Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi everybody,
My grandmother has a little hearing problem, and the TV has to be very loud so she can hear it. But other people are a little annoyed with that high volume of sound.

So I was wondering if it is possible to plug in a headphone for her without shutting off the sound for the other people?
(You know how plugging in headphones always disables sound)

Thanks in advance

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What you can do is buy an audio jack splitter, then hook up the headphones plus a set of PC speakers to it.
Other than that, I have no ideas.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wchill said:
What you can do is buy an audio jack splitter, then hook up the headphones plus a set of PC speakers to it.
Other than that, I have no ideas.
well there is another way, using the TV's sound stero output (most TV's do)
you can get a RCA (male or female) to 3.5mm (female) converter and plug the headphones in that way, it shouldn't disable the sound

or there is always the options of a hearing aid...

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have stereo output on your TV, the best option would probably be a headphone amplifier.

Headphone Amplifier $30
1/8" Male to Stereo RCA Female $0.98 for two
1/8" Female to 1/4" Male Adapter $1.71 for three
6FT RCA cable $1.14 for two

So in total you're looking at around $40 ($34 for the amp, $6 for cablestuffs). The RCA 6ft cables are rated rather poorly on monoprice, so if you had a spare set of composite cables lying around you could use those instead.

The Headphone Amp will allow you to turn one audio source into many with per-output volume control. Using a splitter cable or the stereo out won't give you any form of volume control. An inline volume adapter will give you volume limiting, but not amplification.

You'd set it up like this:
Using the RCA adapter and 1/4" adapter, hook up your RCA audio source to the input of the headphone amp. Keep the video part in the TV.
Using the RCA adapter, 1/4" adapter, and a pair of RCA cables, hook up one of the outputs to your TV audio input.
Using the 1/4" adapter, hook up your grandmother's headphones to one of the outputs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: