Trouble Installing b9s with DSiware save inject method

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DarkDengar, May 28, 2017.

1. DarkDengar
    OP

DarkDengar Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    United States
    Hello all,
    I'm following the guide (https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware-save-injection)) for an 11.4 O3DS XL using the Zelda Four Swords USA as the game (transferred to a CFW O3DS from old DSi). I've run into a snag...

Where we're at:
    I injected the save on a CFW 11.4 O3DS XL and tested it before transferring; it did indeed cause Four Swords to launch on a white screen as detailed in the guide. (aside: should one be able to exit the exploited Four Swords using the Home button? because I could...)

I then transferred the source system with injected save to the target system. Currently, the target system can open the game and get the same white screen as the source system did. However, placing the boot.nds from here (https://github.com/Plailect/b9sTool/releases) 2.1, at the root of the SD card of the target system does not change the white screen, unless booting the b9s installer takes longer than 15 minutes...

I see Plailect left a note about Four Swords having trouble booting the installer; is that the problem here? Or could I have injected the wrong region's Four Swords save? Has anyone here installed b9s using the method I'm using?

Any help or advice is appreciated in advance. :)

Quantumcat likes this.
  2. sephizack

sephizack Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2017
    France
    Exactyly the same problem here

3. Omegapsy

Omegapsy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2012
    United States
    The load should be instant. When you get the white screen with no boot .nds on your sd does it error out like it says it should? If so then you installed the proper exploit, and are just having issues loading the installer. You could try the 2.0 version and see if that works.

EDIT: This is the more stable and updated version of the transfer exploit. https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(dsiware-game-injection)

Last edited by Omegapsy, Jun 10, 2017
  4. DarkDengar
    OP

DarkDengar Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2015
    United States
    Woops! I almost forgot to follow up! @sephizack, I hope this helps you and anyone else that had this problem.

I installed b9s on the OFW 11.4 successfully a couple of days ago, hurrah! What I ended up doing was installing the savegame exploit on another 3ds and transferring it. But there is one thing I did differently... namely, I tested the exploit by actually placing the boot.nds payload on source CFW 3ds.
    This sounds like a "d'oh, why didn't you do that in the first place dummy" situation, but the very clear and bold red warnings about BRICKING from running b9s installer on an a9lh CFW scared me off, and it isn't there as a step in the guide.

To anyone using the DSiware save method for installing b9s: test the exploit (beyond launching the game and seeing the white screen). If you don't, you might end up waiting a week when you didn't need to.
    MAKE SURE the payload loads successfully by putting the installer boot.nds on the root of SD card of the source 3ds, but do not run anything on the installer! Once the installer screen loads up, you know it worked, so you can force power off the 3ds. At this point you should be good to transfer and follow the rest of the guide.

What probably happened the first time was that I installed the EUR 4swords savegame instead of the USA 4swords savegame. (I vaguely remember not finding the exact same ID in the NAND.) With that attempt, the white-screen did come up as detailed in the guide, but when it came to loading the payload, no joy.
    Not sure if that really could have been the case, guess we'd have to ask a dev. But hey, it worked, it's done, and I'm happy. ^_^ Hope it works for anyone else doing it!

Quantumcat and XXII like this.