Tux - Switch Title [IDEA]

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by coen22, Jul 14, 2017.

1. coen22
    OP

coen22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2010
    Netherlands
    Hi Everyone,

As some of you may know, last year I attempted to have 'Tux Adventure' published on the Wii U. However, I was denied because I had to buy a dev kit (which is reasonable, to be honest).
    It's now possible to download to download my Tux game on android. Although, I would still like to develop a BIG game with lots of content. for a great platform like the Nintendo Switch.

Design Document: https://www.dropbox.com/s/goc7xpbtvvxj65q/Design Document.docx?dl=0

I wanted to try doing a Kickstarter. but frist ...
    Let me know what you think!

2. DaMan

DaMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    rms do not approve of his mascot being on closed platforms. You will port to Ouya while shaming BoTW players on Twitter for giving up their freedom.

TotalInsanity4 and iAqua like this.
  3. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Looks like it can be made into something cool, good job!

4. Akorax

Akorax Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2012
    Looks great! Like Mario Galaxy and Croc mixed together, new but also nostalgic. Colors, shaders and especially the design of those crystals are spot on for my taste. I'd love to see it on the switch or whatever system you are aiming for.

5. Dmafra

Dmafra Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 26, 2015
    Brazil
    If you enter on a stage by mistake there's no way to return to select stage screen!

6. coen22
    OP

coen22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2010
    Netherlands
    I’m sorry but I don’t understand. I didn’t shame anyone on twitter and I kinda liked the new zelda.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That’s been fixed in 1.1.0, should be downloadable today, however google play takes some time to update :)

Dmafra likes this.
  7. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    probably shouldn't use the linux mascot it's really cool that you can make a game but maybe focus on something else. get a new unique theme?

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  8. coen22
    OP

coen22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2010
    Netherlands
    Fair point.
    I already have an alternative idea.
    Character design however, is going to take a while.
    Haven’t found a 3D artist yet and my blender skils are rubish :)

9. Akorax

Akorax Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2012
    There's nothing wrong with using a penguin if you've got an original design. Lots of games have them. I say it fits the game and I'd love to see it evolve into a finished character.

Also, this is what I could find on the tux mascot (atleast the image file)

Last edited by Akorax, Jul 15, 2017
  10. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Too similar to Super mario galaxy it won't get greenlit, also your character is akin to the linux penguin tux even is it's a homage .

11. Akorax

Akorax Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2012
    Even if the concept might be inspired from Mario Galaxy the mechanic of playing on a rotating plane/world have been around since at least the PS1 era (check PS1 roll away) and bright colors is just popular these days.

12. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    its not bad making a game similar to smg becuase there are no platformers similar to it yet afaik i wouldnt mind another 3d platformer with the smg fell tbh.

i wouldnt call roll away a 3d platformer tbh it fells more like a puzzle game since you are locked on a grid, reminded me of a game that is kinda like a platformer but locked on a grid too like zapper.

Imo a platformer needs to givr you freedon of movement.

13. sks316

sks316 GBAtemp's Mewtwo™

Nov 28, 2013
    United States
    Cerulean Cave
    It needs a lot of work, but I'd buy it.
    Also, you should either get an original character for the player to control or get permission to use Tux the penguin for your game.

14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Did you make that?
    It looks fun, kind of like the FLUDD-less levels in Super Mario Sunshine, but with the gravity effects of Super Mario Galaxy.
    I always hated those FLUDD-less levels, but I'd probably like them if instead of falling down I just rotated onto the side of the thing I was standing on :P
    Anyway, Wii U devkits are pretty expensive, but I hear Switch devkits are reasonably priced (not much more than a retail unit actually), and Switch has gained far more interest than the Wii U ever did, so it would be a good platform to release on. also add a secret homebrew exploit. jk
    Linux fanboys might not be happy with it, FOSS is the spirit of Linux after all, but according to this (from the guy who first came up with Tux): http://isc.tamu.edu/~lewing/linux/
    He is free to use the character, however using the name Linux is probably not a good idea since the name is copyrighted by Linus Torvalds.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jul 15, 2017
    sks316 likes this.
  15. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Reminds me of Mario Galaxy. Keep going!

sks316 likes this.
  16. DaMan

DaMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    It was a joke. rms would have a stroke if he saw the Linux mascot on a freedom hating Nintendo console.

17. Felek666

Felek666 retarded memekid which no one likes

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Looks simple but I can't wait to see what it'll evolve into. Keep working on it and start kickstarter if necessary. If it turns out to be a success, shove your money and love into this project.

18. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    Kernel Version: Linux 4.14.6-1-zen
    The vanilla Linux kernel is not apart of the GNU Project, Tux isn't their mascot.

Felek666 likes this.
  19. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Ever consider implementing distance scaled gravity? I.e. the closer you are to the surface the stronger but start decaying again on the inside.

coen22 and hobbledehoy899 like this.
  20. coen22
    OP

coen22 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2010
    Netherlands
    I’m working on a very flexible physics system and would deffenitely be nice to have custom gravity functions (Kepler says it should be quadratic based on the distance, though something else could be fun too). Currently it only supports convex shapes, however I’m going to make an editor in Unity for concave shapes (more complex, with holes and stuff. On top of that I also want circular levels like in my android game and traditional 2d/3d levels.

I’m also working on a door mechanic, like in alice in wonderland. Here I really need to optimize the rendering process.

Lastly, I’m working on some nice shaders. I especially want some nice grass :)