Transferring emunand from mSD to mSD

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by cultopi, Sep 18, 2015.

1. cultopi
    OP

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    If I use the emunand tool, will I lose the ability to access mSD via wifi in emunand on new mSD?

Myself, I would restore original Nand first, then format emunand on new mSD. The emunand tool guide doesn't say anything about this.

2. reiyu

reiyu Canadian, eh?

Jan 8, 2008
    Canada
  3. LameNobody

LameNobody Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2015
    Canada
  4. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    No, no issues would happen and nothing would break if you follow this:
    1. Grab emuNAND Tool 1.0.3 (works for Windows) https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/

Steps for your current mSD card:

2. Take out mSD from console and connect it to your PC through a card reader.
    3. Copy all files and stuff from the drive that shows in Windows to a folder on your PC (includes Nintendo 3DS folder and files in your root directory... basically everything)
    4. Run emuNAND Tool 1.0.3 and click on "Extract emuNAND" button, save the emuNAND.bin somewhere on PC. Let it complete till 100% and wait few seconds after it completes just to be safe.

Steps for your new mSD card:

5. Put the GW launcher.dat on new mSD and insert it in your console, run the exploit as usual to go to GW launcher menu and select "Format emuNAND" (it will create the hidden emuNAND partition the same way as your previous mSD has).
    6. Turn off console, take out mSD card and now connect this one to your PC, delete all contents from new mSD (like Nintendo 3DS folder if there is any) and copy back the contents that you backed up from your previous mSD to this one.
    7. Run emuNAND Tool 1.0.3 again and this time click on "Restore emuNAND" button and select the emuNAND.bin that you backed up from your previous mSD.

8. All done! Put the new mSD back in your console and everything should work as it was with your previous mSD.

PS. Recommended SD card size for O3DS is 16GB max. and mSD card size for N3DS is 32GB max. And to be safe keep the previous SD card and don't format or delete anything from it until you are sure that the new one is working fine.

Last edited by Just3DS, Sep 18, 2015
  5. cultopi
    OP

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    Yes I was looking at this guide, but it doesn't say when you create a New emunand on new mSD card, it will create from the sysnand WITH the DS profile exploit installed which your new emunand loses the ability to connect to a PC via wifi.

6. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    But you are not even touching the sysNAND. All you need is to get access to GW launcher just to create the hidden emuNAND partition on the new mSD (we are not considering the emuNAND that it has copied from sysNAND) which you going to write again with your current emuNAND that you backed up from current mSD using emuNAND Tool, because emuNAND Tool doesn't create emuNAND partition.

Last edited by Just3DS, Sep 18, 2015