Hardware Top Screen Replacement (New 3DS XL)

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was wondering if the top screen of the N3ds XL and the O3ds XL are the same because they sell it online as N3ds/O3dsxl screens

No, they're very different apparently due to how 3D works on the N3DS because of super stable 3D or something like that.

Posghetti

Un-official ReVeluv Leader
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats what im wondering about, but someone said that its the infrared scanner on the top of the screen that i solely responsible, im not sure.

That "infrared" scanner on the top screen is the new "Super Stable 3D" that I am talking about. It's supposedly "scanning" your face while 3D is on to make the view better or something like that lol, not much I know about it.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That "infrared" scanner on the top screen is the new "Super Stable 3D" that I am talking about. It's supposedly "scanning" your face while 3D is on to make the view better or something like that lol, not much I know about it.
yea, From what i get is that the IR Blaster work together with the camera to see the location of your eyes to determine your heads position. So i assume that that is also something to do with a additional chip on the motherboard as well as software to do that. So i guess it maybe the same screen.

Reactions: Posghetti

jordguitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea, From what i get is that the IR Blaster work together with the camera to see the location of your eyes to determine your heads position. So i assume that that is also something to do with a additional chip on the motherboard as well as software to do that. So i guess it maybe the same screen.

Infrared camera is part of the camera assembly which sits above the screen (front and IR facing you, 3d pair facing out). It attaches (very awkwardly) to those 2 ribbon cables that jut out on the side of the screen via a separate chip.

jordguitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update time: Just picked up the screen after voting and throwing it all back together. Give me about a hour and I will let you know how this screen fairs.

Tips as I go:

Do NOT thread the wifi cable through the hinge until you get the ribbon cables done. The cable will hold up alot better than those ribbons so it can wait a bit.

You are going to need to thread the ribbon cables one at a time to not loose your mind. They can take some torture but be careful. Also dont even think about securing those speaker boards until the hinge is engaged again.

THE SPEAKERS ARE LITERALLY HITLER
BRING SOME STRONG TAPE TO THIS REPAIR BECAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RESEAT THESE THINGS MULTIPLE TIMES

Yea the cable broke so that goes that screen. Going sell this one for scrap on ebay and get a new one used I guess. I cant do these cables on this medicine. This sucks hard.

My hands are still twitching so I got to boil it down to the medicine I take. These ticks are horrible.

Kinda sucks really but I can sell off the parts. The motherboard is flashed with a firmware back from September of last year which I know allows homebrew.

Last edited by jordguitar,

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update time: Just picked up the screen after voting and throwing it all back together. Give me about a hour and I will let you know how this screen fairs.

Tips as I go:

Do NOT thread the wifi cable through the hinge until you get the ribbon cables done. The cable will hold up alot better than those ribbons so it can wait a bit.

You are going to need to thread the ribbon cables one at a time to not loose your mind. They can take some torture but be careful. Also dont even think about securing those speaker boards until the hinge is engaged again.

THE SPEAKERS ARE LITERALLY HITLER
BRING SOME STRONG TAPE TO THIS REPAIR BECAUSE YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RESEAT THESE THINGS MULTIPLE TIMES

Yea the cable broke so that goes that screen. Going sell this one for scrap on ebay and get a new one used I guess. I cant do these cables on this medicine. This sucks hard.

My hands are still twitching so I got to boil it down to the medicine I take. These ticks are horrible.

Kinda sucks really but I can sell off the parts. The motherboard is flashed with a firmware back from September of last year which I know allows homebrew.
Thanks for the status report, I have replaced screens on all of the older D's consoles, from DS all the way up to DSi. And I have a idea of that annoying ribbon coil that raps around the wifi antenna. I'd imagine it's the same for the 3ds only with the addition of that separate chip on the side

jordguitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the status report, I have replaced screens on all of the older D's consoles, from DS all the way up to DSi. And I have a idea of that annoying ribbon coil that raps around the wifi antenna. I'd imagine it's the same for the 3ds only with the addition of that separate chip on the side

The wifi antenna chip is the WORST

It is not secured by anything except friction on two plastic pegs.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSA: the N3ds XL and the O3ds XL screens are NOT the same. The wire is longer on the N3ds screen and the cable going to the volume switch is bigger

also how do i post smaller photos?

f3e51c0d-4f18-44fe-9e4d-45ccc49fc871

mkebpft.jpg

Ajtdw9g.jpg

jordguitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tore down the 3ds I tried to repair. Out of all the ZIF cables, the camera one stood up the best. It has some kind of coating which makes it much more difficult to tear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries