Hardware Trying to Record VOEZ

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I tried once to record Voez with a smartphone.
You don't realize that you can't hear anything while recording with sound, right?
So this defeats whole purpose since Voez is a rhythm game.
Not really an issue. Plug a 3.5mm male/male cable from the Switch to your PC, plug your headphones into the PC, and enable "Listen to this device"
Or there's an even easier way, get a headphone splitter, plug one end in your PC and the other into your headphones. Volume will be a bit lower though.
I'll give the benefit of the doubt for sure but I'm not gonna let them run away with my imagination on it either.

I wonder how much longer they intend to not have media service streaming (Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon Video) and internet browsing. Those feel like things that should inherently be ready on a given system. They aren't brand new concepts that have never before been used and need to be tested (maybe the browser so they don't give homebrew access again, idk)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

At this rate I think your better off using a video camera with some sort of brace to keep the system and camera focused and not shaky. I've seen people do so for the 3DS to great success.
Yeah, I'm not entirely convinced they'll add a video capture feature either. They said they would look into it, I don't think they've 100% confirmed it's coming, and anyway, I can see the Switch struggling to keep up when running a demanding game and trying to record at the same time. Maybe it would be limited to docked mode only, and force the switch into 720p mode when enabled, basically running it in handheld mode with all the extra docked power used for recording. Kind of limiting, but not too bad.

I've used a camera with a ghetto mount using a kitchen paper roll holder and an empty roll to shove the camera in to record DS games in the past. It worked pretty well, the image was so clear that you could see the space between the pixels. I actually had to make the camera out of focus just a little bit to counteract that but that shouldn't happen with higher resolution screens.
But it's no replacement for direct video capture.
The main problem is you'll never be able to hold the console perfectly still AND be able to play it properly at the same time. It was awkward to play with the setup I had, because the camera was in the way, and I didn't have the console mounted or placed on anything, as I wouldn't be able to hold it normally and it would be awkward to use the buttons.
This is especially true for VOEZ, because anything that partially covers up the screen like a camera makes the game harder since you won't see all the beats (notes? button presses? not sure what to call them) flying at you, and if the Switch was mounted on something you would pretty much not be able to play with your thumbs like the game is designed for. And your fingers/hands would be visible in the recording (that might be desirable in this case though)
It's not as much of a problem for slow paced games like Pokemon which is what I played when I did the DS recordings.

Figured I'd post this here in case it hasn't been tested:

So, I wanted to set up VOEZ in a way that I could record it using my Elgato... Though, the problem is that title is touch-screen only, and therefore cannot be played from the dock. (No way to use touchscreen)

I tried the following workaround:

USB-C extender (F->M) plugged into where the Switch would normally connect to the dock, and then connected that to the Switch. Here's what it looked like:

C81YAa2UAAAllJm.jpg:large

Which gave me the following results:
Touch screen is still disabled
Touch screen is black (off)
Game displays "This game is only played in handheld mode"
Joycons attached to tablet are inoperable until detached.

So, tl;dr:
Unless there is a way to pass the video signal to the HDMI output without the Switch thinking it's docked, no streaming/recording touchscreen only games. RIP my dream of streaming VOEZ and other touch titles...
So it won't let you play at all with the dock connected? That's too bad. It would have been playable even without an image on the touchscreen, it would just take some getting used to estimating the correct position on the touchscreen based on what's happening on the big screen.
Maybe you could contact the devs and see if they're willing to add the ability to dismiss the "This game is only played in handheld mode" message and keep playing. That is as long as Nintendo's SDK doesn't disable touchscreen input completely so the game can't even access it. It's worth a shot at least, small indie devs are more likely to listen to their fans than big companies like EA and Ubisoft. For example, some people complained that Snake Pass had really loud rumble and people seemed to think it was a bug, and they released a patch a day or two ago that fixes that. I never saw it as an issue, I'm used to rumble being pretty loud (it was loud as fuck on the Wii U gamepad for example), but still, they listened to the complaints and were quick about releasing a fix for it, even though I'm sure it was just a vocal minority that complained about the issue.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
be all crazy modder and take the digitizer off the LCD and hang it off the bottom of the console so you can use the touch screen and keep your hands out of shot.......ok I think were are going too far now, I guess it depends how much you want clear screen recording

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really an issue. Plug a 3.5mm male/male cable from the Switch to your PC, plug your headphones into the PC, and enable "Listen to this device"
Don't do this. Last time I tested this on a Windows 7 machine (since enabling microphone in the regular mixer wasn't available), it resulted in something like 0.5s audio input lag, which is unusable.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I wanted to record some gameplay for my review, but ended up not bothering. My thought was only to use a tripod (and record with phone).

I have to say, some songs are bullshit :P Did the song "Run Lads Run" on Special. I got the worst rank, C, and around 700,000 points (or if it was closer to 800,000).... I missed 2 notes! out of 980! GAAH!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Don't do this. Last time I tested this on a Windows 7 machine (since enabling microphone in the regular mixer wasn't available), it resulted in something like 0.5s audio input lag, which is unusable.
I've done it many times. In fact I used my PC as a headphone amplifier this way many times, and I've never experienced lag that bad. There was some audio lag, but it was barely noticeable at all and not an issue. I guess it will vary depending on your setup (drivers, software) though, but I've done it on at least 2 different laptops and 2 different desktops, and never had that issue.
There's an even easier/better way, just get a headphone splitter so you can connect it to both at the same time. It will lower volume a bit though.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are many ways to reduce audio capture latency, your specific issue was you were letting windows post process the audio. You need to uncheck "Listen To" and turn up the "Line In" playback volume using the software that came with your device.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wanted to record some gameplay for my review, but ended up not bothering. My thought was only to use a tripod (and record with phone).

I have to say, some songs are bullshit :P Did the song "Run Lads Run" on Special. I got the worst rank, C, and around 700,000 points (or if it was closer to 800,000).... I missed 2 notes! out of 980! GAAH!
Seems like anything but perfect hits will lower your rank a lot. I rarely have many misses but I still haven't gotten any better than a B and that was on Hard. I like to challenge myself so I only play on the 2 highest difficulties, needless to say my ranks are not that great. Sometimes on the highest difficulty I'll find songs that have impossible portions and I miss a lot but that's not the norm.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are many ways to reduce audio capture latency, your specific issue was you were letting windows post process the audio. You need to uncheck "Listen To" and turn up the "Line In" playback volume using the software that came with your device.
The system in question didn't have that option.

D

Deleted User

Man, i always get S rank on Hard difficulty :P

MarinaTentacles

Leader of the Googie Gang
OP
Trophies
Website
marinara.gg
XP
Country
United States
Nice research, even though it seemed kinda obvious, but how about trying to record VOEZ on/from a Smartphone rather than from a Switch, since it's a smartphone game as well?
Had my dog not eaten my iPad, I'd have tried that :-/

So it won't let you play at all with the dock connected? That's too bad. It would have been playable even without an image on the touchscreen, it would just take some getting used to estimating the correct position on the touchscreen based on what's happening on the big screen.
Maybe you could contact the devs and see if they're willing to add the ability to dismiss the "This game is only played in handheld mode" message and keep playing. That is as long as Nintendo's SDK doesn't disable touchscreen input completely so the game can't even access it. It's worth a shot at least, small indie devs are more likely to listen to their fans than big companies like EA and Ubisoft. For example, some people complained that Snake Pass had really loud rumble and people seemed to think it was a bug, and they released a patch a day or two ago that fixes that. I never saw it as an issue, I'm used to rumble being pretty loud (it was loud as fuck on the Wii U gamepad for example), but still, they listened to the complaints and were quick about releasing a fix for it, even though I'm sure it was just a vocal minority that complained about the issue.

I'm mostly interested in solving this issue since there are sure to be some more touch-only games in the future. I assume that even if I got lucky and the developers did patch the issue, I think the SDK will be a roadblock as I am 99% sure the touch screen locks in dock because there's no reason for it to be available, you physically can't touch it while docked. Due to the processing power balancing, Nintendo surely has that set in stone...

I guess I could just settle this the hard way:
Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.46.46 AM.png

Last edited by MarinaTentacles,

MarinaTentacles

OP
Trophies
Website
marinara.gg
XP
Country
United States
How about getting the game on iPad and hook it up to a HDMI adapter?
Because the point is to see if touch-only games for the Switch can be set up in a streaming/recording friendly method. Also, VOEZ on Switch has some exclusive songs ;)

The point isn't to stream VOEZ exclusively, but rather find a workaround for all Switch games in the future that will be touch-only or handheld only.

Sorry for being off-topic but what kind of usb c to hdmi cable do you use? I'm really interested in buying one. :)
I don't have a USB-C to HDMI. My setup is Monitor <- HDMI Cable <- Elgato Capture Card <- HDMI Cable <- Switch Dock <- USB-C Extension (Male to Female) <- Nintendo Switch :)

Reactions: Eddypikachu

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Had my dog not eaten my iPad, I'd have tried that :-/

I'm mostly interested in solving this issue since there are sure to be some more touch-only games in the future. I assume that even if I got lucky and the developers did patch the issue, I think the SDK will be a roadblock as I am 99% sure the touch screen locks in dock because there's no reason for it to be available, you physically can't touch it while docked. Due to the processing power balancing, Nintendo surely has that set in stone...

I guess I could just settle this the hard way:
View attachment 83668
I don't think Nintendo provides Switch devkits to the general public yet. They're keeping it more closed in the beginning to discourage flooding the eShop with mediocre titles while there are so few good ones, as it would look bad.

MarinaTentacles

OP
Trophies
Website
marinara.gg
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Nintendo provides Switch devkits to the general public yet. They're keeping it more closed in the beginning to discourage flooding the eShop with mediocre titles while there are so few good ones, as it would look bad.
Fair, but signing up now for the developer program will give me an opportunity to be grandfathered in.

It's better thank not trying anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."