matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A month ago I patched my JUS rom with the english patch. It worked fine. Just a couple of hours ago, I decided to trim my roms and when I trimmed JUS, it went down to 500-600kb. Ridiculous right? I thought that it'd be unplayable, but to my surprise, it worked perfectly fine. Wifi, single player, music, animations, saves, everything. Is that normal?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
of course it is not possible. clearly there is some error causing the file to appear smaller than it really is or something like that.

Dominator

the world end without you
Trophies
Website
www.ipodtutofast.com
XP
Country
France
this is the game soul, that all, you kill the rom but the game live in your flashcard
biggrin.gif

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would seem it's an error, but it stays at 500kb no matter what I do (move it around and stuff) If JUS was over 500kb, then there would have been an error or something when filling up the space it's "supposed" to take. But I can fill my flashcard up fine without any error occurring.

Can someone check this for me? What I did was patch it up with the english patch at http://deufeufeu.free.fr/wiki/index.php?ti...JUS_Translation (latest one). Once done, I trimmed it using the NDSTokyoTrim 2.16 downloaded at http://techsuki.net/nintendo-ds-rom-trimmer/ . If anyone can help me, it'd be gratefully appreciated. And who knows, maybe I've stumbled on a way to crazily compress the game size, saving everyone 50 mb of space.

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no point of patching a trimmed rom it doesnt save space anymore:
If you checked, when you patched JUS it would have been 2-3 mb less than original.
If you had trimmed and not patched it would have been same size as well.
So patching and THEN trimming is useless

ZyberMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
Why not just skip trimming it?
you are missing the point if the game didnt work.... then ya he should skip trimming the rom... but that fact that he patch and then trimmed the rom and ended up with a 500-600kb rom that works it worth a try.

by the way what flash cart and sd card are you using?

ZyberMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cris92x said:
There is no point of patching a trimmed rom it doesnt save space anymore:
If you checked, when you patched JUS it would have been 2-3 mb less than original.
If you had trimmed and not patched it would have been same size as well.
So patching and THEN trimming is useless
you seem confused...
JUS - 65,536 kb
JUS trimmed - 64,437 kb
JUS patch - 64,396 kb
and according to matrix121391 when he patch then trim JUS he got a 500-600 kb file that works...
or maybe im the one who is confuse
blink.gif

cris92x

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your the one confused... if patching it made it smaller then trimming is useless...
Its probably a glitch in his computer... or microsd card

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
the crux of the matter is that JUS has way too much data inside to be trimmed or cxompressed so small.

even if the rom could be compressed (and such a huge amount at that), the Ds wouldn't be able to run it because it is not designed to run compressed roms.

the numbers are tricking you. if the rom works the clearly the data is present on the card, it is just not being displayed to you.

format your memory and copy all the files bak. trim the rom again.

ZyberMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
umm just tried trimming my patch JUS rom with NDSTokyoTrim 2.16 and total savings was 62.04mb so i end with a 864kb rom so it not a glitch on the computer or sd card... however there a log that say
QUOTE said:
"WARNING: File was previously trimmed incorrectly (or rom is homebrew). Proceeding to fix: Jump! Ultimate Stars (EngSubs).nds
Jump! Ultimate Stars (EngSubs).nds: 65058384
Processing Finished.
i then test that 864kb rom and it works... this doesnt make any sense this shouldnt work but it does

Batman55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try filling up the SD with like 1MB left, then add in JUS and see if it will actually fit. I think it just says 500KB, but in reality it's larger.

matrix121391

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So... here's what happened. Oh, and in response to a person who posted above, I'm using an R4 with latest firmware (1.18) and a 2gb SanDisk SDcard. Anyway, I was telling my friend about my ridiculously compressed JUMP file and when I tried to show it to him, all I got was a blank screen on both. But this was after I fidgeted around with the file. I was told that it was an error on behalf of the computer reading the memory, so I moved it onto my desktop and other folders before I transferred it back onto my SD card. Since then, it's stopped working. My theory is that if you patch and trimmed while the ROM is in the SD card and you leave it untouched, it'll work. But if you move it elsewhere then bring it back, it fails to work. And in response to another post before, I'm sorry I cannot provide pictures because I do not have a camera or recorder capable of uploading pictures and videos onto my computer. But whether you want to take my word for it, I am not known to tell lies and I'm not telling people this because I want attention. I just thought it was strange and came on the board to ask for help. Thank you all for answering to my post though!

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
matrix121391 said:
So... here's what happened. Oh, and in response to a person who posted above, I'm using an R4 with latest firmware (1.18) and a 2gb SanDisk SDcard. Anyway, I was telling my friend about my ridiculously compressed JUMP file and when I tried to show it to him, all I got was a blank screen on both. But this was after I fidgeted around with the file. I was told that it was an error on behalf of the computer reading the memory, so I moved it onto my desktop and other folders before I transferred it back onto my SD card. Since then, it's stopped working. My theory is that if you patch and trimmed while the ROM is in the SD card and you leave it untouched, it'll work. But if you move it elsewhere then bring it back, it fails to work. And in response to another post before, I'm sorry I cannot provide pictures because I do not have a camera or recorder capable of uploading pictures and videos onto my computer. But whether you want to take my word for it, I am not known to tell lies and I'm not telling people this because I want attention. I just thought it was strange and came on the board to ask for help. Thank you all for answering to my post though!

Theres a reason why people tell you don't copy files over one another but delete them first. With hard drives and flash memory, when you delete/edit/copy a file, the original file is still there with the new file on top of it basically. When a file is deleted, the data is still there and intact, its just marked as deleted hence why recovery software can pull up delete files. Now when you trimmed the file, the trimmer did in fact remove the extra data and basically just left the patch in stead though due to the nature of flash memory, the data was still there and was still being read by the R4. Though if you have moved the file or even copy a new file to the flash card, the old data would have been over written and not work anymore.

Also just a heads up about the trimmer, the reason why the trimmer removed so much of the file is due to the patch using wrong headers about the files data so the trimmers believe the file is smaller than it actually is hence why it gets over trimmed. Though the patcher itself trims the file as its patched so it doesn't need to be trimmed any further.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL