Turn off boot-time disc search.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Nemix77, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Nemix77
    OP

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off or disable the disc search feature when the Wii boots?

Maybe there's BootMii or some other boot2 modification?

I'm unaware if anything like this exists, I've tried Googling but no results.

I find the boot-time disc search feature pretty annoying especially now I use USB loaders exclusively.

I just want the boot-time search disabled and NOT disc reading disabled all together.

Thanks,

2. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    I think it's hardware set that the wii tries to suck in a disk when turned on, not blockable by softmod.
    I don't think this affects boot time though...? What gives you that impression?

3. Tagg7

Tagg7 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    I totally agree with you, but I don't think anyone has found a way around it yet.

4. olliepop2000

olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    North West UK
    Does a fully bricked Wii do it? If so I presume it is something the drive does at powerup. If not maybe it is software? Just a thought...

5. Det1re

Det1re det1re.de

Oct 28, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    I think it's software based. It's also somewhat of a self test for the drive, similiar to S.M.A.R.T. for HDDs.

6. resistor

resistor Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2009
    i think preloader does it, its done via software, if not you could repair full bricks with a original game with a higher sm version

7. twofive

twofive GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2008
    Poland
    This is hardware, because when you install a new drive, and only plug in the power into the drive (not that flat cable that transfers the data), and then turn the wii on, it tries to suck in a disc. Also, this happens in a such early state of boot that there isn't any software running yet.

8. olliepop2000

olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    North West UK
    I had a feeling that was the case, as it does it even in bootmii. Looks like this idea is at a dead end.