Total wii clone possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mikezila, Feb 20, 2009.

Feb 20, 2009

Total wii clone possible? by mikezila at 6:20 PM (2,011 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I bought a Wii a few days ago for the purpose of homebrew, and while normal homebrew works fine, it has a new boot1, and won't be able to use BootMii when it drops. My brother has an older one, like a launch model, that has an ancient boot1 that will work with BootMii just fine. Is there any way for me to swap all of his VC games and WiiWare to my console, so we can trade? I heard there was a way to transfer re-download rights from one console to another.

2. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    mayby the fish disc, but i prefer using wad manager [​IMG]

3. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    Will WAD managers work for something like this? I thought that VC titles were bound to a Wii by it's ID number?

What about savegames, will those work if I just load them onto an SD card and transfer them?

4. upbumpo190

Member upbumpo190 GBAtemp Regular

France
    Use FS-nand (? not sure, but I think this is the right one) dumper to dump your nand (not full dump, but dumps wads), and then use a tool to extract the wads from the dump, which you install with wad manager on the new wii. A google search will find you the wad extractor, and the nand dumper is findable on google, and on wiibrew.org

As for the savegames, for the most part they are transferable, but savegames from online games, you can't, unless you use preloader hacks, or Gamma's rebooter to unblock them. (No-Copy Hack)

~ Chris

P.S. If I come across the name of the extractor, I'll edit my post.

5. ddp127

Netherlands
    no, you cant rip them of your memory, but i dont buy all those vc games again if i already bought them for the original system [​IMG]

btw. link about the wii backup disc
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Backup_Disc

that moves the redownload licences, but i dont know how it works

6. upbumpo190

France

You say that, but explain how I succeded with that method, buying a WiiWare game on a friend's Wii, dumping it, and installing it on my Wii...

I am pretty sure that you are incorrect!

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You can give new wiiware or vc titles as a present to other wiis in the shop, but you can't transfer the ones you have already downloaded (unless you switch the NANDs or somthing)

8. ddp127

Netherlands
    look at my link about the backup disc, ninty uses that to transfer licences from a broken wii to a new one

9. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I guess I'll give the NAND dump a try when BootMii comes out.

Though I think it would be easier to just buy him, say, $50 in Wii points to re-coup his loss and just let me swap with him.

10. upbumpo190

France
  11. mrtankjump

Newcomer mrtankjump Advanced Member

United States
    You could just "obtain" backups of your games, then install them via wad manager. That's the easiest way to do things. As far as boot1 swapping, no it's not possible.

12. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    i dont think you can transfer the liscence rights, maybe linking the shop account with the old wii will work, wouldnt risk it tho

13. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I'm not looking to pirate or "backup" anything, I'm just trying to get my brother's VC games onto my Wii so I can trade him Wiis so that I can use BootMii when it comes out.

Does using this NAND extraction magic give him the rights to re-download them should he delete them, or does it just give him a copy of the games?

14. swf3

Banned swf3 Banned

United Kingdom
    can you pm me a link to download the fish disc pleases.

15. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Just go download the wads online and install them with wad manager. it's a lot easier.

Or use a tool to remove the no copy protection on the channels and transfer them to an SD. then insert that sd in the other unit and use the tool to remove the no copy protection on that wii and copy them from the sd card. If I recall correctly that also works.

16. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    boot1 is in the nand but most possibly sha1 hash of it is in the otp area of the cpu... so you need to swap otp area of the cpu too which I think nearly impossible...

so if you ever successfully swap the nand chips you'll get two wiis that both can't boot...

http://hackmii.com/2008/05/boot0/

ps: if we are talking about two wiis that have same boot0 and boot1 then I guess it's doable...

17. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It may not possible to do what you want to do in a legal manner. IMHO, it's perfectly ethical, but legal? Probably not.

The pinkfish disc (officially "Wii Backup Disc") is not generally available, although it does what you want to do. It can transfer settings and VC licences, although your brother would need to redownload his VC stuff from the shop channel for free. To use it would require either obtaining a pirate copy or somehow obtaining one from inside a Nintendo repair centre.

If you have the VC titles as WADs, whether you dump them yourself or "obtain" them, I believe (I could be wrong, somebody please correct me if I am) that when you install them they will have fakesigned tickets, and it will be (from Nintendo's point of view) the same as if they were pirated in the first place. You are (or someone else is) backing them up and then reinstalling them, which is the exact same process as pirating them, whether you like it or not.

18. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I'm not trying to switch nand chips. I'm going to swap the entire console. I'm trying to get his games onto my Wii so I can give him my console, which has a new boot1, in exchange for his, which has an old one.

19. mikezila
    OP

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    I'll just download and install WADs of his games then. Or seeing as how he only has a few games on there, I guess I could just pay for him to replace them on my Wii.

I really didn't mean to get into all of this dumping, extracting, and whathaveyou. I thought it was possible to just copy a ticket and move the download rights, or maybe swap shop accounts.

20. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    That's what Nintendo repairers use the Wii Backup Disc for. To the best of my knowledge there's no known homebrew way of moving valid tickets, WADs are installed with invalid tickets.