Ubuntu problem with external harddrive.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by pocchama1996, Feb 14, 2011.

Feb 14, 2011
  1. pocchama1996
    OP

Member pocchama1996 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 onto my computer. It used to run XP but it messed up so I'm now using Ubuntu.
    anyways I have a 500GB Western Digital external harddrive.
    Problem is Ubuntu isnt recognizing it.It doesn't even show up under computer.
    I've looked around and haven't found much that helps me.
    It is formatted in ntfs if that matters.
    Any help is appreciated.

Edit: In addition to this my micro sd card reader (one that comes with Supercard Dstwo)
    isn't showing up either.

2. ferdi-t

Member ferdi-t GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Ubunty should auto-mount it by default. If it doesn't, it could mean that there's something wrong with either your ubuntu or your hdd. Seeing that you describe having had trouble with XP, that might be the case. If windows messed something up - which could be something as simple as not unmounting it properly - then Ubuntu might reject it altogether. This is not uncommon.

You could try mounting it manually then run some checks using fsck on the hdd.

mounting: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB
    fsck: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SystemAdministration/Fsck

Also, try to update your ubuntu with the latest updates, although this is less likely to solve the problem (though it won't hurt either).

3. pocchama1996
    OP

United States
    I've tried mounting it but Now I think the problem isn't with the harddrive itself. I think Linux isn't recognizing my usb ports at all.
    or any of my sd card slots for that matter.
    It's either that or maybe I just have to properly eject them in windows. See I never did that. So maybe that could be the problem.

Edit: Ok the drive works fine using my moms computer(Windows XP)
    Anything I plug into USB, Ubuntu will not even recognize.
    I run lsusb in terminal and nothing shows up at all. I run fdisk -l and the only thing that shows is my internal drive.
    I think I'm missing some usb driver or something.
    Then again I actually have a second internal drive that Linux isn't recognizing either.
    My computers BIOS won't even recognize it.
    Which is odd because it's a drive that came with it already there and it has the files for recovering my original Windows installation if it ever failed. Which it did and now I can't even repair.
    ugh...
    My PC might just be incompatible with Linux.
    It says built for Windows XP and i guess its 100% true.

4. ferdi-t

Netherlands
    Nah. Linux is designed to run with every computer. If Windows can do it, then so can Linux, though it sometimes takes a bit/load more effort (trust me, I've been there).

It's typical that your internal drive wont mount either.

You could try running the following commands and post the results.

Checking for errors:

gedit /var/log/syslog

Checking the fstab:

gedit /etc/fstab

5. pocchama1996
    OP

United States
    No my mouse and keyboard dont use usb.
    I'm telling you linux just doesn't even realize I have usb ports at all.

6. ferdi-t

Netherlands
    Well, in that case there's likely to be an error message in the logs. [​IMG]

7. pocchama1996
    OP

United States
    Ok, I cannot make heads or tails of this.
    Here's the syslog

Warning: Spoilers inside!

and here's the fstab
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Makes zero sense to me. Im a linux noob.

8. ferdi-t

Netherlands
    Well, so did I think the first time I had to go through my logfiles to solve a problem. But it the end it's really neat. When Windows does something wrong, you usually have no clue what the problem is. Troubleshooting Windows is usually based on restoring all the default settings instead of actually looking for a problem. With Linux it's usually going through the error files, googling a lot and sometimes following your gut. I'm starting to get the feeling that it might be your bios, but I'm not yet sure.

You could try running the following in the terminal and posting the results.

dmesg | grep usb

9. pocchama1996
    OP

United States
    [ 0.285350] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
    [ 0.285364] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
    [ 0.285389] usbcore: registered new device driver usb

This is interesting.

10. ferdi-t

Netherlands
    Well, it's interesting in a way that it's waaaay to short, as these are only the first three steps of initiating your usb. Typically next there should be lines about configuring your usb-ports then, initializing them and registering devices (or the lack of them). The total logfile should be around 50 lines.

I have to go with my gut here: if I were you I would check my bios settings (usually DEL during startup) to see if there's anything strange there. If not, I would open up my computer, remove the battery on the motherboard (thus resetting the default settings) and if that doesn't work, then trying to flash the bios. The first two steps are quite easy to do and don't involve risks. For the third step I would recommend googling for your motherboard's brand, as the method (and risks) of flashing it differs based on the brand.

I'd have to stress that I'm making an informed guess rather than giving you an advise based on experience. So if this doesn't help, you could always try and post your problem with the logfiles on the official ubuntu-forums. Ppl there are really helpful.

Let me know if you fixed it, okay?