Touchscreen only games now allowed?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by thorasgar, Feb 27, 2017.

1. thorasgar
    OP

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    http://flyhighworks.heteml.jp/games/voez/

I had not really thought about this before but it appears Nintendo is going to allow touch screen only games on the Switch. That opens it up the all the Candy Crush's and Mobile Strikes of the mobile gaming world. Are pay to win and micro transactions in the Switch's future?

Could a developer choose to produce a TV mode only game?

Does this sort of thing help the Switch or dilute some if it's core messages?

CatmanFan and Zense like this.

2. Phemeto

Phemeto GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States
    Since nintendo is getting more into the mobile market, I wouldn't be surprised to see them have their own Eshop that is full of mobile games for the switch.

3. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    i think it is a great idea.

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    I hate the idea, some people want to use the switch as a home console only. I don't want to be forced to use it as a tablet.

antiswirl likes this.
  5. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You aren't forced. Some games just work in a tablet mode better than with controlers.
    It is your own choice to get this apps / games.

6. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    IF they do this split it will kill the system.

I understand a few games that are touch screen only being low price mobile games. But TV only would kill the main point of the switch.

7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    This game clearly says it has no button input. I don't mind using it in portable mode to play zelda on the go (but mainly play on TV), but I don't like the thought that some games can only be played on tablet mode
    (and I want to play it)

8. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    i doubt there will be TV Only games. wouldn't make any sense for that kind of console. But who knew what will come this year~

Yeah. I bought my smartphone to use it only for Mails, Work or instant messaging friends / familie. Damn all that Smartphone Games thats are smartphone only and not available on the pc. I really want Pokemon Go on my Pc :/

Use see the point?

Last edited by DarkIrata, Feb 27, 2017
  9. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    Yeah I guess.

It might have been patched but you could with an emulator.

10. DarkIrata

DarkIrata GBAtemp Fan

Jun 12, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Naah already banned :D

11. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Maybe it is not for you. Not everybody wants it as a home console only. Many people are so used to mobile as touch screen. So I think it is a great idea for mobile games only on the go and home console for other games. It is very flexible and allow 2nd and 3rd party supporting to creative whatever they wants to do with it. Yeah, it it a good idea. You need to keep your mind open and you might change your mind when you realise it. :)

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  12. thorasgar
    OP

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    How would the Pokémon community feel if the next main game is on the Switch, requires touch screen and is handheld only?

13. SagaP

SagaP Member

Newcomer
    Nov 3, 2015
    Venezuela
    I don´t think so, i mean why? TV mode is just video output there no gameplay element restraining the the developers.

Maybe? with nintendo puling DLC in breath of the wild, i wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of small developers start flooding the store with this kind of games (games with the aggressive F2P model), but we just have to wait and see.

But at the end i think this brings more good than bad things, now there is even more freedom for developers, there are lot of good small games that only use the touch screen (i mean that game looks GREAT), and Virtual stores (any virtual store) have always been home of lots and lots of shovelware anyway.

14. Phemeto

Phemeto GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2016
    United States

I would be pretty mad. I never liked touchscreens, they controls are never accurate enough. I know for a TB game like pokemon it would be fine, but I also know there would be plenty of times where I don't want to carry around the switch tablet to play. controller are comfortable, and don't require constant swiping and tapping on the screen.

15. eechigoo

eechigoo GBATemp Rabbit

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    Hell
    complete with 8976876675765 fashion games,384392854875847 minecraft clones and fruit ninja :)

16. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Mountain out of Mole Hills people!

jt_1258 likes this.
  17. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    It makes sense not to allow it since Switch isn't a two-screen system. I'm a bit bummed MK8-Deluxe won't have a list of items' from the opponents or the cool ability to click on the Miis while waiting for everyone to choose the track to race on. :-/

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    "That opens it up the all the Candy Crush's and Mobile Strikes of the mobile gaming world. Are pay to win and micro transactions in the Switch's future?"
    Is this really a "this, therefore that" type situation? Microtransaction bollocks of the current form (I remember arcades) seemed perfectly at home on the 3ds and I could see the same happening on any network enabled system, and probably a few offline ones as well. There is nothing inherent to touchscreen input that makes it more amenable to such charging models, there is also nothing inherent to buttons that renders them more resistant.
    Frankly after the stagnation of the 3ds I actually kind of welcome something from that world. No chance I will ever pay for such a thing of course but if it forces someone to approach things a bit differently I am down. Likewise I like the rolling release model of some mobile games.

Could a developer choose to produce a TV mode only game?
    I don't know what the regs are (they can be fairly odd and quite specific, some of the best I think being ones I read of Sony's once where there was a time limit by which time you had to have a press start screen) but I can imagine there will be offerings that might only have a token handheld mode that barely functions.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  19. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    sells would drop alot.
    That would be a no go. You know how many people have been asking for a home pokemon.
    AS said this will kill the system if they choice to do only modes.
    I dont mind the 1 or 2 no really heard of games that are like this. Even if candy crush came to the switch in a touch screen only mode wouldnt be bad.
    But if you start to have real games and main games. Then the switch will start to die.
    Nintendo needs to have a stander. The games must be playable in TV and handheld mode.

20. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    There was also that Star Fox DS which required touch-screen controls and even though it was good, it was ruined by that stupid fan-fic stories and the touch-screen controls.