Two questions: game saves and VC dump

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by just4747, Sep 24, 2008.

Sep 24, 2008
  1. just4747
    OP

Newcomer just4747 Advanced Member

United States
    I have two quick questions that I searched and cannot seem to find:

1. I'm trying to transfer a savegame of custom SSBB stages onto the Wii memory so I can take it off the SD card. I keep getting the ret = -1 error though when trying to install the gamesave using Waninkoko's SaveGame Installer app. I have this on my SD root: wiisaves\RSBE\private\wii\APP\RSBE\st and in that st folder is the 7 .bin files that make up the save. When I go to the installer with the gamedisc in and try to install, it gives me that error though. What am I doing wrong?
    I read something about having to delete the existing savegame from the Wii first but that doesn't make any sense..who would want to delete their personal gamesave for SSBB? Can't the custom stages be installed on the Wii while keeping my original gamesave with my progress on it??? I'm confused!!!!

1.b. When you download a Wii or VC gamesave from GameFAQs, it comes as one .bin file. How do you load this into the game?

2. Where is a tutorial on how to dump downloaded VC games and to create WADs that can be given to someone else to play, just like they are downloaded online?

Thanks!

2. just4747
    OP

United States
    can anyone help me?

3. just4747
    OP

United States
    All the way back to page 3 now in the forum....can someone please help? I really can't figure out the answer to my first two-parter above and I've searched everywhere (I'm less concerned with question #2).
    Like I said in another thread, there is no organized thread or anything on any of these forums put aside for tutorials or anything, in fact there are barely even any actual tutorials so for us noobs, it can be a chore just to find simple answers.

4. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Copy the original save file to your SD card. It will create a file structure like the following
    /private/wii/title/XXXX/data.bin
    Where XXXX is the ID of the specific game.

Backup this original data.bin and copy the downloaded verison over it. Delete the save file on your Wii and then copy the new save file back from your SD card.

5. just4747
    OP

United States
    So you have to permanently take off your original save file and can't have them both loaded onto the Wii/SD at the same time? Or is there a point where you can copy the new save over to the Wii memory and then reload the original save too?

6. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No its one or the other. You can backup your old save file to an alternate location but the two are completely separate.

7. just4747
    OP

United States
    So I'm guessing the reason I am getting the error in my first question above is because I didn't yet backup and delete the original save file.
    Why can't two separate save files for the same game be transferred to the Wii memory and exist together separately (or on the SD card)? I guess because you can't load separate profile saves or anything like that every time you start up a game. hmmm... Does this just go for when you have one .bin file for a save? Because I downloaded a SSBB custom stage save file and it came in a bunch of .bin files and I could run that from the SD card (in the private, etc folders) while still having my original SSBB save game on my Wii memory be loaded and usable.
    What happens if you have several save files for the same game in the correct folders on the SD card? What will be loaded and won't be?? (Like one series of .bin files for custom stages in the right folder in RSBE and also another series of .bin files for a 100% game save file also in the right folder in RSBE)