[Tutorial] [Virtual Boy] Turn VB on without AC Adapter set

Discussion in 'General Tutorials' started by Alex4U, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Alex4U
    OP

Member Alex4U The best Virtual Boy fanboy you'll see

Mexico
    *i've set images as spoilers because images was too big, sorry.

You have a Virtual Boy, Cool! you have one of the rarest consoles of Nintendo! that's very cool! but... you don't have AC Adapter set... one like this:

AC Adapter Set VB

Okay! No problem! you can still mod your controller to power on your Virtual Boy without soldering!
    *It's recommended to solder Virtual Boy controller + and - if you don't want AC Adapter set.
    *This mod is very easy!

Just you need a cheap SNES AC adapter! I brought this:
    AC adapter
    -----------------------------------
    My AC info:
    Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz
    0.3MAX
    Output: 12V - 700mA

-----------------------------------
    Okay, cut it, and search + and - in your AC Adapter, like mine:
    + and -

*If you don't know how to find + and - in your AC adapter, you should open it, and in motherboard should say, or use any tool to find + and -, like leds.

Next, in your controller, put the cables in the pins, Left is Negative, Right is Positive, like this:
    + and - in VB Controller

Excelent! now try to turn on your Virtual Boy, if works, congrats! you don't need anymore AC Adapter Set! (unless if you don't want AC Adapter Set, you should solder the VB Controller pins)

Also, you should put something, like scotch tape, something like this:
    wut

Anyway, here is my cutie virtual boy working with this mod ^^/ :
    cutie Virtual Boy ^^

And no, this can't damage you virtual boy unless you put + and - reverse, so be careful!

I hope this can be useful for anyone who have a Virtual Boy without AC adapter set ^^/

*also sorry for the shitty english i have lmao

Something random like hopes about me with this console kek

Last edited by Alex4U, Mar 20, 2017
    Sliter, SMVB64 and markehmus like this.
  2. TheGrayShow1467

Member TheGrayShow1467 屈折

United States
    Mod idea: Replace the internals of the Virtual Boy with that of a modern VR headset...
    Actually, I think I might try that at some point...

TotalInsanity4 and elBenyo like this.
  3. Alex4U
    OP

Member Alex4U The best Virtual Boy fanboy you'll see

Mexico
    I don't think that would be possible...
    First, the Motherboard is too big...
    Second, no focus and no IRD focus too...
    Would be a nice idea, but sounds like impossible unless the VR has too much space for the Virtual Boy Motherboard.
    Also, the VB needs a special lents, (No LCD) So i don't know if that would be possible, possibly maybe TM
    I want to do a lot of mods with that console! Like:
    VB controller to USB
    VB screen to TV with easy installation
    VB Rechargable Battery would not be a bad idea too...
    Re-painting the Virtual Boy, i would love it to have one green with black!
    And much more! But... schools sucks, and i have a lot of homework :'( also sometimes i don't havs enough time to play or draw ;w;
    Anyway, soon TM

4. Jockel

Member Jockel Tagging yourself? This shit ain't NeoGAF.

Germany
    Nooooo why didn't you just buy a power converter thingie? :(

5. TotalInsanity4

Member TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    Better mod idea: the reverse

TheGrayShow1467 likes this.
  6. 6adget

Newcomer 6adget Advanced Member

United States
    At least get a multimeter so you can determine positive and negative wires. You can pick them up very cheap. You should never play around with electrical stuff without one, even if it is low voltage. As to the power adapter, get one that has the voltage as close to what is called for but not over. But the amps have to at least be what is called for, but is safer to find one with the amps to be higher, but never lower. If the power adapter has too low of amps it will get hot then burn out, and a lot of times it will kill the device it's trying to power at the same time. If a device requires say 2 amps, but your power supply only provides .5 amps, the device will still try to pull 2 amps. The power converter can't supply that much and will burn out. I repair electronics for a living, and watching people do things like this without really knowing what they are doing scares the hell out of me. Not trying to be disrespectful, but please be careful. Just because it works for a few minutes does not mean it won't burn out an hour or days later.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The VB power adapter should be DC10V 850mA. The one you are using has too much volts, and not enough amps. Sometimes you can have lower amps if the voltage is a little higher, but with the power adapter you are using you are just shortening the life span of your VB. Do yourself a favor and find one that matches the OEM power adapter. Thrift stores sell them for a dollar.

7. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Didn't the virtual boy come with a detachable battery compartment? I don't have an AC adaptor. My VB has an official battery compartment that takes 6 AA batteries.

Last edited by bowser, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:36 AM