NeoDS - A Guide to Using One of the Greatest DS Emulators

Introduction​

NeoDS is a NeoGeo emulator for the DS(i) system. This is arguably one of the greatest emulators to ever emerge onto the DS homebrew scene. One question always comes up though; how do I make this work?

This guide will get you from downloading the emulator to playing your first game. Be aware, there will be at least one file that I can't link you to that is needed to convert files that you will have to locate on your own. It isn't difficult to find, but being a BIOS file, I can't give it to you here without breaking the rules. I hope you understand.

Downloading NeoDS

Step 1: Make sure to download the NeoDS emulator from the Filetrip link below. The latest version is v0.2.0.
download.gif
NeoDS v0.2.0

Step 2: Unzip the file labeled [2684]NeoDs020. Open the folder, then open the single folder with in. This should take you to a directory with the 10 items pictured below included.

[thumb]http://gbatemp.net/pix/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%201.png[/thumb]

Step 3: Open the folder labeled NeoDsConvert.

Converting a ROM to Work On NeoDS​

Now's the tricky portion. There are two things that should be known prior to trying to convert. NeoDS uses the MAME ROM set. Any game that works with MAME will work with NeoDS after conversion. A quick Google should find you a large repository of these games. I will not link to any MAME ROM's here.

Note: There are two ways to convert. One way uses an easy to use executable. The other way requires the use of the command line though. That method is outlined in the readme included with the download, and I will not be explaining it here.

Step 1: Obtain the neogeo BIOS files. The zip file will be labeled neogeo, and the BIOS files will be a list of items that will be of no use to you in an unzipped format. Without this file, you can not begin the converting process. I can also not link to the BIOS file here. Once again, a quick Google should yield positive results.

Step 2: Obtain a MAME ROM file. For the sake of this tutorial, I will be using a Metal Slug file to demonstrate. Leave the ROM file in a zipped format. The below picture is what your file list should resemble before a conversion. Note that the neogeo file is still compressed, as is the ROM file.

[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%202.png[/thumb]

Step 3: Double click NeoDsConvert. Don't confuse this with the .sln file. Make sure you double click the executable. Upon double clicking it, you should see the Command window pop open going through tons of little processes. You should get two .neo files out of it. Below is what should be received. Of course, the ROM file will vary by name. Below is an example of what you should see. The two new files are highlighted.

[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%203.png[/thumb]

Congratulations! You have successfully converted a game to work on NeoDS!​

Getting That Game You Just Converted to Work On Your DS​

At this point, you have two new files. One will be your converted ROM that shares the name of the ROM file's zip archive, the other will be a side file made through the conversion. At this present time, I can't find a use for the side file. The Metal Slug game used for testing worked well with and without the file being present on the MicroSD card.

Note: For testing, I am using my Original R4 with the Wood v1.27 firmware. As a piece of homebrew, the emulator may or may not work on your firmware. For any non-game conversion or loading related issues, please make a new topic inquiring about help within the proper section of GBAtemp. I will not be covering flash cart compatibility with this emulator here.

Step 1: Plug your MicroSD card into the computer and open to the root of the MicroSD card. At this point, no NeoGeo related items should be present.

[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%204.png[/thumb]

Step 2: Create a folder on your MicroSD card's root with the name "NeoGeo" for easy recognition of what is in there.

Step 3: Copy all of the contents of NeoDS folder into the NeoGeo folder on your MicroSD card with the exception of the readme, the converted ROM file(s), and the NeoDsConvert folder. The below is what your MicroSD card should resemble, from NeoGeo folder creation, to placement of the emulator files.

Creation of the NeoGeo folder:
[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%205.png[/thumb]

What files to transfer from the computer to the MicroSD card:
[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%206.png[/thumb]

What the NeoGeo folder on your MicroSD card should look like:
[thumb]http://pix.gbatemp.net/271209/NeoDS%20Screen%207.png[/thumb]

Step 4: Now you need to place your converted ROM file(s) onto the MicroSD card. Do not place these files into the NeoGeo folder anywhere. This emulator searches the root of the MicroSD card for ROM files. Placement anywhere else will render them undetectable.

Step 5: Boot up your DS and access the NeoGeo folder. The emulator itself may only show as a DS Program File, but will be the only one in the NeoGeo folder. Boot up the emulator and it will show the list of games if you have followed every step up to this point.

Press Start to boot up your game and enjoy!​

If you have any questions regarding this guide, feel free to post below. I will make sure to answer them to the best of my ability.[/p]

This tutorial is property of Nathan Drake of GBAtemp.net.
This tutorial is for use only on GBAtemp.net. This is not authorized to be copied, sold, or redistributed anywhere.

Updated May 26th, 2011 at 9:37AM PST
Reason for edit: Had to add a single word :3

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can you please post how were you able to get it to work, I try twilight menu on DSI XL, but only get white screen

I'm in the same boat. I tried to load both Twinkle Star Sprites and Pulstar, and they freeze at "Loading banks into main ram..." They are in the correct .neo format, and they are at the root of my SD card.

