Touch screen sensitivity between 3DS and 3DS XL/LL

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xwatchmanx, Aug 23, 2012.

1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    So, I was originally going to stick with the original 3DS, but I kind of got tired of the cramping from the grip being too small, and I don't keep my 3DS in my pocket as much as I used to, so I'm considering grabbing the XL. But I have a question.

Does the touch screen require (how do I say this) broader "strokes" for gestures to be registered, or does it compensate for this?

For example, in games like Kid Icarus: Uprising which use the touch screen for aiming, do I have to make longer strokes to get the same effect as a shorter stroke on the original 3DS would? Or does the XL compensate for this?

Sorry if this is a poorly worded question... I'm having trouble thinking of any other way to describe it. Any answers (preferably from people who've owned both the original and XL) would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    I don't have KI Uprising, but I'm quite certain that you need to make longer strokes because the games are designed for the original resolution and original screen size.

It's nice to see some evidence though because I don't have many touch centered games. My closest title was Bomberman Land Touch (for DS) and it required longer strokes.

3. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Hm... that's a bit disappointing. :( Thanks for telling me.

I just wish there was a way to verify BEFORE buying whether this would cause problems for me. I use a thumb stylus for games with touch screen aiming (Metroid Prime: Hunters, Kid Icarus: Uprising), which would make the chance of issues even greater...

That said, maybe aiming with the actual stylus would be easier on a bigger screen...

4. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I dont own a XL but, even if you have to deal with longer moviments, I think that it is just a matter of get used with it. It should cause you no problem

1 person likes this.
  5. retrodoctor

Banned retrodoctor Banned

United States
    The screens are both 90% larger, so it would still be a matter of your eyes reacting to the top screen by functioning on the touch screen. Unless your hands are really small, then you might have a problem with the XL.

2 people like this.
  6. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Thanks, guys!

7. chris888222

Singapore
    The screen itself is just as responsive than original, it's just software dependent as to whether it needs longer strokes or not.

8. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i can only comment on the dsi. you do make longer movements with the stylus because the screen is bigger and there is more area to cover. however, the graphics are proportionate so the distance between movements is relative to the normal dsi. all-in-all the larger screens are a much more enjoyable experience, and i would imagine it is the same for the 3ds.

-another world

9. Lucifer666

Member Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Antarctica
    In Kid Icarus Uprising you can change the stroke sensitivity in the settings. Just making sure you know that.

10. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Thanks. And yes, I do know that. Thing is, I already keep sensitivity on the highest setting because I hate having to make broad strokes on the original 3DS. lol.

Anyway, all in all based on what everyone is saying, I'm not too worried. hopefully in the next few months, I'll grab a 3DS XL.

11. chris888222

Singapore
    You should grab one. The screens are decent, the form factor is good and the overall design is pleasant too.

This stylus thingy should be the least of your worries since it is proportional.

12. Eerpow

Member Eerpow *swoosh*

Sweden
    Don't worry, sure your thumb needs to move 90% more than before but the touch area is bigger so you should in theory have even more precision than before when you set the sensitivity to max.
    I have the thumbstylus too and I don't have it on max since I feel more precise when it's a little below that.
    The more comfortable grip should compensate too.

Also the ABXY area "measuring from the touchscreen to the left or right edge" should be a little thinner on the XL.
    The screens are huge so it makes sense if the area surrounding the top and bottom screen are thinner, the system itself is not 90% bigger than the original 3DS after all.
    That means that your thumb will actually be closer to the screen than before.

1 person likes this.