Unique headers for 3DZs: What about second hand cartridges?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by retrospect, Apr 12, 2015.

1. retrospect
    OP

retrospect GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2008
    Presumably it's the unique ID that makes a first hand ROM dump unique, but if the game had a prior owner, or if the game is sold after being dumped, then that ID could become public and commonplace, right?

So a dumped 3DZ is only safe if you've had the game cart from new and not sold it on; and the same goes for a unique header ID - it should be from a game cart you've had from new and not sold on.

Correct?

2. gokuguy

gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

Dec 5, 2008
    United States
    Correct. If the cart was previously owned, it means there is a possibility that it was dumped and used before you obtained it. If the cart is sold afterward, it means someone else has the cart and its possible that you and the person with the cart will go online together. If you want to be 100% sure that your header is unique, you need a game that you know hasn't been dumped before and is in your possession, either from a new copy or from a copy you know hasn't been dumped, from a friend or something to that origin.

retrospect likes this.
  3. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    People are making too much out of this unique cart stuff. The bans stopped and they were removed a week after they started. I have personally been online with my own dumped cart and rom at the same time without issues.

4. Poryhack

Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

Oct 18, 2009
    United States
    If you assume the worst from Nintendo, then yes. Personally, I think the very point you mention (nefarious users can make a header public and then sell the original game to an unsuspecting buyer) is why Nintendo won't take a heavy-handed stance against piracy in this manner (again). They would be punishing legitimate users which loses them money and good-will.

What they can do is be a little more intelligent with their ban criteria. Say they see an NNID go online with one public header but the same person has already gone online dozens of times with legitimate unshared headers. For now at least they can probably assume that user is not a pirate. Conversely, if an NNID goes online on 10 different games with the same public header that user is probably not a paying customer and can safely be banned.

5. ultimatetemper

ultimatetemper GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2010
    Most bans happened on games that required an update to play online (Pokemon, Smash and Mario Kart), maybe the problem is in there.

6. mb2010

mb2010 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2015
    I sold a header earlier from a brand new game (no i will not use myself), that way you know only the person receiving the header will have it. I've read people buying games to rip and then returning them, that totally defeats the object. In short only brand new games are a reputable source of truly private headers.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    The header is not truly private unless you bought the game brand new and dump it yourself.