Hacking Ubuntu vs Android on Switch for streaming games off a PC

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I currently have the first and only pre-compiled version of Switchroot Android installed and it works decently well with Moonlight Game Streaming off my PC but there are a few annoyances:

- Battery Consumption relatively high

- No proper sleep mode

- Having to re-pair the Joycons via Bluetooth all the time when I was in normal Switch mode

- The WiFi interface randomly cutting out on a Android level

Now I wondered, if I install Ubuntu instead of Android, will it solve some of my issues?

Could I then also use Parsec or Rainway instead of Moonlight or will these not work because it's not x86_64 Linux but rather ARM?

Also my Switch has no CFW and I don't want to install any.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have the first and only pre-compiled version of Switchroot Android installed and it works decently well with Moonlight Game Streaming off my PC but there are a few annoyances:

- Battery Consumption relatively high

- No proper sleep mode

- Having to re-pair the Joycons via Bluetooth all the time when I was in normal Switch mode

- The WiFi interface randomly cutting out on a Android level

Now I wondered, if I install Ubuntu instead of Android, will it solve some of my issues?

Could I then also use Parsec or Rainway instead of Moonlight or will these not work because it's not x86_64 Linux but rather ARM?

Also my Switch has no CFW and I don't want to install any.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Ubuntu will have the issue, that it is a bit tricky to use without M&K. Maybe have a look at
https://gbatemp.net/threads/moonlight-nx-nvidia-game-stream-client.565903/? It's written for Horizon (the regular Switch FW). If you don't use an Nvidia GPU you can also try
https://gbatemp.net/threads/update-...-games-to-your-switch-without-android.564912/. That should work with other GPUs as well.

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ubuntu will have the issue, that it is a bit tricky to use without M&K. Maybe have a look at
https://gbatemp.net/threads/moonlight-nx-nvidia-game-stream-client.565903/? It's written for Horizon (the regular Switch FW). If you don't use an Nvidia GPU you can also try
https://gbatemp.net/threads/update-...-games-to-your-switch-without-android.564912/. That should work with other GPUs as well.

Hmm I see, is there any touchscreen capability on Ubuntu? As said I do not wish to install CFW on my Switch. Not until a Switch Pro or Switch 2 is out and I can move all my non-Homebrew content over to that.

scandal_uk

Not Really There
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm I see, is there any touchscreen capability on Ubuntu? As said I do not wish to install CFW on my Switch. Not until a Switch Pro or Switch 2 is out and I can move all my non-Homebrew content over to that.
Installing CFW does not risk your account/content, but it does risk a potential console ban - this still won’t prevent you transferring your legit account/content to a clean Switch.

I get why you’re being extra cautious, but most of us never have issues keeping our SysNAND clean and unbanned.

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Installing CFW does not risk your account/content, but it does risk a potential console ban - this still won’t prevent you transferring your legit account/content to a clean Switch.

I get why you’re being extra cautious, but most of us never have issues keeping our SysNAND clean and unbanned.

I understand the minimal risk but honestly at this point I literally have no need for Switch CFW when Android and in theory Ubuntu would do all I need. This year will be somewhat expensive with the PS5 and next year I want to upgrade my PC so I don't want to pay for a extra useless Switch just to get online access back should I mess up because my friends and me play online daily :P

Reactions: scandal_uk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1