Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.y-gallery.net
XP
Country
United States
feature-Cod-Black-Ops.png

An independent gaming pressure group has told IncGamers it is to report Activision to the Office of Fair Trading after the publisher failed to respond to an open letter regarding the buggy ‘unfinished’ versions of Black Ops on PC and PS3.

Gamers’ Voice, which was founded in 2009 by MP Tom Watson, was set up to represent gamers in the UK by making their voice heard to government and mainstream media.

The organisation issued an open letter to Activision on December 22, revealing that they have been ‘inundated with complaints from people who have bought copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops. They all concern the PlayStation 3 console and PC versions of the game.’

The letter asked Activision what they are going to do to ‘recompense’ buyers, giving the publisher one calendar month to respond. Activision, however, failed to do so.

Chris O’Regan, Head of Industry Relations at Gamers’ Voice, told IncGamers: “As a result of their inaction we will test the might of government agencies against Activision. We can only hope this brings about some litigious action. These agencies do exist to protect our rights as consumers, let us see if they can fullfill their remit on this pressing issue.

“GV wish to set an example with Activision to ensure games are not released in an unfinished state. If litigation is initiated, then a precedent would be set. In other words, publishers will have to reconsider releasing unfinished code in the future, in the UK at least.”

O’Regan said it could take ‘months’ for a formal government investigation, stating: “For the government agencies, months if they do start a formal investigation. For Activision, they may re-act a might quicker, although it will likely be a rebuttal and nothing more.”

The news comes after IncGamers was told by Trading Standards that buyers should get a refund for bug-ridden versions of the game..[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

I don't think it'll go far, but it's still interesting to see.

I don't have the PS3 version, so I have no idea how bad it was.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
rofl2.gif
I can't even believe what I just read. What are they going to do next pass a law stating any game released in the U.K. has to be complete and good with out any bugs?

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
431unknown said:
rofl2.gif
I can't even believe what I just read. What are they going to do next pass a law stating any game released in the U.K. has to be complete and good with out any bugs?
There can be bugs, but it has to be a finished game, not a beta they're trying to pass for a finished game.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I love how all the CoD kids get soo mad over a game...And its not even that good just over hyped soo much it tricks them into thinking its good when in reality it hasn't changed since like MW1

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
431unknown said:
rofl2.gif
Back with the NES Nintendo wouldn't have a problem getting in especially when they had the Seal of Quality or whatever it was called. God I wished Nintendo would bring that back, it would cut down on sooo much shovelware.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
431unknown said:
rofl2.gif
Back with the NES Nintendo wouldn't have a problem getting in especially when they had the Seal of Quality or whatever it was called. God I wished Nintendo would bring that back, it would cut down on sooo much shovelware.

Aye, I remember that seal. I never put much stock in it tho, the NES had its fair share of bad games. I can't recall playing one tho that was as broken as what I hear about black ops for PS3.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
I doubt this would do anything, but I guess it's worth a shot...
8BitWalugi said:
Wait, how broken is Black Ops for PS3/PC?
Based on person experiences on the PS3 version, you can't go for three matches in a row without at least one disconnect. I got 9 disconnects in 10 matches yesterday before I gave up on the game completely. I've had the game freeze on me several times (forcing a hard reboot of the console) as well.

QUOTE(darkreaperofdreams @ Jan 20 2011, 07:42 PM) good to see Wii doesn't have this kind of issues
Yeah, 'cause the Wii version is definitely the superior one in these cases.
closedeyes.gif
The Wii version had various connection issues after launch as well, and the Wii version had less than 100,000 people on at once compared to the millions on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. The issues were less significant because the Wii version was inferior to the 'HD' editions, and the market of the Wii was general uninterested in Black Ops on that console.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
431unknown said:
rofl2.gif
You know the seal actually did nothing, right? IIRC, there were some terrible games that had it, making it invalid.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Buggy ga,es are unfinished? DUH

Every game is unfinished these days! Worst thing is, they charge you extra to complete it ie. DLC!

I vote to bring back the days where DLC was unknown and people (inc dev's) made free mods/mappack/weaponpacks/etc!

*Huddles back to his PC Gameplay magazines with free demos on the CD-ROM's and DVD's*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/l6ek7TmdGE8?si=k_qXsn8Finqhz70P +1