Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
U.S. Internet ID System
Identity-authentication
no-to-id.jpg

The U.S. Government has started to toy with the idea of an online ID system for all U.S. citizens. The idea of the system would be to consolidate information, passwords, identification, bank accounts, etc, into one secure government controlled ID. After users log-in their identity would be confirmed and they would be able to access their online accounts using this single ID/password.

Privacy advocates worry that not only does this allow the government an easier means to keep track of its citizens but risks the safety of those involved by storing all important information in 1 spot. Consider the user who loses their password or has that information compromised.

The idea is currently being “planned” and no one is sure if it will happen, how they will secure it, or even if it will become a mandatory system for U.S. Internet access.

icon11.gif
 Source

ultimate.fake.ac

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope this doesn't happen. Having all of a persons info, id, money, credentials, etc in one spot does not provide any sense of security to me.

EDIT: Makes me think of the front door lock. It will stop anyone that innocent, but if there is some who actually wants to do something then what?

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nooo... oh wait, it's happening in the U.S.
smileipb2.png
tpi.gif

on a serious note, i see where they're coming from, but they really haven't thought this through. This will increase so many safety risks and breach personal privacy on a certain level. I don't think they will do it.

Rommstain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
ItsMetaKnight said:
Something exactly like this is already happening in Germany.
I'm completely ignorant of the state of affairs in Germany when it comes to such matters, could you please tell us more about that?

P.S. Apparently U.S. Government never heard of identity fraud.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
With this, it would be possible to put all into one account..... well, what if THAT account is being hacked. The hacker would have total control of everything on that account, including banking and even acces to personal files.

GJ American Government, way to go, everybody knows that this is going to fail

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a non-starter--people here will never agree to this. (This has been bandied about, in some form or another, since 9-11, and Obama has no political capital left to spend to move something like this, so it's DOA.)

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
You know what? America is no longer a democracy. America is no longer "we the people". Our government keeps doing things none of us like and coming up with ideas none of us would think of.

Like Obama's healthcare. Did we vote on that? No. According to the opinions of all my friends and coworkers, nobody likes it. It wouldn't have passed a vote.

The "stimulus package" that supposedly put trillions of dollars into our economy. Did we vote on that? No. NOBODY wanted that because it raised taxes so much, and (as the government NOW knows) it was completely worthless. Doesn't help that some CEOs gave themselves raises then quit, taking most of the money with them.

That's another thing. Corporate America. There are soooo many things wrong with how big business is run (exporting jobs to other countries, corruption, etc.), and how if they're big enough they seem to have some power in the government. BP for example. If it were up to the US citizens, BP would be shut down, or at least very limited, in their activities inside and around our borders. What did the government do? Have BP apologize and pay a fine that was like pocket change to them, then help clean up their mess, which should have ended the week it started. Isn't that a little odd?

And now this? I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Ever since the Cold War this country has been going downhill even faster, then 9/11 made the government even more paranoid, giving them and excuse for more big brother tactics on their own citizens. They'll probably discuss having a repeal vote, like with Obama's healthcare- a year later, and then (so far) never get around to it >.<

I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything, I'm just getting more than a little fed up with how things are run around here
hate2.gif

/rant. Haven't had my morning coffee...

uberwabawaba

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what? America is no longer a democracy. America is no longer "we the people". Our government keeps doing things none of us like and coming up with ideas none of us would think of.

Look man, this I.D. card thing wont fly thats a no-brainer but you're mindless ranting does more to highlight whats wrong in this country more than anything. An example, your statement about "jobs being exported"...well genius thats not the government doing that its companies and the reason they are doing it is WE THE PEOPLE. We keep demanding things be cheaper and cheaper because we want more and more, in the end the only way they can meet the demand WE THE PEOPLE created is to ship the jobs overseas so they can sell their products at prices we set by OUR buying trends which started in the 70s with us buying Japanese made products at lower prices. Then add in unions choking the lifeblood out of American companies and what exactly do you expect them to do? Its the same principle behind our media hyper-glorifying every negative thing they can, they do it because those dramatic stories and statements are what keeps us glued to our televisions because they evoke the strongest emotions and thats make better video. Again its WE THE PEOPLE to blame because in the end if we refused to watch it they wouldn't air it. Our government does things I dont like and it does some thing I do like, pretty much what our government has done since this nation's birth, only thing I can see that has changed is WE THE PEOPLE who have gotten lazy, whiney and spoiled.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
You know what? America is no longer a democracy.It never was. The US is a constitutional republic, not a democracy.