See if by changing version you manage to launch your games, I put the four versions of NeoDS in this pack:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-of-all-emulators-for-ds.255764/page-6#post-9049950

Otherwise ask here, I think you will find the answers to your questions :)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ds-i-3d...-ds-i-games-and-ds-i-menu-replacement.472200/

strawpoll-legend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
anyone was able to run this on O3DS? i tried for hours today with no success, tried many things, best i've got was stuck on "no rom stack" or "loading RAM blahbla.." messages on the lower screen. Stuck there.

c2soft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can you please post how were you able to get it to work, I try twilight menu on DSI XL, but only get white screen
I had the same problem on dsi XL with TWiLight Menu++. Top screen white and bottom show message like: no roms bank or loading banks into main ram or no banking needed. I solved it formatting SD card using FAT32 and 4096 for cluster size.
I found that in a thread in the forum.
I don't know if it was luck or that it should be like this, but still works.

Reactions: WorfRB and Indy13

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I just made a fork of NeoDS that uses an updated (but not the latest) toolchain and need help testing it.
Please try out the original. Only if the original works, then test out my build. If it works, then it might be easier to include NeoDS games in TWiLight Menu++ for the future

Attachments

• neods-nightly.zip
    125.8 KB · Views: 121

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, I just made a fork of NeoDS that uses an updated (but not the latest) toolchain and need help testing it.
Please try out the original. Only if the original works, then test out my build. If it works, then it might be easier to include NeoDS games in TWiLight Menu++ for the future

That means your fork is working on a DSi via Twilight ? Because the old one never worked, flashcard required.

NightScript

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this one has to be tested out with a flashcard? Might test it out later, thanks for your support on the scene!
No problem, but I found out on Discord that it wouldn't boot. I'm gonna have to debug why that is, but I don't have much free time

Aluiscard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I had the same problem on dsi XL with TWiLight Menu++. Top screen white and bottom show message like: no roms bank or loading banks into main ram or no banking needed. I solved it formatting SD card using FAT32 and 4096 for cluster size.
I found that in a thread in the forum.
I don't know if it was luck or that it should be like this, but still works.
This worked for me, thank you very much, I had been trying to make it work for days until I read this comment.

Tested and working on Nintendo DSi XL with Twilightmenu++ 27.5.0 latest version to date and a 32gb sd formatted in fat32 with 8192kb clusters

Reactions: c2soft

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
Presumably this dependency on smaller cluster size is because the libfat version in those old builds of NeoDS was so old it pre-dated widespread use of 32KB or larger cluster size.

My testing of the established historic NeoDS builds reveals the following:
  • ✅ DS Lite with EZ-Flash 3in1 and CycloDS Evolution with 32GB microSD (16KB clusters)
  • ❌ DSi running Unlaunch and TWiLight Menu++ with 32GB SD card (32KB clusters)
  • ❌ 2DS running Luma and TWiLight Menu++ with 32GB SD card (32KB clusters)
  • ✅ New 3DS running Luma and TWiLight Menu++ with 4GB microSD (4KB clusters)

It would be amazing if someone could successfully build this with newer libraries, and perhaps even for 3DS to benefit from the larger screen resolution.

I forked @NightScript 's repo as mentioned above and ran the GitHub Action to build the version of NeoDS with updated dependencies and it does indeed still hang with an ARM9 panic. The binary is attached as an artifact here (it will expire from GitHub after 90 days):
https://github.com/patters-match/NeoDS/actions/runs/6699189805

Last edited by patters,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Presumably this dependency on 8K cluster size is because the libfat version in those old builds of NeoDS was so old it pre-dated widespread use of 32GB cards (which introduced 16KB clusters by default)

I forked @NightScript 's repo as mentioned above and ran the GitHub Action to build the version of NeoDS with updated dependencies and it does indeed still hang with an ARM9 panic. The binary is attached as an artifact here (it will expires after 90 days):
https://github.com/patters-match/NeoDS/actions/runs/6699189805

My testing of the established historic NeoDS builds reveals the following:
  • ✅ DS Lite with EZ-Flash 3in1 and CycloDS Evolution with 8GB microSD
  • ❌ DSi running Unlaunch and TWLM++ with 32GB SD card
  • ❌ 2DS running Luma and TWLM++ with 32GB SD card
  • ✅ New 3DS running Luma and TWLM++ with 4GB microSD

All SD cards tested use the OS default cluster size for their storage capacity.

It would be amazing if someone could successfully build this with newer libraries, and perhaps even for 3DS to benefit from the larger screen resolution.
Can you share the binary here, please ?

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
Sure
Post automatically merged:

Interesting development. I have re-checked my DS Lite. Its microSD is in fact 32GB with 16KB clusters (I had thought it was 8GB), and NeoDS works fine with it. So perhaps it's only 32KB clusters and above that breaks NeoDS. I have updated my test results above.

Attachments

• neods-nightly.zip
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by patters,
Reactions: Indy13

SonThomps91

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Does someone have the .neo collection? I have tried to covert but the exe just pop up and close immediately without the ".neo" file after.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does someone have the .neo collection? I have tried to covert but the exe just pop up and close immediately without the ".neo" file after.
Search online. Please be warned that it is forbidden to request roms, post them or their respective links here. On YouTube, under a certain video, you will find a link.

yoooblls

Trophies
XP
Country
Cambodia
Anyone here know why neods wont load or detect my opera expansion pak
I alr checked everything used different tyoes of builds but dint work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol