• I never tried any of those...

Results are only viewable after voting.

SagaP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well just recentley i started dual-booting windows 10 and unbuntu 16.04. i have always intersted in linux, and tried once with a live usb, but the mayor backdraw was games, now with Steam efforts towards bringing games to linux, i decide to try it and see what i can do outside of windows.

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried just previously some Linux distros. Korora, Fedora and Elementary OS.
  • Korora(based of Fedora): Works good and looks good. Then I installed Visual Studio Code and the font antialiasing is messed up, but only in this program.
  • Fedora: The same problem
  • Elementary OS: Good antialiasing. But for some reasons manages the font installer program to freeze the computer. Also basic settings for the file browser are not available until installing something. Then tried to install some programs using the fancy package control. But guess what CMake and Git come in some very old version, because of the ultra conservative update strategy of the Debian maintainer. So I had to install Git using a PPA and CMake from source. Thats the power of package control systems!
Then I went back to Windows...

Last edited by catlover007,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
No, my friend didn't expect to run at so high resolutions, not even pc games. It doesn't even run well at 1080p(at least my experience), but he criticized the price tag being 40 euros the RPi 2, but still useful for creating robots, surveillance cameras, AIO pcs and stuff. I would like to have another one, Zero but its low availability make it in my country 2 times the price of RPi 3. Anyway, Keep the good work Raspberry Pi Foundation!

Personally I think the price is one of the benefits. £30 for a fully functional credit card size computer, complete with Ethernet, Wi-Fi (Pi 3), Bluetooth (Pi 3) and USB 2 and can be powered with a mobile phone charger, or all day of a battery pack. Could you get much better for anywhere near the price?

I've personally found the Pi 2 and 3 to run fine at 1080p for general use and have no problem with 1080p video. The Pi is probably not for everyone, however i'm sure people who have one could think of many random little projects it! :) - I've been eyeing up the project where people have made little arcade machines from them!

For the Pi Zero (Or any Pi stuff in general) you might want to try the Pi Hut: https://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-zero their UK based, however seem to ship all over and are usually pretty fair with the price too.

Reactions: EthanAddict

EthanAddict

An investment to nothingness
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Are you serious?
Yes. Maybe Souvlaki
souvlaki.jpg

Last edited by EthanAddict,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd rather use some version of Linux - probably Mint or whatever - but it doesn't run the programs and games I want/need, so Windows it is.

EthanAddict

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'd rather use some version of Linux - probably Mint or whatever - but it doesn't run the programs and games I want/need, so Windows it is.

BTW you can use WindHQ to run Windows apps on Linux. No virtual machines and stuff. A JIT compiler. I also see performance boosts in many apps like Kerbal space program(too heavy for my laptop and runs like I had a supercomputer).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BTW you can use WindHQ to run Windows apps on Linux. No virtual machines and stuff. A JIT compiler. I also see performance boosts in many apps like Kerbal space program(too heavy for my laptop and runs like I had a supercomputer).
I know Wine and similar programs are available, but they have limited compatibility. When they work, it's great, but often they don't.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted ubuntu, but it's really not as black and white as THIS vs THAT.

Quite frankly: windows ran out of steam after XP. 7 was still an improvement, but 8 and 10 are barely more than window dressing. Of course you can argue that an OS is just about "running programs", but the aesthetics, stability, delivered programs and such are those little things that microsoft continues to be average in at best (but the far majority of people don't notice because they've never seen an alternative).

Meanwhile, modern linux distros continue to improve those small things*. I'm typing this from my mint laptop and I'm strongly considering setting my main gaming pc as a dual boot (or even going full linux).
Gaming certainly have come a long way. My 600+ steam library has 268 linux games in it (yeah...it's mostly humble bundle stuff). And installing a second steam client through wine allows you to install and play windows games without too much hassle. Well...the ones that wine runs fine, obviously**.

Oh, and I've tried some distro's as well. Here's my overview of opinions:
-ubuntu mate: it feels more at home as a windows user and has a beautiful store
-solus OS: it deserves respect for being built from scratch, but that budgie thing is...weird
-deepin: this desktop environment is absolutely beautiful (elementary can suck it up)
-mint: yeah...no matter what I try, I still keep coming back to cinnamon mint. Only peppermint comes close, if you ask me.

*I have no doubt that both windows and linux improve the big things as well. Though they're mostly under the hood, so aren't that noticeable until things break.
**one of the games I tried a couple years ago was desperados: wanted dead or alive. It ran with some serious artifacting. Right now, it works absolutely flawless. Going by winehq, there are quite some (indie) games that have drastically improved over the years.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899
D

Deleted-384698

I boot macOS and Arch off an SSD, run windows in a VM but have it installed on a dedicated SSD and just pass it through, so I can boot it raw.
I also have another drive passed through the VM to expand storage for Windows, I have yet another drive that is used to expand storage for my Arch/macOS installs.
I keep network disabled in the VM and I turn on isolation.

Ubuntu is frustrating, bloaty, and hard to troubleshoot. Used it on and off for a few years, apt has gotten better, still not as good as pacman. I think it's a waste of time.
Windows is a necessity to have on hand, but is hard to secure and I wouldn't trust it with a picture of my cat. Microsoft should stop trying so hard not to break legacy support and move forward for the good of the OS.

EthanAddict

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
I boot macOS and Arch off an SSD, run windows in a VM but have it installed on a dedicated SSD and just pass it through, so I can boot it raw.
I also have another drive passed through the VM to expand storage for Windows, I have yet another drive that is used to expand storage for my Arch/macOS installs.
I keep network disabled in the VM and I turn on isolation.

Ubuntu is frustrating, bloaty, and hard to troubleshoot. Used it on and off for a few years, apt has gotten better, still not as good as pacman. I think it's a waste of time.
Windows is a necessity to have on hand, but is hard to secure and I wouldn't trust it with a picture of my cat. Microsoft should stop trying so hard not to break legacy support and move forward for the good of the OS.

Well my version of Ubuntu is heavily modified with many apps that are faaaaar better than the preinstalled ones. Also it is good use to use the Ubuntu store because I think that they are built only for Ubuntu many of them are high quality such as gimp. Also pacman isn't on Minix?

D

Deleted User

Windows, i'd switch if wine actually worked and steam had more than 1/3 of my games

wine doesn't even support directx 11 yet, I know because I have a friend on steam that consistently complains about it and having to temporarily switch to his dual boot of windows 7
he's one of those people that uses the /r/linuxmasterrace reddit pages

EthanAddict

OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Antarctica
Windows, i'd switch if wine actually worked and steam had more than 1/3 of my games

wine doesn't even support directx 11 yet, I know because I have a friend on steam that consistently complains about it and having to temporarily switch to his dual boot of windows 7
he's one of those people that uses the /r/linuxmasterrace reddit pages

To tell the truth, I didn't now that, but can you tell me some freeware apps that use DX11?

D

Deleted User

To tell the truth, I didn't now that, but can you tell me some freeware apps that use DX11?
you think i know? a large prtion of my games on steam use DX11

EDIT: you could try dolphin on directx 11 mode, but i don't think it uses the full features of directx 11 like a AAA game does

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: