Hacking Unable to load browser without updating via the internet...?

Elusivity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Got a 2nd hand 3ds today and it's running 7.2.0-0E, it was wiped prior to my buying it.

Trying to get the go.gateway-3ds.com hack working to downgrade but it keeps coming up with "The internet browser will become available once you update your system via the internet. For details, visit support.nintendo.com."

Weary of upgrading as it'd obviously push me to 9.4 and therfore kill any chances of this gateway hack working.

There's no QR reader in the photo app (that I can see) and Miimaker's QR reader comes up with "The QR code does not contain a Mii."

From what I can see the Gateway card currently being shipped to me is useless without being able to run this hack...

I updated to 8.1.0-0E via a game cart and I'm still getting the same issue.

Has anyone been able to force a 3DS to open the browser after a format?

If not I guess I'm screwed... :(

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Try this, insert a game that doesn't require a patch to play online and get your Friend Code.
Also if you wanna scan the QR code go to the menu and hit L + R it will activate the camera (not the camera app), on the bottom left corner near quit there should be a small checker board, click that and it will activate a QR scanner.

Elusivity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Only have one game atm which requires an update to download a software update to play online so I'll have to try to source one based on other's suggestions.

Can't seem to load the image here, but as you can see there isn't a QR code option in the camera section of the home menu.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26srtkfmqotzwjc/Borked.jpg

Also annoyingly Spot Pass pushes updates to the 3DS but wants me to update the Firmware to run any apps, so that also looks to be locked down :(

y03usw6e

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If the only game you have requires an update, try updating with that. There aren't any games currently with 9.3 or 9.4 updates, so GW would work on whatever version it is. It'll probably fix 1 of the problems or both.

Elusivity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the suggestion Pestilence204, but I actually bought Fantasy Life in order to do that, went from 7.2E to 8.1E but I still have the same issue, it seems that internet services just don't want to work unless I upgrade via wifi not a game.

Elusivity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also 8.1 is the newest FW available on a purchasable E/AUS game cart, so I won't be able to try this again. Really starting to look like I'm SOL, but I'll try _v3's suggestion and see if I can source my friend code, via a few friend's games although I'm unsure how that'll let me load the browser.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I saw a post the other day on this forum from 3dsbrew saying some network features aren't carried in game cart updates, only online updates.

Much sad if true.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't just keep trying random stuff and make things worse. Be patient and give the some of the more experienced members of the community a chance to evaluate your situation. Hang in there. :)

There is some well sourced speculation that the next update will use another method to run the exploit, possibly Mii Maker. This one is a beta.

Reactions: Jack_Sparrow

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah this guy is just a bit screwed.....he has tried everything i can possibly think of to get the browser working....nothing seems to work

last thing you can really do is just wait to hear from gateway if the final release doesn't rely on the browser, or take the 3DS back and get a replacement one that isnt on Ver. x.x.x-0

Elusivity

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thorasgar, if the situation is bleak or it's just going to take too long I might as well just pay a little more to trade this 3ds in for another 2nd hand 3ds which has been online and therefore works, but I'm not exactly trying random things :)

The QR codes I've been trying to load are ones which load go.gateway-3ds.com, an alternative site and via the Android Go Gateway app, the firmware update was also a calculated attempt to get the Browser installed, and 8.1 is obviously still within the 4.5-9.2 range.

Now I'm on to other alternatives, but it does make some sense to use the Mii Maker, it's a reasonable attack venue if you buffer overflow the QR reader.

mech, yeah I have repeatedly on both 7.2 and 8.1

gamesquest, haha I love the optimism! I guess I'll just wait a little while for the final or give up and swap the console for one which has been online before, obviously costing myself more money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.