Hacking Trouble with new SD

DarkAllNight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Finally decided to switch from a 4GB card to a 32GB one, people said I simply had to copy and paste all the files from one to the other. Problem is after doing that (After doing the recommended formatting in FAT32 on the new card), my 3DS doesn't want to turn on anymore. The little blue light shines for a few seconds and then turns off, managed to turn it on without the SD card but once I open Luma to check if everything is fine it says "SD card was removed, press any button to reboot".
Halp?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you still have that backup copy of stuff on the 4 GB one?

Do not skip any of these steps.
- First, reformat the 32 GB card using guiformat.exe , FAT32 and 32 KB (32768) cluster size. If you get an error, try reformatting the card as exFAT on Windows File Explorer and then retry it again using guiformat.exe. It should work then.

- Second , check that your card is not fake using H2testw.exe. Do not assume just because it looks real with an actual name brand labels and you bought it at a supposedly reputable shop, it can still be fake. You have to do both Write + Verify all 32 GB on the card. None of this matters if your card is not real, and if we don't know that for sure.

- Third , after copying everything back from 4 GB to the 32 GB card, and it's still giving you problems on 3DS, try removing your SD card and battery and let your 3DS sit alone for 5 minutes. Put back the battery but not the SD card. If this doesn't solve the problem, let us know.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

DarkAllNight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

- First, reformat the 32 GB card using guiformat.exe , FAT32 and 32 KB (32768) cluster size. If you get an error, try reformatting the card as exFAT on Windows File Explorer and then retry it again using guiformat.exe. It should work then.

- Second , check that your card is not fake using H2testw.exe. Do not assume just because it looks real with an actual name brand labels and you bought it at a supposedly reputable shop, it can still be fake. You have to do both Write + Verify all 32 GB on the card.

- Third , after copying everything back from 4 GB to the 32 GB card, and it's still giving you problems on 3DS, try removing your SD card and battery and let your 3DS sit alone for 5 minutes. Put back the battery but not the SD card. If this doesn't solve the problem, let us know.

Thanks for the help, I'll do those steps and come back once it's done.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

DarkAllNight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

- Second , check that your card is not fake using H2testw.exe. Do not assume just because it looks real with an actual name brand labels and you bought it at a supposedly reputable shop, it can still be fake. You have to do both Write + Verify all 32 GB on the card. None of this matters if your card is not real, and if we don't know that for sure.

I guess there's nothing else I can do. H2testw says the media is likely damaged so I'll probably have to buy a new one from a more reliable source.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess there's nothing else I can do. H2testw says the media is likely damaged so I'll probably have to buy a new one from a more reliable source.
You have my sympathies. Unless you had this card for while and it just died, getting ripped off happens to the best of us. :/

For future card checks if you're short on time and need to do returns at a short instant, you can do a quick & dirty check by writing and verifying 5 GB onto the card. Most fakes are only around 4 GB. You do occasionally get 8 GB fakes from more serious counterfeiters.

But always do a full write & verify before you use it on the 3DS.

Reactions: DarkAllNight

DarkAllNight

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You have my sympathies. Unless you had this card for while and it just died, getting ripped off happens to the best of us. :/

For future card checks if you're short on time and need to do returns at a short instant, you can do a quick & dirty check by writing and verifying 5 GB onto the card. Most fakes are only around 4 GB. You do occasionally get 8 GB fakes from more serious counterfeiters.

But always do a full write & verify before you use it on the 3DS.
Thanks for all the help, I'll keep that in mind :). And now to find a good place to buy a new one ;-;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans