UK Gaming Group to go after Activision

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by midnightshinigam, Jan 21, 2011.

Jan 21, 2011
  1. midnightshinigam
    OP

Newcomer midnightshinigam Member

United States
    [​IMG]

An independent gaming pressure group has told IncGamers it is to report Activision to the Office of Fair Trading after the publisher failed to respond to an open letter regarding the buggy ‘unfinished’ versions of Black Ops on PC and PS3.

Gamers’ Voice, which was founded in 2009 by MP Tom Watson, was set up to represent gamers in the UK by making their voice heard to government and mainstream media.

The organisation issued an open letter to Activision on December 22, revealing that they have been ‘inundated with complaints from people who have bought copies of Call of Duty: Black Ops. They all concern the PlayStation 3 console and PC versions of the game.’

The letter asked Activision what they are going to do to ‘recompense’ buyers, giving the publisher one calendar month to respond. Activision, however, failed to do so.

Chris O’Regan, Head of Industry Relations at Gamers’ Voice, told IncGamers: “As a result of their inaction we will test the might of government agencies against Activision. We can only hope this brings about some litigious action. These agencies do exist to protect our rights as consumers, let us see if they can fullfill their remit on this pressing issue.

“GV wish to set an example with Activision to ensure games are not released in an unfinished state. If litigation is initiated, then a precedent would be set. In other words, publishers will have to reconsider releasing unfinished code in the future, in the UK at least.”

O’Regan said it could take ‘months’ for a formal government investigation, stating: “For the government agencies, months if they do start a formal investigation. For Activision, they may re-act a might quicker, although it will likely be a rebuttal and nothing more.”

The news comes after IncGamers was told by Trading Standards that buyers should get a refund for bug-ridden versions of the game..[/p]

[​IMG] Source

I don't think it'll go far, but it's still interesting to see.

I don't have the PS3 version, so I have no idea how bad it was.

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    They're getting their government involved in a silly issue about a bad game?

3. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    As much as I want to see Activision kicked in the balls, this won't do much.

4. darkreaperofdrea

Member darkreaperofdrea GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    still people keep buying it,so...it's their fault
    good to see Wii doesn't have this kind of issues

5. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've heard these versions were buggy... anyone out there who owns one of these versions, can you shed some light on the matter? Also, I'm very interested to see what comes of this.

6. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    [​IMG] I can't even believe what I just read. What are they going to do next pass a law stating any game released in the U.K. has to be complete and good with out any bugs?

7. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    There can be bugs, but it has to be a finished game, not a beta they're trying to pass for a finished game.

8. purechaos996

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Lol I love how all the CoD kids get soo mad over a game...And its not even that good just over hyped soo much it tricks them into thinking its good when in reality it hasn't changed since like MW1

9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Back with the NES Nintendo wouldn't have a problem getting in especially when they had the Seal of Quality or whatever it was called. God I wished Nintendo would bring that back, it would cut down on sooo much shovelware.

10. 431unknown

United States
    Aye, I remember that seal. I never put much stock in it tho, the NES had its fair share of bad games. I can't recall playing one tho that was as broken as what I hear about black ops for PS3.

11. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Wait, how broken is Black Ops for PS3/PC?

12. 431unknown

United States
    I'm not really sure but from posts I've read the online portion is really bad with random disconnects and shit.

13. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    I doubt this would do anything, but I guess it's worth a shot...
    Yeah, 'cause the Wii version is definitely the superior one in these cases. [​IMG] The Wii version had various connection issues after launch as well, and the Wii version had less than 100,000 people on at once compared to the millions on Xbox 360, PS3, and PC. The issues were less significant because the Wii version was inferior to the 'HD' editions, and the market of the Wii was general uninterested in Black Ops on that console.

14. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    You know the seal actually did nothing, right? IIRC, there were some terrible games that had it, making it invalid.

15. GundamXXX

Member GundamXXX Ergo Ego

Australia
    Buggy ga,es are unfinished? DUH

Every game is unfinished these days! Worst thing is, they charge you extra to complete it ie. DLC!

I vote to bring back the days where DLC was unknown and people (inc dev's) made free mods/mappack/weaponpacks/etc!

*Huddles back to his PC Gameplay magazines with free demos on the CD-ROM's and DVD's*