Trimming rom question...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Harsky, May 12, 2007.

May 12, 2007

Trimming rom question... by Harsky at 1:05 PM (1,236 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I was wondering what roms will have problems when they're trimmed? And while we're at it, what's the recommended program for trimming roms for an R4?

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    None that I know of. It might just be a one-off chance that a rom will have a problem when trimmer. I believe the safest trimmers are the DS-X manager and Rominator/DSClippers

3. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    You will have problems with a trimmed game if the trimmer delete a part of the game.

4. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    None of the recently developed trimmers would delete part of the game, unless the rom dump has false information about the actual ROM size (there are a few that state the size to be Zero, which is crap on the game developer's part)

5. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    as hank said they will only delete if the rom header has an incorrect size, currently only one rom is like that and i'm frialy sure it's a (j) one.

6. Xtreme Bug

Newcomer Xtreme Bug Newbie

United States
    Eh, I tried trimming Billiard Action (E) in Rominator with the safe trim option set and it resulted in a corrupt rom. Tried obtaining that rom from different sources and it ended up in a corrupt file every single time (Neither my R4 or Rominator itself would read it). Other than that, everything else I've tried has turned out perfectly fine.

7. Kyuzumaki

United Kingdom
    Should have mentioned if you use RomeR you can fix that problem in settings tick the option "fix header length pointer" and hit apply it will fix the header and should prevent the rom from being overtrimmed [​IMG]

8. yukine

Member yukine GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Puyo Pop Fever 2 becomes corrupted when trimmed. Do trimmers tend to corrupt (J) games?

9. Kyuzumaki

United Kingdom
    Not really the reason it corrupts the game is the header has a value in it which should tell you the size of the rom excluding empty space. The current trimmers read that number and then delete the empty section from the end. Some developers don't bother with the number for whatever reason so if the number is 0 the trimmer will delete everything and corrupt the file. The fix i described using romer puts the current filesize into that space so the rom won't overtrim but it will occupy the full 16MB or 32MB etc that the original cart did

10. yukine

Member yukine GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ah! I understand now. Thanks for the explanation Kyuzumaki.