0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I really wanted Yahoo Messenger on my DS, and I figured there would be a homebrew version similar to BEUP. The only Yahoo homebrew is non-functional, so after much searching, I thought the only way to do it would be using web-based versions such as ebuddy on Bunjalloo. While these did work, they were slow, requiring a page refresh to receive every message, and forget having multiple conversations functionally at the same time. Not being satisfied, I found another way to get yahoo on the DS, and I thought I'd share this method to save other people the same trouble I had in finding and configuring it. Note, this method works with these IM protocols as well: XMPP/Jabber, Google Talk, Twitter, Facebook, MSN Messenger, AIM and ICQ. What's really useful is being able to sign into more than one client at one time and being able to easily manage all your conversations.

Step 1:
Obtain an IRC client for DS, I really like Clirc DS because of the window management system, and being able to connect to three different networks simultaneously.

Step 2:
Configure your IRC client with the following settings:

Server: im.bitlbee.org
port: 6667
Nick: whatever you want it to be, to set your display name for others to see use:

CODEaccount set /display_name "Display Name"

Step 3:
Adding your IM account(s)

Connect to the server you configured above. It will automatically drop you into #bitlbee and &bitlbee, the other user you will see is root, the bot for configuring your IM.

In the &bitlbee window, type the command:

Code:
account add yahoo username123 password123

username123 is your yahoo account without the @yahoo, password123 is your yahoo password.

In the same window type
Code:
register password

where password is whatever password you want to login to your IM accounts from your DS. You're now in business, whenever you want to login to your yahoo/whatever IM account, you just connect to the server you set up, and type
Code:
identify password
in the &bitlbee window, where password is the password you registered. This will log you in to any IM accounts you've added. Your online friends will appear in the #bitlbee window, just select a friend you want to message and use /query like in regular IRC. If you want a list of all your contacts regardless of status, type "blist all" into &bitlbee. For further help documentation, type "help commands" to get more detailed information on changing your status, adding friends, etc. All commands are without quotes. I know some people already know about bitlbee, but it was news to me and a guide like this would have been helpful. If you have any questions regarding usage of bitlbee with clirc just ask here and I will assist.

Edit: Updated step two regarding display name.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Inunah said:
Is there a way I could make this tutorial work AND make everyone see a display name instead of my login ID?

I think if you set a nick in actual messenger, it will carry over, but I know of no way to set a nick from the DS. I'm not sure though, I haven't asked anyone what my name was, if it was the nick I set in IRC. Asking someone online is the only way I can think of of finding out.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, looking into it, there appears to be a command for setting your display name for others:

This works for all networks except Jabber.

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
0ddity said:
Actually, looking into it, there appears to be a command for setting your display name for others:

This works for all networks except Jabber.
Neat.

This whole tutorial would help if any DS IRC clients worked on my DS. Most of them don't want to load the server configuration screen, then another one doesn't want to connect to bitlbee.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Make sure you set the system wifi settings in another game first, then connect to default wifi connection (in clirc.) Also try connecting to different irc servers to see if its your wifi settings or a problem with the server set up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1