Um, how do you copy a ps1 game again?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by codezer0, Mar 3, 2011.

Mar 3, 2011
  1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Okay, here's the skinny:

Finally got a copy again of my first game for the PS1. After what happened with my first copy, I'd like to say, rip/copy this one to a CD-R/ISO for safe keeping.

Sadly, I understand that the ps3 won't be able to play this copied version, but at least I have a chipped PS2 in the meantime. Above all, I want to keep this working copy safe... game's about 15 years old, after all.

Or is there a way to rip the thing so that it can be played like those PSOne classic download games on the ps3? [​IMG]

2. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just make an ISO. I'm not sure how badly they wanted to protect these so you may have to use a swap trick if your disc gets damaged.

3. codezer0
    OP

United States
    I remember alcohol had some kinda preset for handling PlayStation discs. Problem is you can't even find an archive torrent of the game anywhere.

4. kjb1686

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Step by Step here you go

First, you'll need to download Alcohol 52% Free Edition. You can also use Alcohol 120%, but for the sake of this guide, I'm going to touch on Alcohol 52%. After you have downloaded and installed it, make sure you restart your computer for changes to take place effectively. Now you can do the following:

Step 1: Select Image Making Wizard

Step 2: Select your CD/DVD drive

Step 3: Check on Read Sub-Channel Data from current disc

Step 4: Select your datatype from the drop down menu to Play Station

Step 5: Click Next button to continue

Step 6: Choose your destination folder for the Image Location

Step 7: [Step optional] You can change the name of the image under Image Name

Step 8: Change the Image Format into CloneCD Image File (*.ccd)

Step 9: Click on Start to begin ripping.

The file that you'll be interested is the *.img file. That would be the ROM file.

So there you go, you now have a copy of your PSX game in your hard drive.

5. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Tried that. it won't do it. Complains that the error is too long to correct. [​IMG]

6. kjb1686

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well i don't know then i have used that tutorial to rip more than a few ps1 games to play on my psp and it has always worked flawlessly.

7. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It could be that the drive you're trying to use to copy it is having a hard time reading those black discs.

8. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Huh. Good point, I'd never tried this before, since I usually was able to find an ISO to download and ready to go beforehand.

Used to using my DVD-ROM to rip and read, which was having trouble. A couple of retries with the burner, and it managed to finish the rip, and I got my iso. Time to see if this works [​IMG]

Surprised nobody has tried making an app that turns these ISO's to a pkg like those PSOne downloads on PSN. That would be... glorious. [​IMG]

9. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Um, small problem I think...

Burned the disc image with imgburn. after a quarter of the way into the disc it started throwing up a bunch of miscompares, until it gave me the option to ignore those in the verification phase. Now, I play the freshly burned disc in my modchipped PS2... the PS1 logo shows up, but then... that's it. I can hear the game audio going so I know something's running correctly there, but the video will only show the playstation boot logo.

Did I forget something here? Am I missing a crucial step in this process? Can Alcohol 52% burn the disc with the appropriate subschannel data, I'm assuming...?

10. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I always used cdrwin to copy retail PS1 games from disc to PC, then to a blank cdr, never had a problem.

11. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Does CDRwin work on Windows 7?

12. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I believe the latest does, don't forget, back when I used it, it was 1998!!!!
    also, cloneCD worked....

13. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Okay, an update.

Managed to get myself a copy of Alcohol 120%, which was able to read the .sub and stuff so I could burn my own copy again.

I got a phat ps2 with a Matrix Infinity Modchip, running the last available 1.93 firmware that I could find. The disc can be heard playing properly now, and it has no more "cannot read CD!" errors while playing it. However, for whatever bizarre reason, it won't output anything but the "PlayStation" BIOS bootup logo when I start it up with the component video cables. When I swap these out and plug in the standard composite A/V cables, it works perfectly fine. But for numerous, obvious reasons, I definitely do not want to do this every time to play one game, especially when every other game in my library (copied and legit) for PS1 and PS2 do not require such hoop-jumping on said chipped PS2.

14. craig588

Newcomer craig588 Advanced Member

Your TV cant handle the resolution, the PS2 tries to output PSX games in 240P when running on component cables, composite or Svideo will force it into 480I mode.

15. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Um, as I just finished typing, this is the only game that does this. I've quite a few copied and legit PS1 and PS2 games to go through, and none else have exhibited this behavior.

16. craig588

Newcomer craig588 Advanced Member

It's probably attempting an even crazier resolution that your TV doesn't like. Through composite cables it's forced to 480I, but with component there's no strict restriction on what may be sent out.

17. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Would it help that I mention that it's Wrestlemania : TAG ? First game I had on PS1, and one I played to its literal death in my ps1. Naturally, want to preserve this special piece of history in my life [​IMG] I know it's an oldie, but it's a classic to me.

On other fronts/versions, I finally got a build of MAME that runs it, but zero explanation on the controls makes it a pain to try and remap them appropriately.

18. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    The sub-channel data are needed only on some protected games.
    Between each sectors there are data used by some readers to determine some playback features such as the length of the silences between audio tracks. these data are not part of the audio, but are hidden data written in the "sub-channels".
    On PSX they used these information for Anti Piracy check.
    if you don't read/write sub-channels data, then you can use patch to fix the anti piracy check.

Not all the games have an AP, so you can just try creating image and burning the iso as any normal iso.
    You just need to select this options if you can select it manually (for example in nero) : 2352b/sector, Mode 2 Form 1 / XA. Don't use Mode1 for PSX.

For games with sub-channels AP, then either you have the original and you have to create it, or you have a .ccd and .sub (clone CD image with included sub channels) or an alcoohol iso image.
    To use them, First you need to check if your drives can read and write sub-channels. Not all the drive can, so that's maybe your problem here. Your burner should be compatible "RAW DAO" (or at least Raw SAO+Sub).
    DAO = Disc At Once. It doesn't write sector by sector or track by track, but bit by bit, putting back all the disc information. It's a 1:1 copy.
    SAO+sub = Sector by Sector + sub-channels between each sectors.

When creating the iso, be sure to check "reading sub-channels", and when you are burning don't check "auto-correct the errors" if available and select Raw DAO.

Alcool120% already have preset for Playstation 1 which force sub-channels read/write. you should verify that your burner can do it first (it should now, but back in ~1997 most of them couldn't).
    You can disable the sub-channels if you want, as not all games are protected and play just fine without these data.
    For CloneCD I used to prefer using the old one (3.0.91). I never liked the newer version with all new potions everywhere and their new interface is not great (in my opinion). I like clean and minimalist interfaces. But I'm not sure it will be compatible with Win7.

You can also dump the games in a Bin + sub format, and use emulators. ePSXe can read .sub files, and WiiSX emulator on Wii can read them too [​IMG]

19. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Well, I definitely think my burner can. When I first bruned the image through imgburn, I think it was without the subchannel data, as it would then spit out the "can't read CD!!!" error when pressing start to go play the game.

I still don't get why Wrestlemania seems to require I play on composite, when as I said before, I've a plethora of games for PS1 and PS2 that did not require switching cables like this.