Not open for further replies.

vinsm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Bit of a long shot here but I recently had my Wii stolen (WiiKey chipped) and am wondering if there is anyway to track it down via WiiConnect or something similair?

Thanks in advance.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
vinsm said:
Bit of a long shot here but I recently had my Wii stolen (WiiKey chipped) and am wondering if there is anyway to track it down via WiiConnect or something similair?

Thanks in advance.

Don't really think so !? ....Maby if you knew its MAC address you could of informed Nintendo.. and they could blacklist it from online play and thats about it
frown.gif
(Thats if its ever used online)?! ...

But even that can be altered! ......So unfortunately you don't really have a hope in hell with it sorry
frown.gif

Sir_Shaggy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have the email address of your wii, send the thief an email. Wii email addresses are like this: w################ at wii dot com (# = 16 number digits which I think is your serial number). If they reply see if that email has an IP address, from there you can lookup the internet service provider. Take this information to your local police along with the thief's internet service providers (ISP) abuse.at.whateverinternetservice dot com. This is the domain administrator contact information. Explain to the police you had your wii stolen, and here is the IP address it which the thief responded from. The police could get the thief's home address from the ISP and go claim your wii back.

Its a long shot but its worth a try.

Here's some extra reading on how to extract an IP address from an email. http://www.johnru.com/active-whois/trace-email.html
Trace the ip address and find the abuse.at.whateverinternetservice dot com information with a whois command-> http://network-tools.com/

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Sir_Shaggy said:
If you have the email address of your wii, send the thief an email. Wii email addresses are like this: w################ at wii dot com (16 number digits which I think is your serial number). If they reply see if that email has an IP address, from there you can lookup the internet service provider. Take this information to your local police along with the thief's internet service providers (ISP) abuse.at.whateverinternetservice dot com. Explain they have your stolen wii, and here is the IP address it was sent from. The police could get the thief's home address from the ISP and go claim your wii back.

Its a long shot but its worth a try.

Here's some extra reading on how to extract an IP address from an email. http://www.johnru.com/active-whois/trace-email.html
Trace the ip address and find the abuse.at.whateverinternetservice dot com information with a whois command-> http://network-tools.com/

Sounds like you've had to do this sort of thing before. Had an ex-gf stitch you up and disappear have we?

Sir_Shaggy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bazamuffin said:
Sounds like you've had to do this sort of thing before. Had an ex-gf stitch you up and disappear have we?

lol nope I just know little about the internets. Its more than a series of tubes. Its serious business!

vinsm

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the replies (and the lols). Police obv informed + lost some other stuff too but...
rolleyes.gif

Might see if I can track that email address down - thanks Sir Shaggy.

Sir_Shaggy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
vinsm said:
Might see if I can track that email address down - thanks Sir Shaggy.

No Problem. Good luck!

QUOTE(hatredg0d @ Dec 3 2009, 02:29 AM) the wiis ip dose not change.

The Wii's IP does change and can be changed. Mac Address on the other hand does not change, unless you change the NIC card, or change from wifi to wired adapter.

Sir_Shaggy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hate to double post but I was thinking if you registered your Wii with Nintendo, they would have a record of this 16 digit number associated with your Wii. This 16 digit number I believe would be the same as the email address. Try logging into your account at nintendo.com and see if you can find that number if you remembered registering it.

Once you email your Wii, it should glow blue when they connect to the internet and beep at them for a message on their wii menu. If anything you could annoy the thief hehe.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir_Shaggy said:
Hate to double post but I was thinking if you registered your Wii with Nintendo, they would have a record of this 16 digit number associated with your Wii. This 16 digit number I believe would be the same as the email address. Try logging into your account at nintendo.com and see if you can find that number if you remembered registering it.

Once you email your Wii, it should glow blue when they connect to the internet and beep at them for a message on their wii menu. If anything you could annoy the thief hehe.
that number can be changed very easy.

Hmm, my wii's ip hasn't changed. but my computers change every day. my computers ip's always start with 71. but the wii's always 192. it may change through lan, but dont it stay the same through internal wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Ah shit, here we go again. I ain't represented Grove Street in five years, but the...