Two Wiis - Same Setup - Different Result

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wailer247, Aug 24, 2015.

1. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    I've just updated my wii, got it working and offered to do it for a friend. I have done the exact same process to his that I've done to mine, yet his will not boot vc/wiiware in the same way that mine does. He has an exact copy of my ext HDD contents as well. Here is the setup I use:

- working neek2o on ext. HDD
    - boot to cfg mod 70r78.10 (real nand)

VC/wiiware works fine for me booting into cfg on real nand this way, but for him it freezes when it goes to load ios 249. Standard wii games work fine on both. Both consoles can boot into neek2o environment using their respective ext. HDDs. What am i missing?

My Syscheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Friend's non working syscheck:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by wailer247, Aug 24, 2015
  2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  3. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
  4. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Are the contents of your sd cards also exact copies?

If so.. make sure you delete the settings.cfg files, on your friends sd card, for whichever apps are giving him issues.

Let the apps on his Wii generate their own config files.

5. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    shoudn't i be able to plug my hard drive/sd card into his wii and load games on my hdd? because i cant. cfg stalls when trying to load vc/wiiware using ios249 on his wii, and that happens with my hdd and his hdd.

6. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Try changing CFG's IOS to something different, like 250, 223, 224, etc

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    @portugeek is right - each Wii should generate its own specific config files for the USB loaders upon the first time you connect the HDD. The HDD can be shared, the config files should not. Also be sure to have two separate NAND images for the two separate Wii's if you're planning to use NEEK - redirected NAND should be an exact copy of the NAND that's running on the machine. It would probably be preferable in your case to run NEEK from the SD card rather than USB simply because the HDD is supposed to be shared. For games that have trouble running on the default cIOS (249 d2x) do try using HERMES cIOS'es, that usually fixes issues.

8. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Technically yes. But if he has a different setup, for instance with video settings.. widescreen vs 4:3, or 480p vs 480i.. it messes things up with some apps. Emulators especially.

It could also be the sysconfig file in your emu nand. I use USB Loader GX to export my Wii's sysconfig over to the emu nand to help minimize issues.

Another thing that could be giving you an issue is if you have partial nand emulation for your saves instead of FULL. I'm not completely sure about this but if the emu nand is trying to access a different Wii's real nand, (one that it doesn't recognize) that could possibly cause compatibility issues.

9. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    I fixed it by installing bootmii as ios. I'm not sure why this fixed it, but I noticed the difference in the syschecks. Now if only I could get cfg to return me to real NAND when I play VC/WiiWare titles. Currently it just sends me to neek2o NAND.

10. portugeek

portugeek GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2013
    United States
    Makes sense.. because the Loader calls bootmii to load emuNand. That's my understanding of it. It's the reason for why you need a modified bootmii boot.dol for anything neek related.

Last edited by portugeek, Aug 25, 2015
  11. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    could it be your hbc setup/exploit is really old? and the first wii is an older one? that would explain most of it to me...

12. wailer247
    OP

wailer247 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    I think so. I've had my Wii for a long time. My friend just picked up his Wii second hand about a week ago. I'm not really sure what the deal was, especially since I applied the most recent cios and patches to my Wii as I was doing his.

13. JaapDaniels

JaapDaniels GBAtemp Fan

Apr 22, 2012
    Netherlands
    the homebrew channel installation is updated , since on new wii's the boot my method used in first attempt we're blocked by the new security. this could well be the case i see, and explained also why the cios ain't working since there's a non functional part of hbc channel software it uses.
    only for wii use http://please.hackmii.com/, for wiiu (vwii) use https://gbatemp.net/threads/full-vwii-softmod.339899/

wailer247 likes this.