adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright, so here's the situation:

I have a 1TB Toshiba External HDD, model # PH3100U-1EXB.
My system is set up according to the guide at http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171901
Every time I try to get into any usb loader program I get the Exception (ISI) code dump.
My HDD has a Virtual CD in CDFS format that cannot be deleted, and I've tried formatting it through windows, partion wizard and GPARTED, including some other small apps. The Virtual CD is likely the cause of this.

Here is what I've done in attempts to fix this:

Tried NeoGamma, USB Loader GX, Custom USB Loader, uLoader with a WBFS formatted partition and a FAT32 formatted partition. I separated that partition using partition wizard.
NeoGamma just does nothing, USB Loader GX crashes upon loading when hard drive is plugged in, custom usb loader crashes upon loading hard drive, and uLoader gives me a different error, but I don't recall what that was.
And yes I've used Custom USB Loader in FAT mode with 222 as well. And I tried partition = FAT1 and partition = FAT2 within the config.txt of Custom USB loader.
And yes the plug is in the correct usb slot.

I've also tried hiding my main partition on the hard drive, removing the letter, setting the game FAT32 partition to Active/Boot. It's also not set to logical but primary.

So that's probably about all I've done.. I can't think of what else. Let me know what you think.

jstevenson72

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt the virtual cd has anything to do with it. I have used several WD drives which do the same thing, they have an additional memory chip in them that loads a virtual partition within Windows, I have not seen this cause issues with the Wii.

So I assume you planned to use a WBFS partition for your games, and not a FAT32 partition. Either way in my experience cIOS 222 works best for compatibility with external Hard Drives. So make certain you are loading the appropriate .dol file for use with cIOS 222.

Good Luck,

Jake

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
You would be correct the Toshiba virtual CD plays havoc with Wii experience with there USB drives has proven that time and again.But if yours is hard disk that can be deleted only by taking it out and installing it in your computer have it as the only hard drive conncted and start an install of any windows os so when you get to the hard drive part you delete all partitions make a new partition and format it when it finishes just cancel install turn off your comp and put it back in its case

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses. One more thing for me to add real quick:
The stack dump doesn't actually have anything listed. All it says is stack dump:, but that of course is after all the other gibberish which never seems to change.

jstevenson72: Yeah I've tried a few different cios's, 222 was been one of them. Good tip though. But that doesn't do the trick.

cobleman:
I'm a little confused by what you said but I'm interested in what you're going for there. Could you please help me understand a little bit better?
Are you suggesting for me to take it out of it's case entirely? And I think I know what you're talking about, the beginning section of the windows install where you're prompted to partition a drive in NTFS. How is that any different from formatting though?

Thanks for the tips, keep em coming. Hopefully I am wrong and my HDD works just fine and I'm just missing something obvious.

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's an image for reference:

87852127-149x149-0-0_Toshiba%20Toshiba%20PH3100U%201EXB%201%200TB%20Desktop%20Externa.jpg

I also forgot to mention I've used the Cruzer USB thumb drivers or whatever brand that is. They have a built in Virtual CD feature as well, but those operate just fine for me.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
adambomb said:
Thanks for the responses. One more thing for me to add real quick:
The stack dump doesn't actually have anything listed. All it says is stack dump:, but that of course is after all the other gibberish which never seems to change.

jstevenson72: Yeah I've tried a few different cios's, 222 was been one of them. Good tip though. But that doesn't do the trick.

cobleman:
I'm a little confused by what you said but I'm interested in what you're going for there. Could you please help me understand a little bit better?
Are you suggesting for me to take it out of it's case entirely? And I think I know what you're talking about, the beginning section of the windows install where you're prompted to partition a drive in NTFS. How is that any different from formatting though?

Thanks for the tips, keep em coming. Hopefully I am wrong and my HDD works just fine and I'm just missing something obvious.
Windows will not allow you access to the permissions you need to delete the virtual drive. So it needs to be connected as a primary disk so you are able to delete the virtual drive and the main partition then as a raw drive you reformat.There is also the fact the drive will also go to sleep on you so dont leave it paused for more than a few minutes at a time or see if toshiba has a fix for the sleep mode.Just before you do have you tried the new rev850 UsbloaderGX?

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cobleman said:
Windows will not allow you access to the permissions you need to delete the virtual drive. So it needs to be connected as a primary disk so you are able to delete the virtual drive and the main partition then as a raw drive you reformat.There is also the fact the drive will also go to sleep on you so dont leave it paused for more than a few minutes at a time or see if toshiba has a fix for the sleep mode.Just before you do have you tried the new rev850 UsbloaderGX?

Alright, will try that soon. Going to bed now, will try when I wake. I have tried the latest rev of usb loader gx, yes. Not any better for me.
Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that didn't work. Trying Hiren's now to see what else I can do.
Isn't there some way a loader could just ignore the virtual drive being opened up?

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting update: Hard drive works on GeeXboX.
Don't know why I didn't try it sooner. Doesn't solve my issue but it shows that my hard drive could work with a USB loader.

Deleted member 199854

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bring this topic back to the forefront, but OP, did you ever get this thing working. I have the same error as you, and I'm wondering what I can do. If anything, I will be returning the drive and complaining about it.

Spyder42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did anyone ever figure this issue out? im having the same exact issue with the same HDD and i havent been able to find a fix anywhere

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no fix until a dev on a usbloader adds support. All I can do with this HDD is load it through geexbox, everything else crashes. If you both report the issue to some devs there might be some effort into fixing the issue.

I found a tool that is supposed to remove the virtual cd, a person working at acomdata (they designed the virtual cd software) sent it to me. It will format your drive. However it won't work for me, so it's probably for a smaller drive (less than 1 tb):

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjhmqztz0vj

adambomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have this drive? Toshiba posted a fix to remove the virtual cd but I don't want to format my drive and find out that it still doesn't work with a usbloader.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...lFamily=2409110
click on "The Desktop External Hard Drive Powers Off and is No Longer Recognized by the Computer" I would direct link but I can't. There's a link for a newer version of the drive converter on there.

assembler01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does this drive work now? The USB devices compatibility list shows it as working (noting you must remove the virtual drive of course). I got one for christmas but I read this topic before and thought it wouldn't work so I forgot about it for a while. Has anyone had it fully working yet?

Thanks.

ralphlauren

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this drive works great. It still enters sleep mode on the PC after a short time, and literally has to be unplugged and plugged back in to do ANYTHING (including use your computer).

Just use Toshiba's program to remove the Virtual CD, and you're good to go. The power-saving mode will kick in after about 5 minutes when idling on the Wii menu, and forwarders will have to be opened once to spin the drive back up, and a second time to successfully boot your program.

I can only speak with regards to Wiiflow and Triiforce - both work and prevent the drive from entering sleep when in use and the HDD is essentially problem-free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte