Hacking Question Tri-Wing Y00 screwdriver/bit to purchase in order to hardmod Switch on >=4.1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insighted

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been snooping around to find a Y00 screwdriver/screwbit following the recent news from ktemkin that at launch firmware versions 4.1.0 and above will require a easy hardmod to be hacked using Fusée Gelée.
Has anybody bought a Tri-Wing Y00 screwdriver(or screwbit) that they can vouch works with the disassembling the Switch?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been snooping around to find a Y00 screwdriver/screwbit following the recent news from ktemkin that at launch firmware versions 4.1.0 and above will require a easy hardmod to be hacked using Fusée Gelée.
Has anybody bought a Tri-Wing Y00 screwdriver(or screwbit) that they can vouch works with the disassembling the Switch?
Yes that's the right size in my experience. You may also want a 000 Phillips if I recall the size correctly.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Haha, someone is gonna have an aneurysm when they see this thread.
;)

No - but, I really need to spend those 2-4 dollars wisely - so does anyone in here know if the 2mm (stands for millimeter), or the 1.5mm version of the Y00 screwdriver (which is one size by definition) is the correct one, because I think 0.5mm makes a difference, especially since I dont trust screwdrivers to get narrower towards the tip.

Also I see all those vendors who have already successfully sold Switch controller replacement shells, bundling screwdrivers of exactly the same size, but I just cant decide.

I also know that all listings on ebay, amazon and Aliexpress are basically from the same chinese vendors, because I read that other thread (which also had links in it).

But still, could I please, quickly occupy five people to give ME a personal link on which to click - to buy something that works? I really am so unsure of how to spend my 2-4 dollars...

*small sigh*

*wink*

I give up.

I can not do anything more.. ;)

This truly is the MEEEEEEEEE generation. ;)

(Wait until they find out, that they need something else for the hardware assisted mod.. ;) Which they might. )

Last edited by notimp,

Wasabi Ice Cream

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone in here know if the 2mm (stands for millimeter), or the 1.5mm version of the Y00 screwdriver (which is one size by definition) is the correct one, because I think 0.5mm makes a difference, especially since I dont trust screwdrivers to get narrower towards the tip.

It's 2.0mm exact. Pretty sure Y00 is a bullshit measurement somebody made up, and people just followed.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Size 2, according to someone that bought one and tested it in some other thread.
I never questioned what this "size 2" meant, but quite probably it's 2mm as stated by the poster above.

Reactions: peteruk

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
It's 2.0mm exact. Pretty sure Y00 is a bullshit measurement somebody made up, and people just followed.
*Sigh*

yCt7j1W.png

Pretty sure the MEEEEE generation is just full of attention seekers hellbent on trying to seed as much misinformation - in their short time on earth - as humanly possible. Maybe a bit too harsh - but you get the sentiment.

Let me ask you a question on which I actually request an answer on. If you know nothing. If you didnt read what other people posted, if you make up ideas in you mind - why do you have to preface them with "[I'm] pretty sure", and why do you have to give them out as advice to others. Prompting yet another posting from someone else that might care to correct you?

edit: Everyone can make mistakes, but I've now explained this three times already - and still, people post, before reading.

I'm not going to explain it another time - go read up on it in the other thread.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In other news. Pretty sure the moon doesnt exist.

I didn't bother googling though.

Last edited by notimp,

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
*Sigh*

yCt7j1W.png

Pretty sure the MEEEEE generation is just full of attention...
Some countries doesn't use 'zeroes' as sizes for precision screwdriver. Back in my home country, we use zeroes but here in the UAE, they measure the screwdriver in metric (ie 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm). And yes, Y 2.0 is an exact fit so I think Y 2.0 = Y 00.

PS. If you're having a bad day for the past couple of days, don't spread it here buddy.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Eastonator12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait so if my switch came on 3.0.0 and i updated to 5.0.1 do i need 2 do this hardmod or am i good?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
ok. also just realized that it came on 2.4.0, does that make a difference?
It doesn't matter what firmware you were on before. What matters is what firmware you're on when atmosphere is released.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
notimp is always having a bad day... it's often quite bothersome to deal with.
notimp is in here, reading this as well - so if you want to strike up a conversation lets go.

Its extremely bothersome to always have to deal with people who

- show time and time again, that they rather would post than read anything - beforehand
- deal with false information spread by people wanting to add to the conversation so badly - that they'd rather post complete and utter misinformation, calling actual information "bullshit" (thats a ver betum quote), and prefacing it with "i believe" - then not even giving as much as an argument.
- having people in here come in as some sort of good guys after the fact, stating the obvious. Then maneuvering you into a corner you don't want to be in - simply because you didn't repeat an information already given (which you did out of principal, and also stated as much.)

I quote myself:
There is no universally accepted designation for that screwdriver bit. At least two different outlets started producing these kinds of screws originally, calling them slightly different names - which is where Y and trywing and trybit came from as designations.

The correct diameter for the tipsize seems to be 2mm (will double check could be 1.5mm). We are currently going off the documentation iFixit provided (Y00), and what most of the chinese vendors for the Switch controller replacement shells sold to their customers (controllers use the same Y00 screws as the Switch base unit).

So annson24 in principle nagged me three times there. (Could have been by mistake - just saying. ;) )

- Not recognizing that I tried to bring people to look up this information in the other thread and preventing that, by giving a short an easy info dump.
- Which only duplicated what I said so myself before - but was phrased in a way that made it seem like entirely new information that needed to be brought to my attention
- Projecting, that my reaction was caused by "having a bad day because of other stuff" - which it wasn't at any point.

So lets find out the motivation behind me reacting in the way I did.

This thread doesn't need to be prolonged, kept open, or moved to the top of the queue. If anything it needed to be deleted/merged with the already existing thread on this very topic.

This thread didn't need to be prolonged with actual misinformation at a second time today.

The wrong information needed to be confronted - as it was phrased to be a proactive "guideline" for people going forward, not encouraged with a "hey there bud, I hear you". (Giving the wrong information also was preventable by a simple google search).

The concept of me trying not to repeat myself for the third time on the same topic - was undercut.

My motivations for reacting harshly were misrepresented.

Then "behind the back chatter" got established to "teach me a lesson".

Could you see any way - how this could have been handled differently - without me just having to step back and say "well I guess, If I stress one more time, that my behavior was driven by purpose and not ego" - everyone will start do dislike me, because I insisted that people were wrong or at least in part hypocritical, past the point where everyone could live with it.

Why is everything going on in here in regard to people, not looking up existing threads, not reading posting, providing wrong information, others not confronting it, undercutting hints that people really should start reading stuff - because you wouldn't repeat yourself for a third time -- a priory OK.

But every grumpy reaction to it -- bothersome, because the result of that person having a bad day.

Its not my bad day thats causing be to spread my emotions in here. Its this very forum - being unable to not fail to selfcorrect for five, ten times in a row - on the same issue.

Lets get some basics established.

- You don't post a new thread before reading the front page of a forum, if the same topic already exists.
- You don't post misinformation that can be caught by reading the information already available on the frontpage here, or with a simple google search - positioning it as a recommendation for people going forward.

Can we at least agree on that? Those are some really basic forum etiquette rules.

Also - as I am writing this my anger has vanished - but what I am not willing to do is to accept, that this is primarily my fault - caused by "a few bad days" I must have had - outside of this forum. This was not the case.

If a moderator reads this, merge the two threads, give me a warning for un"bro"like behavior, if you must - but lets not act as if this came out of the blue and the reaction was unprovoked...

Last edited by notimp,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lets get some basics established.

- You don't post a new thread before reading the front page of a forum, if the same topic already exists.
- You don't post misinformation that can be caught by reading the information already available on the frontpage here, or with a simple google search - positioning it as a recommendation for people going forward.

Can we at least agree on that? Those are some really basic forum etiquette rules.
Don't write such a long post to say something so simple. Well, actually, write it however you want, but know that if you just go straight to the point more people will get what you are trying to say.

Yes, I agree.
Also - as I am writing this my anger has vanished - but what I am not willing to do is to accept, that this is primarily my fault - caused by "a few bad days" I must have had - outside of this forum. This was not the case.
Yeah, sure it's not "a few bad days", you are taking it too literal. What is implied is that you write in an aggressive way that only hurts your cause, if what you wanted is to communicate something. It ends up making people close further to your message, you are attacking them after all. I mean things like "Pretty sure the MEEEEE generation is just full of attention seekers", etc.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Just for flavor - I also have a pretty good idea, why this is happening for two days now.

If you search for Y00 switch or Y00 screwdriver on the low price platforms such as Aliexpress, no matching results will show up. Furthermore chinese vendors mixed 2mm with a 2.0 designation thats not really explained either.

Yet Y00 is the first lead you get from google, when looking up switch screwdrivers (thanks to the highly ranked ifixit teardown and a gamefaqs posting (for reference: I've quoted both in the past)).

I ran into the same issue yesterday - and subsequently "solved it" which took me about 15 Minutes. Then I provided information and two aliexpress links.

What happened subsequently - was people running into the same issue, asking around, doubting their purchases, and giving wrong tips. The way out of this was always to look at existing listings for the switch on those low price plaptforms (f.e. controller replacement shells) and compare what screwdrivers (designations) they were listing.

What happened instead, was people thinking that others must have gotten their orders in in 2 days instead of 4 weeks, requesting personal information accounts. Which then happened from people who actually bought the screwdrivers at local stores, who then posted photos of packaging stating one of the three designations above - which made everyone happy for a short period, but then the "but where is link to click on?" questions started again.

Presuming (/knowing ;) ) that - also didnt exactly help. (It was the notion of "if I can find this out in 15 minutes and post how I did it" - why is everyone else relying on and requesting personal recommendations?") *hrm*

Then someone stated, that Y00 was like the moon and doesn't exist. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1