Hacking Ultra Guide?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to OzModChips in another thread, of the 70 AK2's sold from the latest batch, none have been returned. So it's a good sign that maybe the quality control problem has been resolved.

-Bri

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
...Both have the Ultra Guide sticker...
One of two has developed problemtatic use today; my relative left it in his DS Lite under a towel inside a car in 90F+ degree heat. The AK2 was working fine before but since the incident, the plastic case seems to have some slop in it; the case possibly expanded. Now, sometimes when the DS Lite menu loads the AK2 is not recognized and nothing is reported for slot 1. Likely a contact issue between the AK2 and the DS Lite. I recall reading something about someone wedging a piece of paper under the circuit board. This sympton is a result of poor design, cheap materials, and poor judgment.

The wedging was done between the back of a early batch cyclods and the rear of slot 1; not an AK2 and not underneath the circuit board but I may try it. Will have to look further into it.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
my relative left it in his DS Lite under a towel inside a car in 90F+ degree heat. The AK2 was working fine before but since the incident, the plastic case seems to have some slop in it; the case possibly expanded. Now, sometimes when the DS Lite menu loads the AK2 is not recognized and nothing is reported for slot 1. Likely a contact issue between the AK2 and the DS Lite. I recall reading something about someone wedging a piece of paper under the circuit board. This sympton is a result of poor design, cheap materials, and poor judgment.

I am confused how you're relative deforming the cart by leaving it in a hot car is a sign of "poor design, cheap materials, and poor judgment".

EDIT: Maybe this is it:
Point #1 - Don't leave electronics in your car on a hot day. (common sense)
Point #2 - You have heard of AK2s that have poor contact issues and people using the "paper shim" trick to fix it. (This is not unheard of among flashcarts, not just the AK2.)

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind this is a guy with the word "troll" explicitly in his handle, so a grain of salt may be advised.

It does remind me of the time that I got in my car, and found a couple of my casettes melted in the glove compartment. Oops. I suppose I should have launched a class action lawsuit against the inventer of tapes and maybe plastic as a material in general for 'poor design, cheap materials, and poor judgment' Ha!

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Keep in mind this is a guy with the word "troll" explicitly in his handle, so a grain of salt may be advised.

It does remind me of the time that I got in my car, and found a couple of my casettes melted in the glove compartment. Oops. I suppose I should have launched a class action lawsuit against the inventer of tapes and maybe plastic as a material in general for 'poor design, cheap materials, and poor judgment' Ha!

The point of my previous post was to inform owners not to leave the cartridge in a closed car on a hot day or similar situations that may cause the carts characteristics to change eventhough in my opinion below 100 degrees should not be hot enough to matter. And I was just pointing out that the sympton was not a result of whatever issue the factory had previously that caused Fat Errors and Processing errors. The point of my current post is what a fcking ahole you are. Are you so miserable and lonely that you go around to threads that are dedicated to providing help for others just so you can reveal how much of a bitter person you are. Get lost loser.

Yes I was right; all your recent messages are useless bitter posts to help no one but yourself feel better.

Baroque Obama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
dib said:

The point of my previous post was to inform owners not to leave the cartridge in a closed car on a hot day or similar situations that may cause the carts characteristics to change eventhough in my opinion below 100 degrees should not be hot enough to matter. And I was just pointing out that the sympton was not a result of whatever issue the factory had previously that caused Fat Errors and Processing errors. The point of my current post is what a fcking ahole you are. Are you so miserable and lonely that you go around to threads that are dedicated to providing help for others just so you can reveal how much of a bitter person you are. Get lost loser.

Yes I was right; all your recent messages are useless bitter posts to help no one but yourself feel better.

Rather than bashing him for the rather confusing syntax your post had, you could have merely corrected him. Your use of the words "poor design" and "cheap materials" has caused them to believe that you have blamed the company for your mishap.

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The card housing is poorly designed and uses cheap materials, not just my opinion, but whether its fact or opinion, it's obvious to anyone with a brain worth using that my post was not bashing Acekard. If I'm going to bash something or someone, you'll know as obviously you picked up from your response, "Rather than bashing him..." Cheers

ROM Troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ROM Troll said:
ROM Troll said:
...Both have the Ultra Guide sticker...
One of two has developed problemtatic use today; my relative left it in his DS Lite under a towel inside a car in 90F+ degree heat. The AK2 was working fine before but since the incident, the plastic case seems to have some slop in it; the case possibly expanded. Now, sometimes when the DS Lite menu loads the AK2 is not recognized and nothing is reported for slot 1.
Both AK2s w/ Ultra Guide sticker, purchased from Deal Extreme in June, are still working. The one mentioned in the quote has been inserted/removed from a DS Lite at least a dozen times since and it's always recognized. Whatever the problem that day has worked itself out. I'm considering picking up another AK2 to test layouts/formats/firmware since I get limited access time to prep these AK2s for my nephews. However, I would probably use my AKRPG more often.

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RoD131 said:
BTW, does anyone have trouble getting the SD in and out?
It's really a pain, plus the acekard doesn't fit perfectly in the DS (requires a lot more force than an original DS cartridge).

One more question: is there a batch converter for the save files? I know there's an online one (but it's really slow and it's one file at a time) and a batch converter for G6, but I don't think it has support for DS-X and Acekard. I have like 70 saves on the DS-X, and converting just one to work was hard (had to caps lock it for some reason, plus manually add the .nds.sav, and at first it didn't even let me overwrite a new save on the SD.)

I doubt there will ever be a flashcart that fits PERFECTLY into the DS Lite. Well ... unless Nintendo themselves make it ... let's get real.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
IOwnAndPwnU said:
RoD131 said:
BTW, does anyone have trouble getting the SD in and out?
It's really a pain, plus the acekard doesn't fit perfectly in the DS (requires a lot more force than an original DS cartridge).
I doubt there will ever be a flashcart that fits PERFECTLY into the DS Lite. Well ... unless Nintendo themselves make it ... let's get real.

IOwnAndPwnU, please tell me you are kidding.
Cart physical dimensions can't be mastered by anyone but Nintendo?

I have a couple of carts which fits just like a real game (ie. easy slide in, no undue pressure needed), not to mention many other carts out there that I would expect fit just the same. Never heard problems about the R4, either.

Bought an AceKard 2.1 this month. The first time I put the cart in it wouldn't even eject properly it was so tight. The shell is very poorly manufactured. I have ordered a second one just to see if it's as tight as my first. I think I am a masochist, but I'm willing to be fair on AceKard. I will report my findings. My opinion on their crappy shells right now is that they are abysmal. Hopefully that will change to a mere 'well below average' on the second cart I receive.

A proper shell is not rocket science.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello