Hardware top screen different color from bottom

Zarich

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had my 3ds since april of last year. I remember commenting on how closely the top and bottom screens matched in color. However, lately I have been bothered by the fact that my top screen has a slightly more purple tint and my bottom has a slightly more yellow tint. This means if I staring at two white screens the bottom looks more like real paper and the top has a slightly bluish or purplish hue. This is most noticeable in the activity log where you have the grid background. The top grid looks SUPER white with almost a very minor bluish or purplish cast (that is how I describe it). The bottom has more of a yellowish cast that makes it look a little more like real paper.

Is my 3ds going bad or is this normal and it just never bothered me before?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
with the ds lite. the crimson red models had a yellowish bottom screen, i went through several returns till i found a perfect one.

badnat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bottom screen is more yellow than the top, and both my screens are a bit more yellow than my first 3DS (returned because of bad D-pad)... These kind of discrepancies are normal and you're much more likely to get one with varying screens than not.

HoratioGiovanni

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaaaaah! I hate this crap! Why is it so hard to manufacture LCDs of uniform quality!? I returned a DSi XL 6 times before Nintendo basically told me I was "imagining" the difference in color. The average gamer might not notice the difference, but in my experience, the average gamer also takes very poor care of their handheld, so they probably can't see the screen through all the scuffs and scratches. The different tints on the screens bugs the hell out of me, and I fear that when (if) I buy a 3DS, it's going to bug me there, too.

And while we're on the subject of scuffs and scratches, why isn't Nintendo using better quality screen lenses? I am very careful with my Nintendo handhelds, but sometimes their screens develop scratches just from me LOOKING at them. On the other hand, I have a cell phone that I treat like crap, throw it in my pocket with coins and keys and whatever else, and it has nary a single scratch!

I've not been a fan of the physical quality of Nintendo's portables lately. Wonky screen tints, cheap D-pads, and L and R buttons that fail like clockwork. I certainly wouldn't mind if they were a touch more expensive, as long as they were built better.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You'll only notice it in the menus because they are white. Once you start up a game you'll forget about it.

And the problem seems much worse than it actually is because the DS has 2 screens to compare side by side. If you take a couple of different PSPs and compare you'll probably notice a difference there too.

HoratioGiovanni

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but the problem is that I do notice it, even during gameplay. Like, while playing any Pokemon game, the upper screen on my DSi is so yellow, it seems like the sun is setting in-game, even when it isn't. Maybe I just have better eyes than most people, but it sure is annoying to pay 180 bucks for a brand new system and have these issues. I can only imagine how upset I'd be if I'd paid 250 for a 3DS when they were new.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol