer than ten fuses burnt.

I'm on 8.1.0, and I have only three fuses burnt.

Last edited by Lacius, Jul 4, 2019
  13. mingmong24
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    Thanks guys. I have no clue why I didnt use AutoRCM. I thought that was related to just booting into cfw but now it makes sense.

14. mingmong24
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    So things are running great using emunand and sysnand, question i have is can i install emunand onto 2 different sd cards? I own several 128gb sd cards. Thank you

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can have two different emuNANDs on two different SD cards. What you install on one likely won't appear on the other though. The sames goes for save files.

mingmong24 likes this.
  16. mingmong24
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2015
    Thank you :)