chrisman01 said:
Like Obama's healthcare. Did we vote on that? No. According to the opinions of all my friends and coworkers, nobody likes it. It wouldn't have passed a vote.America's not a democracy, we don't vote directly on anything. Instead we elect representatives from our region to vote on things for us.

Question; do you even know who your local congressman is? That's (since it seems you're totally unaware) the person from your area who's elected to go to the government and vote on things for you. Mine's Bob Goodlatte, I've met him and shook his hand (even though I may or may not have been in the majority voting that elected him.)

It amazes me how many people want to sit around and bitch but don't even know how the US government actually works.

Also; http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=273724
frown.gif

EDIT: QUOTE(uberwabawaba @ Jan 11 2011, 11:05 AM)
An example, your statement about "jobs being exported"...well genius thats not the government doing that its companies and the reason they are doing it is WE THE PEOPLE. We keep demanding things be cheaper and cheaper because we want more and more, in the end the only way they can meet the demand WE THE PEOPLE created is to ship the jobs overseas so they can sell their products at prices we set by OUR buying trends which started in the 70s with us buying Japanese made products at lower prices.
THIS TIMES A HUNDRED.

I see so many people bitching and whining about how china's getting all the jobs. then they go to walmart and buy stuff made in china.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
uberwabawaba said:
chrisman01 said:

Look man, this I.D. card thing wont fly that's a no-brainer but you're mindless ranting does more to highlight whats wrong in this country more than anything. An example, your statement about "jobs being exported"...well, genius, that's not the government doing that, it's companies; the reason they are doing it is WE THE PEOPLE. We keep demanding things be cheaper and cheaper because we want more and more, in the end the only way they can meet the demand WE THE PEOPLE created is to ship the jobs overseas so they can sell their products at prices we set by OUR buying trends which started in the 70s with us buying Japanese ( Note: I believe you mean Chinese? )made products at lower prices. Then add in unions choking the lifeblood out of American companies and what exactly do you expect them to do? It's the same principle behind our media hyper-glorifying every negative thing they can, they do it because those dramatic stories and statements are what keeps us glued to our televisions because they evoke the strongest emotions and that makes better video. Again, it's WE THE PEOPLE to blame because in the end if we refused to watch it they wouldn't air it. Our government does things I don't like and it does some things I do like, pretty much how our government has done since this nation's birth, only thing I can see that has changed is WE THE PEOPLE who have gotten lazy, whiney and spoiled.

You're right. (also, fixed your quote box and some grammar ;D )

Either way you look at it, WTF happened to this country? When did "we the people" become... this? Sometime between WWII and today - starting around the 70s - the US as a whole got lazy and spoiled, as you say.

EDIT: I know what Walmart stands for, and I hate it. I try to avoid it as much as possible, and if I do have to go to Walmart for some reason I always look at where the product I need is made, and try to limit at least to this continent. Virtually impossible in that place, though :/

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Privacy advocates worry that not only does this allow the government an easier means to keep track of its citizens but risks the safety of those involved by storing all important information in 1 spot. Consider the user who loses their password or has that information compromised. "

^this, a person only needs to get his id/password stolen and he's lost everything, even his identity

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great Obama the fascist is at it again. The government has proved it can handle sensitive information with the wiki leaks debacle. I feel safe now that the government is going to take care of my passwords for me. Seriously, no thanks Big Brother I can handle this myself. You've proven yourself to be untrustworthy. The thing is are we going to have the choice to say no to Big Brother?

kingofgamesgx

Hitokiri Battousai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know a good place to move to outside the US with good internet (15MBps or above DL ) with things like this moving looks more and more like a good idea

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021