Underlying Wii behaviour

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dogway, Sep 19, 2010.

Sep 19, 2010

Underlying Wii behaviour by Dogway at 5:34 PM (4,202 Views / 0 Likes) 40 replies

1. Dogway
    OP

Member Dogway GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    OK, this is different.
    I have 3 friends with hacked wii, and me, 2 of them have older versions, and the other 2 (included mine) are new. Here comes the funny thing: The older Wiis can run GB, and GBC games with VBAGX smoothly, the other 2 are kinda choppy. I cant run SDL-mame(the original) 0.125, one friend with the old one CAN. This leads me to think about a new failure that ocurred me yesterday, I cant run GC backups with wiikey (as noted here), I can even load to first game screen with the studio logo, then it freezes. So what in earth is happening underneath? what makes my wii different from my friend's? I thought it was exclusively and only the D3-2 drive.

I have looked for people with these same issues, but I didnt find anybody. Let's disclosure this! : P

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Sounds like an IOS version issue.

You should run SysCheck on all of them, and compare the reports.

3. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    I have passed Syscheck, but anyways pointing out the most simple example like the VBAGX one, shouldnt just they report the necessary/optimal IOS on their official release webpage, or in the readme.txt? However I haven't find anything related to this, so it shouldnt be an IOS issue. Maybe the internal libraries or something I dont know/understand about...(?)

4. harmor

Member harmor GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm pretty sure all emulators use cIOS249.
    The only way I know off the bat to see what revision of cIOS249 and what base you used is to use Configurable USB Loader.
    I'm sure there are other programs that'll tell you but I don't know what they would be.

Compare the revision number (ex: rev19) and the base (ex: IOS 38) with the other two Wiis.

5. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    Its cIOS249 rev.17. Dont know the base, I do have CFG Loader, how do I check the base? btw my friends have if not the same, older revisions than 17 of 249, it would be somewhat akward to think that the latest VBAGXs work better with old revisions.

6. snikerz

Member snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Liechtenstein
    lol no.

7. burritoboy9984

Member burritoboy9984 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wow, you are helpful... Fwiw, tantric's emulators use ios58... The others are probably using ios202...

-Erik

8. raulpica

Italy
    Actually, emulators should use whatever your HBC is currently running on (you can check that by pressing home in the HBC, it should be written in the upper left corner), unless they're specifically programmed to reload into another IOS.

9. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    my HBC says IOS61 v19.26. But that's system menu's IOS. So then 58 or 61? and how these system menu IOS relates to graphics performance?

10. raulpica

Italy
    Older Wiis might even still be using IOS36. That'd be worthy to check.

If the Wiis are using different versions and or even different IOSes fro HBC, they might have slightly different behaviors, which could range from slowdowns to random crashing.

11. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

IOS has nothing to do with graphics at all. The obvious thing to check would be the video mode settings.

12. rAiN mAn 2o0o

Member rAiN mAn 2o0o GBAtemp Regular

United States
    like dude said check to see if it is set on filtered or unfiltered and whether or not hq2x is on or off... hq2x slows a lot of games down on wii.. they look better.. just choppy.. (pc becaue of more power doesn't have this problem)

as far as SDL MAME goes... check to see fit he versions of are the same.. older version of it looks like shit.

13. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    You mean base IOS36 for what cIOS? I would like to know how to know the base of my cIOS, and cMIOS versions. A more complete analysis than syscheck does.

14. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I was talking about the system video settings, 480i vs 576i vs 480p.

15. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    Its unlikely. One of the working old wiis from a friend is plugged like mine, composite. I believe 576i (480i looks horrible, at least on PAL TVs)

16. petspeed

Member petspeed GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    You wrote earlier you have cIOSr17 installed. You can't choose base for cIOS earlier than r18 so no need to check.

17. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Roms being played off DVD, SD or USB?

Media might make a difference.

18. raschi

Newcomer raschi Member

Norway
    576i will give you choppy emulator playback. Using PAL roms will in most cases also give you choppy playback. Games are optimized for 60Hz.

19. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the storage media wont make a bit of difference while you are playing a rom. the entire rom is loaded into memory before the game starts, with the exception of huge ones like certain n64 games.

i say either it is a video mode setting slike already mentioned, or you are trying to compare different games on different wiis which makes your comparison shitty. vba-gx has certain games that lag or dont play properly, no matter who's wii you are using

20. Dogway
    OP

Spain
    @petspeed: Maybe I couldn't choose base, but do you know what base was used then for rev.17?

Well, all of us play off the SD (same SD brand&model). Roms are the same, because I gave them to dem. And this same friend has 576i, but hims works. And GameBoy choppy? Its not Color, Advance or anything. Its the simple old Dark&Light green GB. I recall testing with both Super Mario Land and TMNT. I can ask him again, or test it on his console by myself. But maybe just to confirm what I have just said.

This has to be related with cIOS or internal Wii instructions or something...