Two eeprom.bin files?

About7fish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went through the annoyance of backing up my eeprom via FTP and noticed that I have two files. One is an older version in a UDATA folder, the other is a newer file in E:\Backup. I totally forgot to back up the latter of the two. What is the difference, and is it worth backing up the other one as well?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depending upon the mod one of the files might be a copy of the virtual eeprom and thus not much good at all.

Get yourself a copy of liveinfo ( http://www.konsolenheld.de/downloads/download2.php?id=756 should have a copy though you might do better to hunt around, "xbox liveinfo eeprom" sans quotes is a good search term).

Feed each eeprom file into the program and it should tell you what your serial number is, match that to the back of the xbox.

About7fish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Serial number on the one I FTP'd checks out. What is this virtual eeprom? Is it worth downloading and checking the other, or would it not have the right serial number?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Softmodding was not without its risks/downsides so two methods of negating some issues with devised
Shadow C
Virtual EEPROM.

Shadow C meant the original xbox dash was left on it and some space was taken for a new "C drive" to have the hacked/alternative dashes put on it.

Virtual EEPROM is much along the same concept but for EEPROM (a chip that holds a small amount of data, data needed for the xbox to boot if you have just got a softmod on it). Here some hacks would make a virtual one that other programs could trash but you would still be left with a somewhat bootable xbox to fix it.
You can grab the other if you like but if the serials match then you have a copy of a good one -- to liveinfo virtual eeprom is basically random garbage.

You might have one, the other, none or both. I do not suggest changing whatever setup you presently have really.

About7fish

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fascinating stuff. I can't help but wonder which I have (used SID's 5.0 single boot since it's not as though XBL is a concern anymore), but I don't really have the technical expertise to understand much of it anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE