Hacking "True" region free?

Muyfa666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there.

I have a PAL Wii @ V3.2 with a Wiikey v1, 1.9s.

Working good and so as long as I play PAL games.

NTSC games never really worked good for me, but I didn't bother.

Now however, I wanna play some NTSC games. With Gecko OS set at region free, I can boot all NTSC games I want, no problems.

Is there any way to fix the kind of region free Gecko OS uses more permanently in my Wii? My chip is set to region free, but Gecko seem to be better.

Gecko is good and all, but it doesn't save any settings, so I have to change the settings every time I start the Gecko channel.

This is why I want the region free to be more permanent.

Muyfa666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I tried Starfall, and while it seem to work at boot, it doesn't when I try to start the game.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
use the Any Region Changer 1.1b mod5, just install the Starfall-kind hacks, the korean IOS are not needed, and that will set a real region free...!!
wink.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any and all homebrew apps have the potential to brick your wii. That said, as long as you don't stop the process midway (turning off the power, etc) everything should install pretty much automatically and with no problems.

disguises

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have starfall installed but games like no more heroes (NTSC) still do not work on my PAL wii. The game shows up in the disc channel, i click start but the screen stays black. I believe it is something to do with video modes? Works perfect through any of the backup loaders though.

(Retail copy of no more heroes btw)

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
disguises said:
I have starfall installed but games like no more heroes (NTSC) still do not work on my PAL wii. The game shows up in the disc channel, i click start but the screen stays black. I believe it is something to do with video modes? Works perfect through any of the backup loaders though.

These games work when trucha signed on firmware 3.2 or below, or if you change the region of your wii to ntsc using Any Region Changer.
Starfall or Preloader does not give full region free just partial.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tanas said:
disguises said:

These games work when trucha signed on firmware 3.2 or below, or if you change the region of your wii to ntsc using Any Region Changer.
Starfall or Preloader does not give full region free just partial.

By Partial you mean that the banner from the disc appears on the Disc Channel...?? cause no one has reported region free functioning from starfall or preloader at all...!!
rofl.gif

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
mod5 did partially work for me. not all pal games worked from disc channel + modchip. most of the games did but for example harvest moon: magical melody and mario party 8 simply didn't boot up through the disc channel. both of them where pal games on a ntsc-u wii with component signal on a multi norm tv. both of that games locked up with blackscreen. i can't remember other games but i am sure there have been a couple of games with that problem. it's a problem with video mode needed/forced by the game.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Screemer said:
mod5 did partially work for me. not all pal games worked from disc channel + modchip. most of the games did but for example harvest moon: magical melody and mario party 8 simply didn't boot up through the disc channel. both of them where pal games on a ntsc-u wii with component signal on a multi norm tv. both of that games locked up with blackscreen. i can't remember other games but i am sure there have been a couple of games with that problem. it's a problem with video mode needed/forced by the game.

you need to change the video output to PAL for those games to work..!!

QUOTE said:
Maybe I'd be better off to just wait for Gecko OS 2.0? ;-)

Why so scared, every 1 of 2 members of GBATemp has used it..!!
wtf.gif

preloader and starfall together will do this with backups if you remember to patch the iso file to the proper region before burning it...
I think the trick was made by the patcher (region frii), not from starfall or preloader...!!
smile.gif

Muyfa666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd rather not modify my ISO's.

Gecko OS was doing decent job to let me run them.

I have some gripes with the app, but maybe they are fixed in the next version.

Is there some way to customize Gecko OS to always be set to region free?

That would make all other loaders redundant IMHO.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol