Hacking Unable to start software. Return to the HOME Menu and try again.

everton1985a

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
[SOLVED] Solution at the end.

Hello,

Something very weird is happening. I was playing Super Mario Odyssey, and it worked flawlessly for a long time, then when I'm about to beat the game, the image and sound freezes, but since I could still use the Switch menu, I closed the software after a minute. Soon after, Nintendo gave an error saying that the file is corrupted, and prompted to run a check, and it confirmed that the file was corruputed. Then, the game simply didn't launch anymore, giving the error "Unable to start the software. Return to the HOME Menu and try again."

With this I did the following steps:
1) Redownload the game using TinFoil
2) Reinstalled the very same .xci file I had stored on an HD (using the SX OS default installer on album)
3) Rebooted the Switch (for some reason, on my device it takes ages, and a lot of trying to get it on after a reboot, but this also didn't help)
4) Tried installing only the base game, and downgrading the required version to boot up
5) Downloaded a brand new file, this time in .nsp format
6) Tried installing the game on Nand instead of SD Card
7) Tried deleting the Tickets for the game on Tinfoil
8) Tried launching the game after deleting the save file and also on a brand new profile

I did all those steps just after getting the first crash on the game, so I haven't updated nor installed anything new that could mess up that game. I'm really bugged as to why the console seem to have blacklisted that game or something. I installed a different game after this and it worked fine. I'm not sure if it could be a SD Card problem (even if I install it on Nand, maybe some files of the game still goes on the SD?). But even if it is the case, it's weird that I can install other games fine, but Mario Odyssey simply won't work anymore.

Any ideas?

My config is a Switch with SX Core
SX OS 3.1.0, firmware 11.0.0

Thank you.

--- Finally it's solved.

What did the trick, was turning off the console, then launching it up holding VOL+ plus Power. Then just choosing to boot SX OS in custom firmware. Apparently just getting into this menu cleared up some cache files or something like that, that was messing up with the game.

Last edited by everton1985a,
Reactions: petspeed

nicotina117

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same problem with Monster Hunter Stories 2 Demo, ive been playing for a while just fine but suddenly doesnt work anymore, showing the same error that you posted. I tried the solution at the end but no luck for me D:

PurifiedCrystal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem
==Your method does NOT work for me==
This only started happening after I updated to sx os 3.1.0 and firmware 11.0.0
Installing or running the XCI game both do NOT run the game...

What I find working was only with an ext HD
1) install the game to switch with Tinfoil
2) Running the game from switch will not work, HOWEVER
3) Run the game via USB drive (load cartridge / XCI) will now run the game..

That is the only workaround I have found

Note: To save space, you can run the game in xci once, then you can go to tinfoil to update the game without installing the whole game (if you have an account). This way, you have the update installed only without installing the game.. so you still need the ext HD.

Last edited by PurifiedCrystal,

Zacharythewhip20

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the same problem with Monster Hunter Stories 2 Demo, ive been playing for a while just fine but suddenly doesnt work anymore, showing the same error that you posted. I tried the solution at the end but no luck for me D:
Mine is smo too but i did a trick in assist mode where you warp when you are just touching the lava/magma and it bubbles you to your last safe spot BUT when i warped to the oddysey it just crashed. I tried restarting my switch and it did nothing for me. WHAT SHOULD I DO????? P.S. i tried this with BoTW and Animal Crossing: New Horizons and it just said the error code that you posted. >.< WHAT SHOULD I DOOOOOOOOOO??? im so confused and i just wanna play botw so i can pracice wind bombing... hope you can help me. Thanks!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is smo too but i did a trick in assist mode where you warp when you are just touching the lava/magma and it bubbles you to your last safe spot BUT when i warped to the oddysey it just crashed. I tried restarting my switch and it did nothing for me. WHAT SHOULD I DO????? P.S. i tried this with BoTW and Animal Crossing: New Horizons and it just said the error code that you posted. >.< WHAT SHOULD I DOOOOOOOOOO??? im so confused and i just wanna play botw so i can pracice wind bombing... hope you can help me. Thanks!
Try deleting the mod first.

AnonymousScripter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem

What I find working was only with an ext HD
1) install the game to switch with Tinfoil
2) Running the game from switch will not work, HOWEVER
3) Run the game via USB drive (load cartridge / XCI) will now run the game..
Okay, so. None of anybody's solutions worked for me, HOWEVER, I did find ANOTHER solution. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but now that Atmosphère exists and SX OS is like, old, this is happening most likely because you are missing SigPatches.

The Answer for you scrollers and non-readers:
- Missing SigPatches
- Look it up and you'll find it

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm recently getting this issue with booting up homebrew like Tinfoil and Homebrew Menu
Are you created another threads about this problem? I think you get the answer on these other threads, and as you can read on the last post (before yours) of this thread, again the answer is:

YOU ARE MISSING THE SIGPATCHES.

99.99% of the problems are bad contents folders and/or missing sigpatches.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you created another threads about this problem? I think you get the answer on these other threads, and as you can read on the last post (before yours) of this thread, again the answer is:

YOU ARE MISSING THE SIGPATCHES.

99.99% of the problems are bad contents folders and/or missing sigpatches.
Yeah i just realized that was the issue, it just slipped my mind was all and i thought it was cuz atmosphere was f'king up again like 1.3.1 was and assumed that was the reason.

I got it and it works now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: