trouble with the EZ-Flash IV

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Devilkid32177, Jan 3, 2011.

Jan 3, 2011
  1. Devilkid32177
    OP

Member Devilkid32177 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ok, ive had this card for some time since my friend gave this to me, yeah i can run gba games with no issue but i have tried time and again to run NDS roms on it, but no luck, i get a white screen with every one of the games that i have tried to load

so does anyone have a easy to follow tutorial on how to set this up to run NDS games??

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Playing games with passme on slot2 is limited to roms less than 32MB. You can't use a rom that has AP or DSi enhanced features. You can't use cheats, unless you hard patched them to the rom.

It is no longer a prefered method, unless you got some really old or crappy slot1 flashcart.

Otherwise go here: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=923

Be aware that updates for it stopped back in 2009 even though you can still get one.

3. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    A R4 is the cheapest way to get NDS roms running.

I guess you don't need a cart that has DSi support as you're trying to load games from slot 2.

4. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    @the pi:
    ok, i didn't want to know that i have to buy an R4, im doing this for my own info tutorial in case i want to give this to my younger brother to play with, since he has a crappy r4 clone

@how_do_i_do_that:
    im running through a slot-1 flashcart to enable the NDS-mode of the EZ-Flash IV, like i said im just doing this to figure out the card better, but thanks anyways for the links there [​IMG]

ok the filetrip site is down again, does anyone have the EZ-Flash Client?

5. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
  6. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    i know about the passme devices, but would it be better using a nopass device like another flashcart?

7. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    NoPass is a passme function of a slot1 flashcart. All decent slot1 flashcarts have this function.

Passme was done with a Passme only device that you put in slot1.

Passme is outdated and obsolete as was mainly for slot1 flashcarts that didn't support microSDHC. Using it now just makes you look like a cheap person who wouldn't put out any money for a decent sized microSDHC for a slot1. 16GB class 4 is like 30 to 40 bucks online on newegg. Assuming your not using a OG R4 or the other R4.

8. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    ok, here is my setup:

SCDSTwo
    8gb Sandisk/ Class 2
    EZ-Flash IV
    1gb Kingston / Class ?? (unsure)

all im trying to do is setup my EZ-Flash for later reference since my younger brother has a really crappy R4 and i was hoping to get the info for this thing before his birthday came up.

i knew i was running a no-pass device, that is how i was getting into the nds-side of the EZ-Flash, all i wanted to know is how to properly set it up for it, cause the main thing i understand about the walk-through you linked in here is, mainly i have to have a PassMe device to work it, but i knew that, what i wanted to know is, what other files is needed in order to run the NDS games from the EZ-Flash IV?

its trued the client has stopped updates, but the xmslromlist you have to download for it often gets updates. [​IMG]

i really don't mean to sound like an ass in here but have i have been working with this for quite awhile now and well i decided to breakdown and ask for help on this

9. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    When you boot the EZ-Flash IV in DS mode it should look like this:

[​IMG]

If it doesn't, you will need to install the ezfla_up.bin from the EZ Client file from filetrip. The link is in the previous post.

For the most part you can just dump the nds file as is on the microSD of the EZ-IV. If the game doesn't work by just copying directly, you will need to use the EZ Client.

[​IMG]

To flash the ezfla_up.bin to the cart, put the file in the root directory. Then when you boot into slot2 or pick GBA from the DS menu, press and hold the R button on the DS when you select the slot2. This will tell the cart to flash the new bin file to the cart.

10. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    ok... well there is a few files that i have to copy to the card, but i want to know where to put them exactly in the memory card:

[​IMG]

now, from my picture these are the files mainly trying to figure out if these files go on the card also i dont have the rom list ready , getting it now

what i really like to know is to see a finished product of the EZ-Flash IV micro card file list and compare it to mine, if that isn't too hard

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Finished product is a saver directory on the root of the cart* which you can make or I think EZ4 Client makes and matching saves for the games- the EZ4 needs nothing else to function.

*that is to say if your miniSD was on the e:\ drive the folder would read e:\saver\

To save asking the .sav files you see there are workarounds for a couple of DS games that require say the first level to have been finished to avoid crashing.

The ezfla_up.bin only comes into play when you update the loader (no updates in some time now) or want a new skin. Other than that it does not need to be on the card. It was usually distributed by itself but it was bundled to save hassle.

"HOMEBREW AND DLDI" just contains a few files like the DS side DLDI patcher (proof of concept and a some of chishm's own hombrew aside nothing on the GBA uses it so you can probably ignore it), the DLDI file itself and a DS header building program (DS homebrew on these old carts is more likely to work if you just append a GBA header and rename .ds.gba).

12. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Your looking at it in the previous post. The ezfla_up.bin file contains both the DS and GBA loaders in one.

13. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    ok?? so you dont need the romlistid in the micro sd card??

14. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    I don't use one. I don't use the EZ-Flash IV for NDS much anymore.

15. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    from what i caught at, that you need it to run most new games, so you need the sysbin folder in the micro card

16. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    All the romlist ever did for the EZ4 (earlier versions of the EZ5 are a different matter) was allow the EZ4 loader to use a name when sending the rom over (the GBA side of things also has a rom list called romname.lst)- even then you could just type your chosen name in at the box in the top left corner of the program.

It has nothing to do with the loader, I would go so far as to say the loader has no idea the rom list even exists. Likewise to the best of my knowledge it has no bearing on compatibility with DS roms (all the other fields are redundant).

If you wanted to say keep the EZ4client program/setup on the miniSD so you can just plug it into the reader and go from there* then go right ahead (personally I would stick it in another directory though).

*quite a few people did back when as readers were not quite so common as they are today. It is also why the DLDI ds side patcher was added- saves having to find a DLDI patcher and run it on the machine.

17. Devilkid32177
    OP

United States
    ok, thanks, i redid my card and tested quite a few games, and it seems to work with no issues now

[​IMG] listen to everyone that i was talking with in here, i didn't mean to sound like an ass and i do apologize for that