Hacking Trimming rom question...

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering what roms will have problems when they're trimmed? And while we're at it, what's the recommended program for trimming roms for an R4?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
None that I know of. It might just be a one-off chance that a rom will have a problem when trimmer. I believe the safest trimmers are the DS-X manager and Rominator/DSClippers

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
You will have problems with a trimmed game if the trimmer delete a part of the game.

None of the recently developed trimmers would delete part of the game, unless the rom dump has false information about the actual ROM size (there are a few that state the size to be Zero, which is crap on the game developer's part)

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as hank said they will only delete if the rom header has an incorrect size, currently only one rom is like that and i'm frialy sure it's a (j) one.

Xtreme Bug

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I tried trimming Billiard Action (E) in Rominator with the safe trim option set and it resulted in a corrupt rom. Tried obtaining that rom from different sources and it ended up in a corrupt file every single time (Neither my R4 or Rominator itself would read it). Other than that, everything else I've tried has turned out perfectly fine.

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should have mentioned if you use RomeR you can fix that problem in settings tick the option "fix header length pointer" and hit apply it will fix the header and should prevent the rom from being overtrimmed
smile.gif

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really the reason it corrupts the game is the header has a value in it which should tell you the size of the rom excluding empty space. The current trimmers read that number and then delete the empty section from the end. Some developers don't bother with the number for whatever reason so if the number is 0 the trimmer will delete everything and corrupt the file. The fix i described using romer puts the current filesize into that space so the rom won't overtrim but it will occupy the full 16MB or 32MB etc that the original cart did

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT